Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ricky Hatton's future, and why it seems to have gone wrong (response to threads)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ricky Hatton's future, and why it seems to have gone wrong (response to threads)

There's a million threads on the shortcomings and seemingly bad choices Hatton has been making concerning his opponents, his quality as a fighter, and his inability to fight at 147.

So far he's struggled to win most people over, and I can see why. The problem is it isn't Hatton who gets to choose his opponents, basically HBO says you can fight this guy this guy or this guy, and Hatton and his team picks the best one. Last time it was Juan Lazcano, who got injured, so instead he had to pick Collazo, who is a tricky, skilled and massively underated fighter.

This time, HBO have asked him to fight Urango, fresh up and comer with a belt. Rabah v Urango did very well on ESPN, so its a guy the general fight fan goes "I remember that Urango guy," and also, the fight is bound to bring out the very best Hatton has to offer, and is guaranteed to be extremely exciting.

Its a long term plan, towards the Castillo fight, look at it this way. HBO sell fights, if Hatton has an exciting and impressive performance in January, more people will watch him against Castillo, it could very possibly make PPV because that too is an exciting fight and a very tough one to call.

So, if everything goes to plan, Hatton is a big name, exciting, world champion and needs a fight in autumn 2007, he's made HBO a lot of money and has huge exposure, he is in a terrific position to A) Make HBO and himself huge money, and B) more importantly for me and you, the proper fight fans, Get a fight against PBF, Cotto, Margarito or (in dreamland) ODLH and make ridiculous PPV money.

For the proper fight fans, like the ones on this forum who are in the know, it looks like he's ducking everyone, he can't fight at 147 etc, but this is a business. Before PBF faught Gatti, and one fight afterwards, he couldn't sell tickets, he was less known, and the ones who know him in the mainstream know him as this cocky asshole that slapped bitches in the club, who was fighting lesser known lightweights (who were great fighters, but not a name like Gatti), and who used to call himself the best, but he certainly wasn't the superstar he is today. This is no disrespect to him as a fighter, because he's one of the best, and has been for years, but HBO had a long term plan for him, and now its coming to fruition, with the De La Hoya fight. He's P4P no.1, everyone knows him, he's a celeb and he's getting paid like one.

To me it looks like they're trying to do the same with Hatton. They've signed and arranged his next 2 fights (Urango and Castillo) and that isn't a thing they'd do if they weren't planning on making him the next big thing in the states, for the mainstream boxing fan. The Urango fight is to get people who don't know him talking, it looks like they underestimated Collazo's skill, or overestimated Hatton's 147 credentials, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for that fight because, he's hardly ever looked unimpressive in his 41 outings (Vilches is an exception) and the only variable between the Collazo fight, and his other 40 fights was the 147 move up.

To boxing fans in the know, I think their harsh judgements are completly fair, because we are an impatient breed, we want the big fights and we want them now, we want the guys touted for the top to look impressive against guys who are less known, but I'm pretty confident that 95% of the boxing fraternity will be won over by Hatton in 2007. Sorry for the rant, but I can't sleep, its 3:15am, and my mind is full with university stuff, I needed to let my mind wander. I've done my best to be as open and unbiased as I can be, and I'm just trying to add my point of view. Let me know what you think.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ricky Hatton's future, and why it seems to have gone wrong so far.

His future has gone wrong?

Someone better tell him quick!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel

Read the post again mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ricky Hatton's future, and why it seems to have gone wrong (response to threads)

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    There's a million threads on the shortcomings and seemingly bad choices Hatton has been making concerning his opponents, his quality as a fighter, and his inability to fight at 147.
    for a very good post...now let's get to the meat of the situation & pick it to the bone.

Agreed...there are a mill threads & they all insight vicious arguements over Hatton & Floyd's short comings...& like it or not people...that's what this forum is all about. That being said...onwards:

Yes...I believe that Hatton has been making some wack ass choices in his opponents...but if people have no problems with his picks, those of his promoter, or recent endorcer HBO...why should they have regarding other fighters?

Oh well.

So far he's struggled to win most people over, and I can see why. The problem is it isn't Hatton who gets to choose his opponents, basically HBO says you can fight this guy this guy or this guy, and Hatton and his team picks the best one. Last time it was Juan Lazcano, who got injured, so instead he had to pick Collazo, who is a tricky, skilled and massively underated fighter.
    Honestly...Hatton's won me over...it's quite often his fans that I don't get...but the fans are not the man.

HBO or Warren may have a say in Hatton's opponent...but they are not the last line of the answer. Anyone that believes that...well...your'e wrong. That was directed at you 100% yoitsdan...that was a broad statement. Yes...Hatton & his team pick the man in the end...but I would surely state that it is not the best one.

This time, HBO have asked him to fight Urango, fresh up and comer with a belt. Rabah v Urango did very well on ESPN, so its a guy the general fight fan goes "I remember that Urango guy," and also, the fight is bound to bring out the very best Hatton has to offer, and is guaranteed to be extremely exciting.
    I disagree about Urango doing well against Rabah...but I do agree that of late...casual fans seem to be having more of an effect on match ups than networks, promoters, or the fighters...scratch that...not the most say...but the most influence.

Here's where I get a bit upset...& I don't mean this directed at you...so don't take it that way...but I mean the general mentality is summed up in this statement: "I remember that Urango guy," and also, the fight is bound to bring out the very best Hatton has to offer, and is guaranteed to be extremely exciting."

Urango is a sure win for Hatton & most likely a KO. He's wide open & he's gonna be an easy strap to gain. Hatton fans welcome this fight with open arms but they critique Floyd for taking Gatti, Judah, Mitchell, & Baldomir.

I don't rate Gatti...but I would put him up against Urango any day. Urango is green & he can't box out a gameplan for shit. Sorry...but he just can't.

The fight is a sham...not to mention...it's a bail out. Hatton faced opposition at 147 in the form of Collazo...& down he goes to 140. Still the critique of Mayweather producing snoozers at 147 persists from fans & the man.

It's just wrong.

Its a long term plan, towards the Castillo fight, look at it this way. HBO sell fights, if Hatton has an exciting and impressive performance in January, more people will watch him against Castillo, it could very possibly make PPV because that too is an exciting fight and a very tough one to call.
    Long term plan or not...it's still not something that I as a fan of my guy would really be able to stand behind with a straight face. I have huge issues with the fact that Hatton has been fed a steady diet of fall guys excluding Kostya & no one has an issue with that. I am even more unnerved that he can just bail out on his conquest to devastate America by hurricane...but once the winds died down...he just tropical storms his ass outta the states to regroup along the coast.

The possibility that Floyd may very lose to Oscar (& that's all I got to say about that...heh heh heh) is out there...but atleast he was able to make a statement at 147 before he downgrades himself...if he were to do so...& that is that he beat the linear champ & lost when he fought a living legend 24 pounds out of his own weight class.

So, if everything goes to plan, Hatton is a big name, exciting, world champion and needs a fight in autumn 2007, he's made HBO a lot of money and has huge exposure, he is in a terrific position to A) Make HBO and himself huge money, and B) more importantly for me and you, the proper fight fans, Get a fight against PBF, Cotto, Margarito or (in dreamland) ODLH and make ridiculous PPV money.
    Honestly...none of those fights really interest me. I'd rather him just take on Castillo or Corrales or someone like that & see what materializes.

I really don't care about seeing him in with Floyd anymore...I just don't...actually...I go back & forth on that one. Heh heh heh.

For the proper fight fans, like the ones on this forum who are in the know, it looks like he's ducking everyone, he can't fight at 147 etc, but this is a business. Before PBF faught Gatti, and one fight afterwards, he couldn't sell tickets, he was less known, and the ones who know him in the mainstream know him as this cocky asshole that slapped bitches in the club, who was fighting lesser known lightweights (who were great fighters, but not a name like Gatti), and who used to call himself the best, but he certainly wasn't the superstar he is today. This is no disrespect to him as a fighter, because he's one of the best, and has been for years, but HBO had a long term plan for him, and now its coming to fruition, with the De La Hoya fight. He's P4P no.1, everyone knows him, he's a celeb and he's getting paid like one.
    I agree...it's a business...in the end...I really don't have a problem with him dropping the weight class...it's the hypocrisy of it that bothers me...I know that everyone get's tired of hearing me say "what's good for the goose" phrase...but seriously...if he can get off saying he's coming to America to dominate...I think Floyd get's a pass by saying he's gonna TKO Baldo & then just totally shuts him out over 12 rounds...atleast he won convincingly at 147.

To me it looks like they're trying to do the same with Hatton. They've signed and arranged his next 2 fights (Urango and Castillo) and that isn't a thing they'd do if they weren't planning on making him the next big thing in the states, for the mainstream boxing fan. The Urango fight is to get people who don't know him talking, it looks like they underestimated Collazo's skill, or overestimated Hatton's 147 credentials, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for that fight because, he's hardly ever looked unimpressive in his 41 outings (Vilches is an exception) and the only variable between the Collazo fight, and his other 40 fights was the 147 move up.
    HBO is indeed grooming Hatton...but he better be able to deliver on the master plan. Honestly...I think HBO is just setting up the other mega fight for 2007 or 2008...Floyd vs Hatton.

But again...to the comment of the weight issue for Hatton...asshole or not...Floyd surprised me & carried the weight & TKO'd Mitchell & shut out Baldo. Still impressed.

To boxing fans in the know, I think their harsh judgements are completly fair, because we are an impatient breed, we want the big fights and we want them now, we want the guys touted for the top to look impressive against guys who are less known, but I'm pretty confident that 95% of the boxing fraternity will be won over by Hatton in 2007. Sorry for the rant, but I can't sleep, its 3:15am, and my mind is full with university stuff, I needed to let my mind wander. I've done my best to be as open and unbiased as I can be, and I'm just trying to add my point of view. Let me know what you think.
    Agreed. We are all impatient...& higly judgemental...I am cut of the same cloth. Seriously, I also get impatient & easily pass judgement...but I also try to call it like I see it afterwards & I always try to be as unbiased as I can...not to say that I am...but I do try.

I am won over by Hatton now...but I am not a die hard fan of him or of his style.

I need my boxing served up to me in the form of what I have always admired about the sport...technical...tactical...tantalizing.

I love a speedster, a slixter, & a tactician. I don't need a knockout every time I pay $49.95 or flip the switch on...to me...boxing is the art of scoring points, hitting, moving, & not getting hit. That is the way I grew up on boxing...that is what I learned boxing was all about.

In the end...it is...but in the end...that is what preference is & that is why opinions are opinions & we can all have them.

Now...my opinion of this post...nice. Very pleased & a good read. You done good me son. Again...

Hope my opinions didn't offend & I wasn't trying to take any wind outta your sails...just being honest.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel

Read the post again mate.
    The title makes no sense, what hope has your post got?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ricky Hatton's future, and why it seems to have gone wrong (response to threads)

cheers buddy, I enjoyed your response, its great that we're from 2 ends of the spectrum, yet we find middle ground, and I can totally see your points, sometimes I find myself thinking "How can anyone actually think that?" And I'm sure everyone else on this forum has that though pop into their head too, but when people take a breath, and either read, or write its plain as day to see why they think that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cheers buddy, I enjoyed your response, its great that we're from 2 ends of the spectrum, yet we find middle ground, and I can totally see your points, sometimes I find myself thinking "How can anyone actually think that?" And I'm sure everyone else on this forum has that though pop into their head too, but when people take a breath, and either read, or write its plain as day to see why they think that.
    Agreed. Love to talk it out...it often works for both posters & we can all kind of get into each other's heads & see what makes the other guy tick regarding their fighters...what's even better is coming to a common ground instead of acting like a buncha retards over it.

Again...good post. Should spark lot's of good debate.

I like Hatton...but he aint my favorite...he's got a good back story & I like some of the things that he's done...but I aint to sure of the direction he's headed.

We shall see...I won't pass full judgement on the gent until he nears his wrap up period...he get's a few names down...he's golden...he closes out with chumps...well...then he proves all of his critics right.

I still think that he's got a shot.

I won't throw in the towel on him...but I won't grab an oar to row either.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Thread Information