Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE UNIFICATION FIGHT(s)?!?!

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE UNIFICATION FIGHT(s)?!?!

So right now here's how we have it: WBA Nicolay Valuev-WBO Shannon Briggs and IBF Wladimir Klitschko-WBC Oleg Maskaev

The fights are being negotiated and I think as long as nothing strange happens these will come off.

SO, who do you have winning? How? What's next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE UNIFICATION FIGHT(s)?!?!

Valuev and Klitschko win.

Valuev can take Briggs shots and oddly has better stanima.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    So right now here's how we have it: WBA Nicolay Valuev-WBO Shannon Briggs and IBF Wladimir Klitschko-WBC Oleg Maskaev

The fights are being negotiated and I think as long as nothing strange happens these will come off.

SO, who do you have winning? How? What's next?
    You don't have Wlad beating Maskeav do you Lyle
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Briggs and Maskaev both win by ko and what follows is the worst title unification match in boxing history.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where are you getting this from, Lyle? Have the sanctioning bodies all agreed to allow this? Last I heard every one of these guys has a huge stack of "mandatories" that are supposed to come first. Maskaev's got the winner of Toney-Peter II, assuming he gets by the tomato-can he's set to fight in Europe. Briggs has someone he's supposed to fight. . . .

If it did happen this way though, I think Briggs KO's Valuev. They're both terrible, but Briggs is way more skilled and a much bigger puncher (for the 3 rounds that his stamina lasts, anyway).

El Kabong Guest

Well #1 Wlad said "I want a unification match"

www.klitschko.com "Vitali, what’s next? How likely is it that Wladimir will have a unification fight?
    The likelihood of Wladimir carrying out such a fight is very high…But while the contract for such fight is not signed, it’s hard to speak with full certainty.

From all of today’s champions which one is most likely to face Wladimir next?
    If there will be no force-majeure circumstances than it’s Oleg Maskaev. "

#2 The Maskaev fight almost came to fruition instead of the Brock fight

#3 Shannon Briggs called out Wlad at the press conference

#4 i have read about a Briggs-Valuev matchup from Maxboxing

I'm not 100% sure that any of these fights will happen but it's looking more likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think valuev beats briggs by a nail biting decision, and wlad knocks out old oleg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Valuev KO over Briggs. Valuev will take his shots and get the KO late due to Briggs's lack of stamina
    Wlad KO over Oleg. Wlad is to good for a limited Oleg.
    Wlad decision over Valuev. Ackward fight for Wlad, he will get a KD or two, but I think Valuev will barely survive till the end.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Well #1 Wlad said "I want a unification match"

www.klitschko.com "Vitali, what’s next? How likely is it that Wladimir will have a unification fight?
    The likelihood of Wladimir carrying out such a fight is very high…But while the contract for such fight is not signed, it’s hard to speak with full certainty.

From all of today’s champions which one is most likely to face Wladimir next?
    If there will be no force-majeure circumstances than it’s Oleg Maskaev. "

#2 The Maskaev fight almost came to fruition instead of the Brock fight

#3 Shannon Briggs called out Wlad at the press conference

#4 i have read about a Briggs-Valuev matchup from Maxboxing

I'm not 100% sure that any of these fights will happen but it's looking more likely.
    1., 2. Maskaev has this joke fight against someone I've never heard of first, and then has to fight the winner or Toney-Peter II. It will be at least 8 months before a Wlad match would be even theoretically possible. (of course, it won't be possible, because Toney and Peter both beat Maskaev). I believe Wlad has a mandatory against Austin too.

3., 4. Briggs has to fight Sultan Ibragamov before he can think about lining up any kind of unification fight with Wlad, Valuev, or anyone else. He can talk all the shit he wants, but there's already a purse bid for the Sultan fight. (very questionable whether Briggs wins this)

Bottom line: I think we'll go another year before any belthoders fight each other, and at that point we'll have different beltholders (except Wlad and maybe Valuev, neither of whom will face anyone good).

El Kabong Guest

ESPN's Dan Rafael
    After Wladimir Klitschko knocked out Calvin Brock in the seventh round last week to retain his heavyweight championship, he said he only wanted a unification bout in his next fight. Klitschko could get his wish. There have been preliminary talks between the Klitschko camp and Dennis Rappaport, who promotes titlist Oleg Maskaev. If Maskaev is successful defending his belt Dec. 10 against Peter Okhello in Moscow, the target date for a possible Klitschko-Maskaev bout is April 28 on HBO. Organizers would like to go back to New York's Madison Square Garden, where Klitschko drew a raucous crowd of 14,260 to fight Brock. A fight with Maskaev probably would be even bigger because of the unification aspect and the fact that Maskaev has been based in New York since moving to the United States.

Shza there is a possibility of it happening...do you think Wlad-Austin would make more money than a title unification bout between Wlad and Oleg

Also Toney-Peter II better be a good fight because honestly the last one sucked balls

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure Wlad could get around the Austin fight, but I don't think Maskaev will be able to get around the Toney/Peter fight. We'll see, but I don't see either of those guys taking money to sit out, especially considering that they'd both be favored against Maskaev.

I totally disagree about the first Toney/Peter fight--it was one of the more action-packed HW fights in a while. It sure beat the hell out of Briggs-Lyakhovich, Brock-Ibragamov, Austin-Ibragamov, Maskaev-Rahman and Rahman-Toney. The only unsatifying thing about it was the clearly wrong decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad and Vlauev by Ko

Then Wlad cuts down the giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe that Sultan is next for Briggs but..if there was a unification bout it would be Klitschko and Valuev ontop unless Briggs were to lose a lot of weight.

My logic is this........Wlad wins because with the exception of defense, Wlad is an all around better fighter than Oleg or any one else out there for that matter. He is truly a dominant fighter and the best since Holyfield was in his prime.

As for Valuev Briggs..
    If we were talking the Briggs that hopped in the ring with Lewis a few years back, then I would probably pick Briggs...but we're not so...
    Briggs had a hard time holding his hands up for Sergei who is 6'4. He will aso lose something throwing up as infrequently as he does...imagine him trying to throw punches at the 7'3 trajectory. Plus his punch output just isn't enough.

I don't believe that both of these will happen though, maybe one but not both. There is too much money to be made with the belts the way they are.

El Kabong Guest

Wlad's defense isn't too terribly bad these days....Brock couldn't land much on him and he was fairly active.

I think Briggs would rock Valuev...honestly he's the first power puncher Nicolay would eat that right cross all night

Thread Information