Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Will Paul Williams Rule the Welterweight division in 3 years?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Paul Williams Rule the Welterweight division in 3 years?

Paul "The Punisher" Williams stands 6'1", has an 82" reach, is a Southpaw, fights welterweight and is 25 years old in the prime of his life. Though he has not fought any of the really big names in the division . He has a significant reach advantage over everyone and averages about 110 punches thrown a round. Not to mention the average height in the welterweight division is about 5'8" his 6'1" frame would also make a difference. Is there anyone out there who would even be a challenge for this guy.... Everyone seems to be running from him but THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RUN FOREVER.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Paul Williams Rule the Welterweight division in 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by mezy602
    Paul "The Punisher" Williams stands 6'1", has an 82" reach, is a Southpaw, fights welterweight and is 25 years old in the prime of his life. Though he has not fought any of the really big names in the division . He has a significant reach advantage over everyone and averages about 110 punches thrown a round. Not to mention the average height in the welterweight division is about 5'8" his 6'1" frame would also make a difference. Is there anyone out there who would even be a challenge for this guy.... Everyone seems to be running from him but THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RUN FOREVER.......

there is no way that williams is still fighting at 147 in three years, but he may very well rule 154 or 160.

and the only person running from paul williams is antonio margarito

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly if Tony fights Williamas after Clottey and Williams wins then I could really see Williams being a major threat in the WW divison within the next year to year and half, However 3 years I would have to agree with what someone else said he will have moved up in wieght.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702

there is no way that williams is still fighting at 147 in three years, but he may very well rule 154 or 160.

Hit the nail on the head CC, the guy has to run 11 miles EVERY morning to maintain his weight. I think he'll get a title at welter and then move up.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't think a
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep

Hit the nail on the head CC, the guy has to run 11 miles EVERY morning to maintain his weight. I think he'll get a title at welter and then move up.

I didn't think about that you guys are right he probally will move up in weight. But I can't see him moving up in weight until he has created a significant name for himself. by beating some fighters with names... Even if he moves up to 154 he will have a significant advantage.... This guy throws way to much punches so to out point him is impossible... I also agree to the fact that margarito is ducking him but margarito was trying to get a fight with PBF he knows if he lost to Williams the PBF big money dream would be out of the question....
    But I can't see any WW in the division with a name wanting to fight this guy... I didn't know he ran 11 miles a day thats why he stamina is so great and he can throw so many punches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He won't be at 147 past 2007. Williams has already said that he would go to 168 for a big fight. I see him chasing down Margarito for the title. Then moving all the way up to middleweight to clean up the division after Taylor moves up to super middleweight or light heavy. I don't see anyone with a hard enough punch to stop Williams under 160, that includes all of the elite fighters too. I really think that this kid could be the most underrated fighter in boxing. For god sakes, he will always be the much bigger man from welterweight to middleweight, he uses his jab, he throws 100 punches a round regularly, he's exciting, his defense is lacking but he'll fix his problems with experience. I really don't see anyone beating Williams under 160 right now, that includes Floyd, De La Hoya, Margarito, Mosley, Judah, any of these guys. The guy is just WAY too active and too big and has a good sturdy chin. PBF can't potshot someone that active and big without getting caught. And he's so busy De La Hoya and the rest of these guys will tire out late. He's like Kassim Ouma with a TON more size and a more power. His promoter really needs to step up his competition though, they need to set him up with the winner of Margy/Clottey, then beat up on Collazo, and then bait the winner of Cotto/Quintana into a fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Williams is all that. His defence was decidely leaky against Mitchell and Matthysse and a real puncher like Margarito will cause him big problems. He has obvious physical gifts at Welter but as he goes up the weights those gifts are going to become more average until he settles as a super middleweight who is suddenly the same size as everyone else. Call me a cynic but I have a feeling that we're going to be disappointed by Williams in the end.

El Kabong Guest

...no way he makes weight in 3 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Williams & all that...but I have less faith in him than most do.

I don't know that Williams would get past Margarito to be honest with you.

I'd love to see him try either Antonio Marg or Kermit Cintron.

Cintron would be the fight that I'd rather see first...then Margarito...if he get's past Clottey. After that...I, like everyone else, think that he'd have to move up to 154 or 160.

He's a big bwoy.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Tony or Cintron are too mature, and they'd knock his block off. I was very impressed by the way he dismantled sharmba mithcell, but he doesn't have a robust look about him, I think Margarito especially would tear him apart.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yep margarito is running from williams and margarito fans cant denie it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    He won't be at 147 past 2007. Williams has already said that he would go to 168 for a big fight. I see him chasing down Margarito for the title. Then moving all the way up to middleweight to clean up the division after Taylor moves up to super middleweight or light heavy. I don't see anyone with a hard enough punch to stop Williams under 160, that includes all of the elite fighters too. I really think that this kid could be the most underrated fighter in boxing. For god sakes, he will always be the much bigger man from welterweight to middleweight, he uses his jab, he throws 100 punches a round regularly, he's exciting, his defense is lacking but he'll fix his problems with experience. I really don't see anyone beating Williams under 160 right now, that includes Floyd, De La Hoya, Margarito, Mosley, Judah, any of these guys. The guy is just WAY too active and too big and has a good sturdy chin. PBF can't potshot someone that active and big without getting caught. And he's so busy De La Hoya and the rest of these guys will tire out late. He's like Kassim Ouma with a TON more size and a more power. His promoter really needs to step up his competition though, they need to set him up with the winner of Margy/Clottey, then beat up on Collazo, and then bait the winner of Cotto/Quintana into a fight.

I think there must be two Paul Williams in the division as the one your talking about I don't know at all!

The Williams who beat Sharmba Mitchell in a size mismatch but who still got caught flush several times and the Williams who struggled to put away that non-nentity who he fought last month, (the guy who took the fight at 24 hours notice) would be in way over his head with Margarito.

His size will give a lot of people problems for sure, but he has no power in his punches, and he cant possibly be strong at this weight, he looks like a big right hand could snap him in two.

If and when him and Margarito get it on I'm predicting him to be KO'd within 8 rounds.

His height is a big advantage over the smaller welters but he doesnt have a whole lot else going for him. He throws a lot of punches but he's no Tommy Hearns. As for moving up to 160, I can name loads of people who would kick his ass, Mosely, De La Hoya, Ouma, Powell, Winky, Taylor etc.

He will get found out soon enough......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To suggest Tony is ducking him shows signs of ignorance...what proof do you have? Do you know why a fight was not made for December? Has Williams said Margarito is ducking him? Did you even hear of Williams before his fight with Mathyyse? These same posters willl then say,if and when Tony beats him,he was over rated etc etc the same old BS.

Williams at 147 is surely a force to be reckoned with due to his physical stature,endless stamina and great chin and can cause anyone problems but I think Tony should beat him,Tony's more hardened and rugged,more experience and I'd expect him to prevail. Also,Williams physical attributes may not be enough when he is moving up through the weights. With a defence like that,imagine what a guy like Karmazin or Jose Rivera would do? At 147,I'd like to see Williams fight a Quintana,I want to see how he handles someone slick or a Cintron fight would be awesome!

And no way will he be at WW in 3 years. He's too big.

Thread Information