Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I thought Golden Boy Promotions was supposed to save boxing.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I thought Golden Boy Promotions was supposed to save boxing.

I've been reading up on Golden Boy Promotions and some of the things that Oscar has been saying recently. GBP came out initially and said that they were here to give fighters a good home and save boxing. Well recently ODLH has come out and said that he will never do a co-promotion with Bob Arum / Top Rank due to the Pac-Man drama and their past beef. Isn't this exactly what GBP wasn't supposed to do? GBP knew that boxing really needed to make the big matchups in order to improve the overall health of the sport and increase visibility. Well vowing to never do business with another big-time promoter is possibly the worst thing for boxing. Basically, we can kiss PacMan-Barrera II, Mosley-Margarito, or Corrales-Castillo III @ 140 or 147 goodbye. It's obvious that the two promoters don't like each other, but GBP came in to the game with good ideals that had a lot of people excited. Now after seeing GBP try to sign Pacquiao and Corrales while they were still clearly under contract with other promoters and Oscar vowing to never do a co-promotion with Top Rank, I'm afraid that they've just become one with the other scumbag promoters and dirty sanctioning bodies. Maybe things will change later, but right now it seems like GBP isn't doing anything great, they are just adding to the problem. I kinda have a feeling that these old fogies (ODLH, Mosley, B-Hop, Barrera) are using GBP to make as much money as they can for themselves before they retire. I mean, Tito-Mosley, give me a fucking break. Is this almost 2007 or is it still 1999?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I thought Golden Boy Promotions was supposed to save boxing.

Great points there...

It does seem that GBP is a bit of a retirement pension for the fighters of yesteryear.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate, was it ever going to be that one man could come in and save boxing? I don't think that it can happen personally, we have what we have and that's all that we are going to get. I'm sure that every promoter who comes into the game say these kind of things, but it's easier to say these things than actually get them done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are unselfish and don't have an ego, then you can make it work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    I've been reading up on Golden Boy Promotions and some of the things that Oscar has been saying recently. GBP came out initially and said that they were here to give fighters a good home and save boxing. Well recently ODLH has come out and said that he will never do a co-promotion with Bob Arum / Top Rank due to the Pac-Man drama and their past beef. Isn't this exactly what GBP wasn't supposed to do? GBP knew that boxing really needed to make the big matchups in order to improve the overall health of the sport and increase visibility. Well vowing to never do business with another big-time promoter is possibly the worst thing for boxing. Basically, we can kiss PacMan-Barrera II, Mosley-Margarito, or Corrales-Castillo III @ 140 or 147 goodbye. It's obvious that the two promoters don't like each other, but GBP came in to the game with good ideals that had a lot of people excited. Now after seeing GBP try to sign Pacquiao and Corrales while they were still clearly under contract with other promoters and Oscar vowing to never do a co-promotion with Top Rank, I'm afraid that they've just become one with the other scumbag promoters and dirty sanctioning bodies. Maybe things will change later, but right now it seems like GBP isn't doing anything great, they are just adding to the problem. I kinda have a feeling that these old fogies (ODLH, Mosley, B-Hop, Barrera) are using GBP to make as much money as they can for themselves before they retire. I mean, Tito-Mosley, give me a F****** break. Is this almost 2007 or is it still 1999?
    was thinkin the same

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been reading up on Golden Boy Promotions and some of the things that Oscar has been saying recently. GBP came out initially and said that they were here to give fighters a good home and save boxing. Well recently ODLH has come out and said that he will never do a co-promotion with Bob Arum / Top Rank due to the Pac-Man drama and their past beef. Isn't this exactly what GBP wasn't supposed to do? GBP knew that boxing really needed to make the big matchups in order to improve the overall health of the sport and increase visibility. Well vowing to never do business with another big-time promoter is possibly the worst thing for boxing. Basically, we can kiss PacMan-Barrera II, Mosley-Margarito, or Corrales-Castillo III @ 140 or 147 goodbye. It's obvious that the two promoters don't like each other, but GBP came in to the game with good ideals that had a lot of people excited. Now after seeing GBP try to sign Pacquiao and Corrales while they were still clearly under contract with other promoters and Oscar vowing to never do a co-promotion with Top Rank, I'm afraid that they've just become one with the other scumbag promoters and dirty sanctioning bodies. Maybe things will change later, but right now it seems like GBP isn't doing anything great, they are just adding to the problem. I kinda have a feeling that these old fogies (ODLH, Mosley, B-Hop, Barrera) are using GBP to make as much money as they can for themselves before they retire. I mean, Tito-Mosley, give me a fucking break. Is this almost 2007 or is it still 1999?
    Well put.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a good thing promoters rarely keep there word.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As one promoter said many moons ago to me Im not a charity Im in this game to make money, and things havent changed. They dont do it for the love of the game, they do it for the love of themselves
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

making corny overpriced PPV will never save boxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as I can tell, they appear to be doing well. There's always business in mind, and who could blame them for that. They are putting together better fights than most promoters. And as for stealing fighters, that's life. If GBP can offer a better deal, then better for the fighter.

Arum was recently interviewed and said that GBP was taking advantage of Pac Man because he was basically an idiot high school drop out. That's a bold accusation from a man who runs a company that stinks to hell, and have done as many backhanded deals as Don King.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It always amuses me the Bob Arum thing why he got into Boxing, Funny old game
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got 2 simple words 'BOXING POLITICS'................

All this bashing of GBP, I mean Oscars doing what he can and he can only do so much. Now we all know reports and media have their way of manipulating things.... IMO before we jump allover GBP lets just wait and see what 2007 brings and lets judge GBP as time goes by, to single them out just on interviews on paper and other stuff is shet! that goes on in boxing politics..... If we REALLy heard/read all the stories that go on during bids, weigh ins, signing deals we'd all be disgusted with the sport....

GBP offcourse is upset at Manny backpedling on the fight contract, words of anger and all that occour often for many years people said Arum and King would never put ODLH and Tito together and they did.......

In the long run I think GBP will do it's part and if Oscar himself has to do go in there and do so, then I can assure he will.... He can only do so much it is also on the other promotion Co. to do it's part....

Don't forget whos bringing us PBF vs. ODLH.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been reading up on Golden Boy Promotions and some of the things that Oscar has been saying recently. GBP came out initially and said that they were here to give fighters a good home and save boxing. Well recently ODLH has come out and said that he will never do a co-promotion with Bob Arum / Top Rank due to the Pac-Man drama and their past beef. Isn't this exactly what GBP wasn't supposed to do? GBP knew that boxing really needed to make the big matchups in order to improve the overall health of the sport and increase visibility. Well vowing to never do business with another big-time promoter is possibly the worst thing for boxing. Basically, we can kiss PacMan-Barrera II, Mosley-Margarito, or Corrales-Castillo III @ 140 or 147 goodbye. It's obvious that the two promoters don't like each other, but GBP came in to the game with good ideals that had a lot of people excited. Now after seeing GBP try to sign Pacquiao and Corrales while they were still clearly under contract with other promoters and Oscar vowing to never do a co-promotion with Top Rank, I'm afraid that they've just become one with the other scumbag promoters and dirty sanctioning bodies. Maybe things will change later, but right now it seems like GBP isn't doing anything great, they are just adding to the problem. I kinda have a feeling that these old fogies (ODLH, Mosley, B-Hop, Barrera) are using GBP to make as much money as they can for themselves before they retire. I mean, Tito-Mosley, give me a F****** break. Is this almost 2007 or is it still 1999?
    PROPS, for YOU.

I never trusted Oscar once Barrera and he made fun of Bob Arum for "losing" after Barrera ended the Morales trilogy with a victory... as they laughed. They are just punks. haha

And yeah... I also thought it was fishy that Pacquiao did that and Oscar courted him. heheh

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    In the long run I think GBP will do it's part and if Oscar himself has to do go in there and do so, then I can assure he will.... He can only do so much it is also on the other promotion Co. to do it's part....
    I hope so... but lately I haven't heard of many Oscar-Arum fights being made.

Don't forget whos bringing us PBF vs. ODLH.....

I got 2 simple words 'BOXING POLITICS'................
    Your right, boxing is the dirtiest of them all. heh

World Politics is worst, then there's Boxing Politics... the rest can't get any close. cc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing everyone's forgetting GBP is a young company...it took Arum & King 2 decades to fuck just about every other fighter on the planet...give em time.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good rant
    CC

Thread Information