Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why "fitness" gloves are no good for hardcore boxing use.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why "fitness" gloves are no good for hardcore boxing use.

So im now sat here, rubbing the grissle over my two middle knuckles because it feels danm wierd, yet strangely good.....

It all started with a purchase i made a few months back. I was standing there, i thought "hmmm, im not a big hitter, weighing only 65kgs theres people bigger and uglier than me who use smaller gloves, what harm can it do"
    So i bought these:
    http://www.fightshop.com/product.asp...&product_id=87

Now, i realise it was a mistake, i have two broken knuckles, the two middle finger knuckles on both hands after a hard ass session last night. I put my hand into the gloves and find that all the padding is absolutely flat, there is no padding left in between my knuckles and that bag, except for a flimsy bit of broken compressed, sad excuse for padding.
    Time to break out the 14oz Fairtex on the bags me think.

Anyways, the moral of the story is. If you box regularly, and dont just do "boxercise" then invest in a good pair of gloves.
    Keep your eyes peeled, im gonna rip open the aforementioned gloves and take some pics. See what happens inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why "fitness" gloves are no good for hardcore boxing use.

I've always toyed with the idea of getting gloves like those. They seem very convenient and good to help develop hand speed. But I've always wavered on my final decision for the reasons you mentioned.

A) Send them back. See if they'll give your money back or a credit.
    B) Don't use your Fairtex gloves on the bag. You'll break them down, and gloves that nice should be kept for sparring.
    C) Invest in crappy old 16oz synthetic leather Everlast training gloves for bag and mit work. Despite being of lesser quality, they're actually very good for the bag since when they fall apart, which (and trust me) will take a while, you won't care.

I have these for bag work and I must say, depite being cheapies, they've help up incredibly well.
    NB: they are not "Bag gloves" but are training gloves.

http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...ng-gloves.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well i bought the fairtex FOR the bag really. I use the gloves at the gym for sparring.
    I spent £40 quid on them yes, but i dont mind spending money on something im going to use a lot, so fairtex i thought would last forever and be well worth the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, the Fairtex are also no good for the bag

They have a very tough inside (probably to protect your hands from peoples heads in sparring)
    This makes for a very uncomfortable bag workout with the constant battering of your knuckles on this tough stuff. So much so i had to cut my workout short today because it hurt so much.
    So, im going back to ordinary bag gloves for the time being. Twins ones, from fightshop.

Thread Information