Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default gerald mcclellan vs jones jnr amature fight

ive read that jones got owned in that fight ,but never seen it ....does anyone know where i can watch it?...surely there's got to be a copy of it floating around some where on the net! PEACE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: gerald mcclellan vs jones jnr amature fight

just found this on u tube...an interveiw with mcclellan years after the benn fight.

...i also watched the fight earlier today,and it still makes me feel sick every time ive watched it.

[youtube=425,350]_5v7ZkaLA60[/youtube]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Steward says he has a copy of it.

He says Jones was faster but McClellan made up for it with his timing and heavy hands on top of his speed. He also says McClellan developed his speed of delivery at Kronk that would even things up as far as speed is concerned, but with his timing and heavy hands on top of that would give Jones little chance of winning! This is what Manny says.

I've also heard an account of the Jones Jr/G-Man amateur fight from a guy called John Scully, or read it atleast. I'll look for it, wait there..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was before McClellan joined Kronk.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=3824&more=1

Later on in 1988, at the National Golden Gloves, Roy won his first three matches. The first one was a decision over Thomas Tate. He also scored a 3rd. round stoppage over defending National 165 pound Champion and Future NABF Champion Fabian Williams. Those victories set up a fight that someone should have taped for obvious reasons. The semifinal match was Roy Jones taking on Gerald McClellan. You would expect this fight to be very exciting. It was more than that. It was a WAR. One of the greatest examples of speed and power that I have seen in an amateur Boxing match. I remember that Roy was forced back to the ropes often in the fight but that what made the fight so thrilling was the way Roy would FURIOUSLY fight off the ropes with flurries. It was like watching two Olympic athletes fight for the Gold Medal or two guys going for the world professional championship.

Omaha World-Herald: "Two 1987 Champs, 156 pounder Roy L. Jones of Knoxville and 132 pound Donald Stokes of Louisiana, were eliminated last night.

Gerald McClellan of Milwaukee crowded Jones most of the first two rounds in pounding out a decision triumph. The 156 pound McClellan was there to slug with Jones from the opening bell, and carried the first round. Jones spent a lot of that time along the ropes.

Jones showed some movement in a fairly close second and then scored well in the early part of the third. McClellan was stronger at the finish when he again pounded Jones along the ropes and in a corner."

I saw Gerald a month later at Sugar Ray's training Camp in Maryland and he told me he wouldn't be able to spar for a while longer because his jaw was still hurting from the fight with Roy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WOW! excelent find mate.Thanks for the info..cc for you

...it would of been a great fight had the 2 of them fought as pro's! ...but i would have to favour mcclellan by ko!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing about amateur Roy Jones though, is that he was just all speed and guts when he was an amateur... He had a decent defense, but he was throwing way too much for him to not get hit like in the pros... He really learned timing in the pro ranks, and became a far better, and more focused fighter... Roy Jones Jr. in the pros was also far stronger than he was as an amateur because he was naturally about 30 pounds heavier by the time he won his first championship. He would have knocked McClellan out, and would have also dominated the whole fight... I don't think McClellan was as good as Hopkins or Toney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    He would have knocked McClellan out, and would have also dominated the whole fight...
    What makes you think Roy could Ko Gerald What factors do you feel are present that would Have Roy dominating the whole fight??
    I don't think McClellan was as good as Hopkins or Toney.
    In 1995 Gerald was just as good as Toney or Hopkins they all had different skill sets and Toney and B-Hop hadnt perfected there styles that we know today...

Gerald wasnt a 1 dimensional brawler..He could Box had a good workrate and had an absolute cast Iron chin and heart..

Benn had to literally almost beat him to death for Gerald to lose..and even then when Gerald took the knee he was already mentally gone and literally surviving on instinct before he collapsed in the corner..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Roy JOnes Jr. is nearly as hard of a hitter, if not a harder hitter than NIgel Benn... He was way faster than McClellan, and he had better timing than anyone by the time he became a middleweight champion.. I mean he beat Bernard Hopkins who was already, a hard puncher with a iron chin, and nearly flawless technique with ONE hand. IMO 1995 Gerald was even close to as good as Toney at that time, no way. And I think Bernard Hopkins would have beaten him on points. I know Gerald isn't one dimensional, but he also isn't a Thomas Hearns like figure. I think if Roy set his feet he would knock McCellan out, and if he didn't he would just pot shot from the outside like he didn't everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Roy JOnes Jr. is nearly as hard of a hitter, if not a harder hitter than NIgel Benn... He was way faster than McClellan, and he had better timing than anyone by the time he became a middleweight champion.. I mean he beat Bernard Hopkins who was already, a hard puncher with a iron chin, and nearly flawless technique with ONE hand. IMO 1995 Gerald was even close to as good as Toney at that time, no way. And I think Bernard Hopkins would have beaten him on points. I know Gerald isn't one dimensional, but he also isn't a Thomas Hearns like figure. I think if Roy set his feet he would knock McCellan out, and if he didn't he would just pot shot from the outside like he didn't everyone else.
    Gerald had great timing and a knack for finding a home for his murderous punches.....Toney, Hopkins and Jones have NEVER fought as relentless and raw animalistic determination that Gerald would bring.......

No way does Jones hit harder than Benn.... Those 2 guys murdered each other for 10 rounds sacraficing there careers in the mean time.... No way does Roy Jones come close to doing the damage That Benn did..Albeit Benn cheated a whole bunch but I'm guessing you havent seen to many Gerald Mcclellan fights to know the ruthless aggression he brought to the ring..

Gerald is widely regarded as one of the heaviest hitters PFP in Boxing history he possessed Bona fied heavyweight power in a Middleweight body...Were not talking John Ruiz type power either.... His chin was more than tested against Julian Jackson and Nigel Benn.. IMO he would lay a hurtin on any of those guys in the Mid 90's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's your opinion, but Gerald would not be able to just walk in on Roy JOnes Jr., and unlike Gerald and Julian Jackson Roy Jones Jr. did go up to heavyweight, and fight a top level heavyweight, and even hurt him with a punch. Roy was also one the hardest punchers p4p... watch his career there a whole punch fights where he ko'ed fighters who were extremly tough and had never gone, down or like against Reggie Johnson who had never been down in his career, Roy Knocked him down twice, and could have easily finished that fight. Gerald did have great timing, but it wasn't on the same level as Roy when he became a champion. Also his fast feet and otherworldly reflexes made him nearly impossible to hit. People who watched Roy as LHW don't realize his full power because half the time he was comming in from the same distance a kick boxer would fight at with his right lead which meants that his feet were off the ground while he landed a good number of his punches. I have seen quite a few Gerald McClellan fights including the Benn-McClellan fight many times, and I felt he should have won it in the first round if he had foughten less smarter. Roy had the better opposition, and he was a better athlete, and there is no way unless McCellan landed tarveresque punch that he would have won the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also Merqui Sosa was easily as determined of a fighter as McClenna with a granite chin, and Roy had him down for the first time in his career, and though the fight was stopped too quickly it was easy to see that he would have ended the fight within 12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm pretty much in agreement here...cept with what I highlighted.

Hopkins was still coming into his style & technique when he faced Jones...Bernard was nothing in comparison to the tactician & defensive fighter that he became.

A rematch would have netted Jones a loss if they had faced around 2002 or 2003, IWO.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by stavros693000
    an interveiw with mcclellan years after the benn fight.

...i also watched the fight earlier today,and it still makes me feel sick every time ive watched it.
    Yes it was tragic and very sad that nite that a corrupt referee and Home cookin would destroy the careers of 2 potential legends and 2 of the sports brightest stars...

I have talked to Geralds sister Lisa on the phone back in August and she tells me Gerald has come along way since that CNN interview he is still mentally incapacitated to an extent but she tells me he is still very much Gerald in his sense of humor and things like that....Lisa who lives in Freeport and the other sister(Who I forget her name and were she lives) have sacraficed their life to take care of him and she says they wouldnt have it anyother way...

I didnt get a chance to talk to Gerald cause he wasnt in freeport at the time but I had a pleasent conversation with Lisa that lasted about 2 hours... It was very enlightening about some of the misconceptions of Gerald and the events that took place that night and afterwards....

again at the end of the day these guys know the risk when they get into the ring no one thinks about it all that much but its a harsh reality that is realized sometimes like in this case....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I'm pretty much in agreement here...cept with what I highlighted.

Hopkins was still coming into his style & technique when he faced Jones...Bernard was nothing in comparison to the tactician & defensive fighter that he became.

A rematch would have netted Jones a loss if they had faced around 2002 or 2003, IWO.
    No way, sorry Wacko, but Roy was just too much better than even Hopkins to have lost against him... He was far too quick, and too smart, and too strong for Bernard Hopkins to overcome all those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Steward said in 1992 that McClellan was the best he's ever had.

He says right now that he's never worked with a fighter more talented than Gerald McClellan.

Thread Information