0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default More excuses from the Liakhovich camp, claim ropes were too loose

LIAHKOVICH STILL APPEALING LOSS TO BRIGGS
    www.boxingtalk.net
    By G. Leon

Says ropes were too loose causing accidental fall

After losing his WBO heavyweight championship in the ring via last-second knockout to Shannon Briggs and then losing his protest to the WBO, Sergei Liakhovich has appealed the WBO's decision to let Briggs' victory stand. The WBO's Greivance Committee, headed by John Duggan, will hear Liakhovich's appeal on Wednesday, November 30, 2006. The WBO has requested that Showtime provide all camera angles of the knockdown that sent Liakhovich out of the ring and led referee Bobby Ferrara to stop the bout with a single tick left on the clock. Liakhovich, through his attorney Sabinus Megwa, said the final knockdown was not legitimate and offered several reasons why he thinks Briggs should not have won. "The 12th round lasted more than the mandated 3 minutes," wrote Megwa. "The referee decided to end the fight without giving the fighter a 10 or 20 second count. The ring ropes were too loose and not properly secured by the contractors that installed the ring and as such, Sergei Liakhovich accidentally fell through the ropes and out of the ring as he leaned on the ropes while dodging a missed punch. Shannon Briggs did not land a legal blow to cause Sergei Liakhovich to fall out of the ring and as such, there was no TKO."

Just accept the loss Sergei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: More excuses from the Liakhovich camp, claim ropes were too loose

And how can you try to say you deserve the title because the red ended the fight without counting to 10

And Sergei fell through the ropes ducking a punch

This is embarrassing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fighter cannot be saved by the bell in any round including the 12th and final round. If a guy is knocked down say with 5 seconds in the fight, a number of things can happen

#1 ref decides that the fighter cant continue and immediately stops the fight,no count is needed or he could do it during the count. loss by ko

#2 ref gets to 10 count (5 secs of which are after the round ends and fighter isn't standing and/or "presenting" ref calls it a KO

#3 ref gets to 10 count (3 secs of which are after the round ends and fighter is standing and "presenting" ref feels that the fighter cant continue calls it a TKO .If the fighter is up before 8 the ref stops the count at 8. Even if a fight is barely knocked down,say one knee or a glove or the ropes keep him from being knocked down the ref will always count to a minimum of 8.unless he stops the fight first, as in case #1 .(standing 8 count is when a ref feels that the fighter is hurt,the ropes are keeping him from falling down ,hes out on his feet etc. and may at his discretion initiate a "standing" 8 count even though the fighter hasnt been "down" if there is no standing 8 count in effect the ref has no choice but to do nothing or stop the fight.)

#4 ref starts counting. fighter gets up (sometime before 10 count) presents and ref figures that IF the fight were continuing he could continue. round is over so he send fighter to corner and fight goes to the cards

THE same rules apply if a fighter is knocked out of the ring by a punch.
    BUT the count is increased to 20 seconds.
    The liahkovich camp has a case to protest (i feel) if it can be shown that the fighter was interfered with outside of the ring (he was held back on the shoulders by at least one person at ringside maybe 2)

The official answer will (should)be that the ref looked at the fighter outside of the ring and determined that he was too badly hurt to continue even if given the full 20 seconds and stopped the fight at that time. whether that occurred before or after the end of the round is irrelevant

Any comment re the application of the rules in this case? or any comments? ( other than he got hammered he should quit winning)
    personnally re the fight in question i think they both sucked dog sh*t through a straw!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't say that the ropes weren't loose though, they were loose as hell. If they're below regulation, then he has a case.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    You can't say that the ropes weren't loose though, they were loose as hell. If they're below regulation, then he has a case.
    I feel that its the responsibility of the corner to check the ropes and ring etc prior to the fight. the ring is set up maybe 10 hours ahead of time sometimes for days so people can pick seats. if you dont check the ring the mat etc. or do and dont protest b4 the fight. then its tough sh1t. and the condition is the same for both fighters so theres no advantage. IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by landmine950
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    I feel that its the responsibility of the corner to check the ropes and ring etc prior to the fight. the ring is set up maybe 10 hours ahead of time sometimes for days so people can pick seats. if you dont check the ring the mat etc. or do and dont protest b4 the fight. then its tough sh1t. and the condition is the same for both fighters so theres no advantage. IMO.
    Yeah I think I agree with that, because these guys are so heavy, they should really have learned from other heavyweights i.e Rahman. If they didn't complain they don't have a case.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by P.G.H Angel Eyes
    And how can you try to say you deserve the title because the red ended the fight without counting to 10

And Sergei fell through the ropes ducking a punch

This is embarrassing
    Liakhovich title reign was embarrassing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman complained about loose ropes after his loss to Ali, then years later admitted it didn't affect the fight any because he was still able to beat on Ali, he just ran out of gas. That being said, if there was a problem with the ropes during the fight they could have called for a time out like they do when there is a torn glove since the safety of the boxers was involved (or in case an idiot hang glides into the middle of the ring like that Fan Man idiot years ago in Bowe-Holyfield II).
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see how that happens. I mean 7 fight cards and very rarely do I see people tighten the ropes in between fights so I can see how it could be an issue. But it's still not a reason to justify a loss. And I doubt that Sergei is the one filing these appeals, probably just his manager embarassing him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure-gay needs to take his loss like a man instead of such a panooch.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Gotdamn, wasn't this guy the guy everyone fell in love with after the Brewster fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure Gay!! so true!!
    lmao!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still like Liakhovich. I don't think it is SL that is making these cry baby comments as was already said above. You will see SL in a title fight again.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    I still like Liakhovich. I don't think it is SL that is making these cry baby comments as was already said above. You will see SL in a title fight again.

MAN!! after his last showing i sure hope not! He will really have to re invent and prove himself after that. That fight was like putting a padlock on the canopy of a kamikazi's plane. dive,crash, burn........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    Gotdamn, wasn't this guy the guy everyone fell in love with after the Brewster fight?
    Not from my standpoint.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Thread Information