Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Margarito wins by circumstance... (short play by play)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Margarito wins by circumstance... (short play by play)

Well, I mean Margarito has no one to blame but himself for waiting around on some punks! to fight him.... It's his fault for not keeping busy....

Oh! about Williams, come on look at his last oponent Margarito could have done the same and fought a guy who was 15-2-4 but Clottey was there to fight and he took the fight....

As I said I hope if the fight comed through that both fighters are at their best casue in the end WE the fans are the winners we get to see FIRE WORKS!! in the ring....

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you for the Sad Click.... You know who you are....

So do I.....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK

So do I.....
    Well ya got a CC from ME, so that should balance it out. Listen, you can be proud of your boy Margarito tonight, I'm not a big fan, a fan, but not a big one, and I'm proud of him and my boy Cotto. I picked right for a change, voting Cotto by KO, and Margarito by UD. Margarito fought like a warrior and beat probably the tuffest challenger of his career. And all the haters of Margarito, you think Tony is easy to hit? And he is. Well check out Paul Williams, Margarito will knock him out, I promise you that.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    Margarito proved why he is champ Hulk

What the...

It seems to me that Margarito only proved he is headed nowhere fast
    Really? So, Margarito, out gutting Clottey down the stretch and punishing him meant nothing to you? Practically forcing him to quit showed nothing about Tony Margarito as a fighter and champion? Clottey having to RUN, clinch, and intentionally headbutt indicated nothing? Come on! I like both fighters, and believe me, I am as tired of the "Maragrito is the most feared man in boxing, everyone is ducking him" BS as anyone. But damn it, if Margarito didn't show some true heart tonight, and beat his tough, worthy opponent fair and square.
    I will admit that it seemed Clottey was trying to puss out after every round. Just incase his corner forgot, Clottey made sure to remind them his hand was hurt between every round.

However, his hand was hurt, and in the end Magarito scored a UD against a maimed opponent who clearly would have won othwerwise.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So do I.....
    Well ya got a CC from ME, so that should balance it out. Listen, you can be proud of your boy Margarito tonight, I'm not a big fan, a fan, but not a big one, and I'm proud of him and my boy Cotto. I picked right for a change, voting Cotto by KO, and Margarito by UD. Margarito fought like a warrior and beat probably the tuffest challenger of his career. And all the haters of Margarito, you think Tony is easy to hit? And he is. Well check out Paul Williams, Margarito will knock him out, I promise you that.
    cc#329 for you....

I got say, HELL YEAH!! to that if Margarito can prepare himself good and be ready for Williams I know he could beat Williams.... If Sharmba was able to hurt and woble Williams, then a well landed punch by Margarito would do the trick...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So do I.....
    cc#329 for you....

I got say, HELL YEAH!! to that if Margarito can prepare himself good and be ready for Williams I know he could beat Williams.... If Sharmba was able to hurt and woble Williams, then a well landed punch by Margarito would do the trick...

Yep, thats the way I look at it too. Though Williams did take some good shots from that Matt Hissyfit guy. I say Tony will defineatley knock out Paul Williams, and then Max Kellerman will cry himself to sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure it will work that way, Hulk. If you look at the division, Williams is about the only Welter that is bigger than Margarito. And Margarito has a horrible record when fighting bigger guys (although I admit he was coming back during the Santos fight).

The problem here is this... how will he deal when he is getting 100+ punches thrown at him for the whole fight? Tony might find himself on the floor & far behind before he warms up in the 5th or 6th round.

Don't get me wrong; I like Tony and I agree he is being avoided (but damn he needs sparring!), as will Clottey.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What the...

Really? So, Margarito, out gutting Clottey down the stretch and punishing him meant nothing to you? Practically forcing him to quit showed nothing about Tony Margarito as a fighter and champion? Clottey having to RUN, clinch, and intentionally headbutt indicated nothing? Come on! I like both fighters, and believe me, I am as tired of the "Maragrito is the most feared man in boxing, everyone is ducking him" BS as anyone. But damn it, if Margarito didn't show some true heart tonight, and beat his tough, worthy opponent fair and square.
    But the point is that he only won because he got lucky with Clottey getting injured. That's not "showing guts"--that's just getting a windfall. Clottey is clearly better than Margarito in every aspect except business--he hits harder, has better timing, has better balance, has better defense, and looked to be quite literally TWICE as fast. No doubt Clottey would have won--by either KO or very wide margin--if he hadn't broken his finger. Margarito took advantage of his good fortune to start landing his pitter-pat for the last five rounds of the fight (after Clottey was injured and had to seriously limit his own output), so credit him with that. But I wouldn't call it "heart," and I definitely wouldn't call it impressive. I was on the fence before, but I definitely pick Williams to beat Margarito now--essentially a bigger, stronger, faster version of the same flawed, no-defense fighter. And Margarito wouldn't last 8 rounds with Cotto being as open as he is.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza

What the...

But the point is that he only won because he got lucky with Clottey getting injured. That's not "showing guts"--that's just getting a windfall. Clottey is clearly better than Margarito in every aspect except business--he hits harder, has better timing, has better balance, has better defense, and looked to be quite literally TWICE as fast. No doubt Clottey would have won--by either KO or very wide margin--if he hadn't broken his finger. Margarito took advantage of his good fortune to start landing his pitter-pat for the last five rounds of the fight (after Clottey was injured and had to seriously limit his own output), so credit him with that. But I wouldn't call it "heart," and I definitely wouldn't call it impressive. I was on the fence before, but I definitely pick Williams to beat Margarito now--essentially a bigger, stronger, faster version of the same flawed, no-defense fighter. And Margarito wouldn't last 8 rounds with Cotto being as open as he is.

You're out of your mind. That's just Margarito hate talking. Clottey won the first 4 rounds, then lost the next two, and won maybe one more out of the fight. He was hitting Tony with left hooks quite a bit, but were they doing anything? Nope. So how he hits harder, I don't know. A finger really makes that big of differnce huh? Hasn't Gatti fought on and won with fukin broken hands before. And PBF and Calzaghe are always claiming to have problems with their hands, they still win don't they? Give me a break. Clottey blew it, he stopped throwing punches, went too defensive and blew it, and was running towards the end even. And screw Williams, just cus Max Kellerman has a fukin man crush on him doesn't mean he can beat Margarito. He will be KO'd whan and if he faces Margarito.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=shza ]
    [quote=Hulk ]

--and the winner is...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What the...

You're out of your mind. That's just Margarito hate talking. Clottey won the first 4 rounds, then lost the next two, and won maybe one more out of the fight. He was hitting Tony with left hooks quite a bit, but were they doing anything? Nope. So how he hits harder, I don't know. A finger really makes that big of differnce huh? Hasn't Gatti fought on and won with fukin broken hands before. And PBF and Calzaghe are always claiming to have problems with their hands, they still win don't they? Give me a break. Clottey blew it, he stopped throwing punches, went too defensive and blew it, and was running towards the end even. And screw Williams, just cus Max Kellerman has a fukin man crush on him doesn't mean he can beat Margarito. He will be KO'd whan and if he faces Margarito.
    You think he just coincidentally stopped throwing punches and got "too defensive" at the same time he started complaining that he had broken something in his hand? Right....

As for him hitting harder, I really don't know where this idea of Margarito as a fiercesome puncher comes from. He's not a hard hitter--he's an accumulation puncher and is a good finisher once he sees he can get there (i.e., after throwing 800 or so punches). He's finished a few fights early due to good placement (some would say lucky--like Tarver's shot in Jones II), but generally, he throws around 100 punches a round, lands very few of them flush, and it eventually takes its toll--it also throws the other guy off his game. He was unable to do that against Clottey until Clottey hurt himself and couldn't continue to control the fight with his jab and awkwardness. The other part about Clottey being a harder hitter--I recognize that he hit Margarito with some good shots that didn't put Margarito down, but that's because Margarito has a good chin. Try this one: Margarito threw and landed way more shots than Clottey did and never hurt him either.

I still don't understand what you think is "gutsy" about landing round after round of arm-punches on an injured opponent. He did what he was supposed to do, but he looked totally mediocre and obviously flawed to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What the...

You think he just coincidentally stopped throwing punches and got "too defensive" at the same time he started complaining that he had broken something in his hand? Right....

As for him hitting harder, I really don't know where this idea of Margarito as a fiercesome puncher comes from. He's not a hard hitter--he's an accumulation puncher and is a good finisher once he sees he can get there (i.e., after throwing 800 or so punches). He's finished a few fights early due to good placement (some would say lucky--like Tarver's shot in Jones II), but generally, he throws around 100 punches a round, lands very few of them flush, and it eventually takes its toll--it also throws the other guy off his game. He was unable to do that against Clottey until Clottey hurt himself and couldn't continue to control the fight with his jab and awkwardness. The other part about Clottey being a harder hitter--I recognize that he hit Margarito with some good shots that didn't put Margarito down, but that's because Margarito has a good chin. Try this one: Margarito threw and landed way more shots than Clottey did and never hurt him either.

I still don't understand what you think is "gutsy" about landing round after round of arm-punches on an injured opponent. He did what he was supposed to do, but he looked totally mediocre and obviously flawed to me.
    CC. Absolutely. Clottey made Margarito look extremely average in the first four rounds. I'll admit Clottey probably would have won if he didn't break his finger, but I'll give Tony credit for winning the fight. I'm just sick of "the most feared welterweight" nonsense. Also, Tony shouldn't give Clottey a rematch, they fought, Clottey lost, albeit most likely because of a broken finger. I will say that I have a feeling that Tony will relinquish his belt, decide not to fight Paul Williams move up to 154, and begin chasing ODLH and Floyd with his fans loudly proclaiming that he's the "most feared light middleweight in the world." Give me a break, tonight just proved to me that Tony fights against any elite fighter would be wipeouts. I don't see how people are still defending this guy like he's Sugar Ray Robinson. This guy is an average fighter who will be outclassed sooner than later. Calm down and find another bandwagon to jump on, prefferably Cotto's.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand where some of the backlash is coming from, I've grown sick and tired of the "most feared welterweight" garbage too. And for a while I have been saying that Margarito is probably just too damn slow for Floyd and would eat punches all night. I also agree that he is more of a volumne puncher than a power puncher, but he does still have above average power. I am no rabid Margarito fan, not at all. But the man was coming off of a 10 month lay off, and before that went less than a round in the ring, he had ring rust, he faced a very good fighter who had just beaten Duran's boy Guitterez, and was beating Baldomir till he got DQ'd. Give Margarito some damn credit, its easy to say crap like Clottey would have beaten him if not for the finger, but I don't think its true.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand where some of the backlash is coming from, I've grown sick and tired of the "most feared welterweight" garbage too. And for a while I have been saying that Margarito is probably just too damn slow for Floyd and would eat punches all night. I also agree that he is more of a volumne puncher than a power puncher, but he does still have above average power. I am no rabid Margarito fan, not at all. But the man was coming off of a 10 month lay off, and before that went less than a round in the ring, he had ring rust, he faced a very good fighter who had just beaten Duran's boy Guitterez, and was beating Baldomir till he got DQ'd. Give Margarito some damn credit, its easy to say crap like Clottey would have beaten him if not for the finger, but I don't think its true.
    Agree to disagree about what would have happened had Clottey not been injured, but CC for this post.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC back shza.

Thread Information