Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question about the Olympics...

Why is it in the Olympics that the boxers are all amatuers only?

I know we take that for granted because thats the way its always been but EVERY other sporting event in the olympics features the pro's.

Even the basketball and football tournaments there are all pro players, I'm sure the Judo fighters are the worlds best, all the tennis players are pro's, the track athletes are the worlds best obviously but for boxing is represented by amatuers only?

How awesome an event could it be if the pro's had their own tournament in the olympics!

Finally fighters wouldn't be able to choose their matchups, they would have to face the best and we'd get to see some great 3 rounders.

Anyone else ever wonder this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question about the Olympics...

cause the Olympics are corrupt enough with shady judges, etc we dont need to intensify that by 100 fold by adding Don King to get his piece of the pie every 4 years LOL

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    cause the Olympics are corrupt enough with shady judges, etc we dont need to intensify that by 100 fold by adding Don King to get his piece of the pie every 4 years LOL
    Yeah but think of the bragging fights a fighter would have if he won the olympic gold, then after the summer the olympic winner would be red hot and some great matchups could be made.

Plus it would mean some fighters trying to stick around longer for a shot at olympic glory, maybe coming out of retirement to try and qualify and fight in the olympics, I think it would be awesome.

It could totally revolutionise boxing as every 4 years there would be a huge international event to look forward to, and it's impact would reverbarate for the next four years.

Imagine Floyd Mayweather losing to Paul Williams in an Olympic final and then everyone clamouring for them to get it on in the real world afterwards.

Plus as it is such an exceptional event the results wouldnt go on your professional record, as it would be a whole different event, free from boxings governing bodies etc.

I would love for this to happen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt many of the top pros would want to participate anyways. Why risk injury etc. and not get paid for it?
    Olympic glory ain't got nothing on a paycheck!

Still, it is kind of pointless to not allow pros in...it is supposed to be about the best. It would make sense to allow it, but like i said I doubt many pros would want to do it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by dasamm
    I doubt many of the top pros would want to participate anyways. Why risk injury etc. and not get paid for it?

Still, it is kind of pointless to not allow pros in...it is supposed to be about the best. It would make sense to allow it, but like i said I doubt many pros would want to do it.
    I bet loads of them would want to do it, especially the young hungry fighters. Mayweather might feel he would have nothing to gain but someone like Williams would probably jump at the chance. If he won, he comes out a superstar.

I mean just think of the media attention an olypmpic gold medal winner gets even before they turn pro.

Amir Khan is by far the best known boxer in Britian and he didn't even win!

Audley Harrison managed to make millions off the back of his win despite having no heart and being a complete and utter fraud.

I imagine loads of the pro's would want to do it.

After all an Olympic gold medal is FAR harder to win than a world title, think only ONE medal every 4 YEARS!

Personally I think any boxer would love to have that medal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by dasamm

I bet loads of them would want to do it, especially the young hungry fighters. Mayweather might feel he would have nothing to gain but someone like Williams would probably jump at the chance. If he won, he comes out a superstar.

I mean just think of the media attention an olypmpic gold medal winner gets even before they turn pro.

Amir Khan is by far the best known boxer in Britian and he didn't even win!

Audley Harrison managed to make millions off the back of his win despite having no heart and being a complete and utter fraud.

I imagine loads of the pro's would want to do it.

After all an Olympic gold medal is FAR harder to win than a world title, think only ONE medal every 4 YEARS!

Personally I think any boxer would love to have that medal.
    CC
    I think your absolutely right. The Audley comment made me laugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes... a very good idea..... then my beloved Philippines can have a gold medal through MANNY PACQUAIO!!!!!!! Splendid idea!!!!!!
    supergenius bong

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know we take that for granted because thats the way its always been but EVERY other sporting event in the olympics features the pro's.

Even the basketball and football tournaments there are all pro players, I'm sure the Judo fighters are the worlds best, all the tennis players are pro's, the track athletes are the worlds best obviously but for boxing is represented by amatuers only?

How awesome an event could it be if the pro's had their own tournament in the olympics!

Finally fighters wouldn't be able to choose their matchups, they would have to face the best and we'd get to see some great 3 rounders.

Hell no boxing don't need pros. I rather see unknown youngsters fight all out as appose to pro's going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by rrbong
    Yes... a very good idea..... then my beloved Philippines can have a gold medal through MANNY PACQUAIO!!!!!!! Splendid idea!!!!!!
    To bad it's the only medal they would get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise

Hell no boxing don't need pros. I rather see unknown youngsters fight all out as appose to pro's going through the motions.

Better to have one than NONE.......
    supergenius bong

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So were in agreement that except for Pac and maybe, maybe Rey Bautista. The rest suck, right?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So were in agreement that except for Pac and maybe, maybe Rey Bautista. The rest suck, right?
    Not like the Meixcans hey who regularly top the Olympics medal table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sultan and rey bautista are good boxers. someday, the Philippines will produce again boxers like MAnny PAcquaio and Flash Elorde.
    supergenius bong

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not like the Meixcans hey who regularly top the Olympics medal table
    That's cuz they rather turn pro at 16 or 17. You British can keep your 85 year old gold medal winners like Audley Harrison. I'm sure he makes you proud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is for third world countries......Because we like to slug and box. That's our way of living. This is the reason why Mexicans prosper in boxing.It all boils down to poverty....... the more impoverished, the more boxers and runners a country has.
    supergenius bong

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is for third world countries......Because we like to slug and box. That's our way of living. This is the reason why Mexicans prosper in boxing.It all boils down to poverty....... the more impoverished, the more boxers and runners a country has.
    That's why there is such a huge boxing scene in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information