Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default need to get started

im 18 years old, about 5'7 and 120 lbs. i want to get into boxing so much but i think i might be a little too weak at the moment and want to do some training to get into a proper shape to start boxing. for christmas i want to get a bag and practice punching it but im not quite sure which one to get, and also which gloves? when i get gloves should i wrap my hands every time or can i just buy a smaller hand glove and use that as an alternative? and what are some basic training methods that i should start doing to get into a boxing shape?? im waiting until late spring/early summer to start scouting for good gyms and trainers because by then i should be getting a good enough income to be able to pay for all of it. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: need to get started

Alright mate. In my opinion you'd be best off just having a look for a decent gym and getting started straight away if you can possibly afford it. The problem with getting a bag etc and starting training yourself before you've had any proper coaching is that you start teaching yourself inproper technique etc before youve even got going, and bad habits are hard to get rid of. Lack of strength etc wont be a problem, if you find a good coach he'll bring you on as you improve and your strength will grow as you train. You could train yourself for 6 months and not be in anywhere near the shape you would be after 2 at a decent gym because of the training methods and encouragement you'll get.

Hope that helps a bit, all the best

Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BOBs right, best you could do is join a gym now.
    Even if you do get good in this 6 months on your own, you'll go to a boxing gym in six months or so and realise your not half as good as you thought you were, nor as fit.

If you are intent on joining in 6 months, then id say just run. Dont worry about the actual boxing until you join, just get fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you can find a GYM, DO IT, at all costs, just as BestofBritish said. I'm very sure you have one near by.

I was taught differently at first. I read books, and watched boxing, kinda self-taught. Sure I didn't know how to throw a correct hook, Sure my hands were just a tad bit low, Sure I would be square, Sure my elbows would ache from over-extension... but I had no gym anywhere near my place... and when I FINALLY moved to a city and found one, they corrected all the above... but I can easily RE-learn things, fix things, hone, or make my technique better... I have that ability. As a matter of fact, I learned VERY fast, as opposed to the others. Maybe it was my determination that was always there, or maybe it was me, trying to teach myself the basics... Of course I would NEVER compete at this "do it yourself" level. What do you THINK I'M NUTS?!? I'm not gonna kill myself! heh Some guy who knows what he's doing is going to knock me out! heheh But I took this time to appreciate what I was trying to learn, and I'm not clumsy by no means, so I've always been good at imitating things... most of the time guys are clumsy as hell in the gym when they start off... you are probably one of them. Whatever it was, I tend to DIS-agree with everybody else, If you can't find a gym, teach yourself BUT don't Compete OR SPAR!!! That's the price you have to pay. You have to know that you Don't Know How To Fight. Your just teaching yourself because you have no choice. .... BUT IF YOU CAN find a gym..... you better f*ckin' go to it right now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go To A Gym. The Point Of A Gym Is to Train,And Learn.
    ( a boxing Gym of Course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i scouted around and the closest boxing gym is about 35 miles away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by thrashard17
    35 miles isn't all that far away!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by thrashard17
    If 35 miles discourages you... then you shouldn't take up boxing. There are plenty of other things in life that are much easier. Go play basketball, or study. As I said, you can try to learn it alone, and it's VERY fun, but don't spar or fight, you'll just get your *ss handed to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well actually i have been thinking about it and distance aside, i wont have enough cash to afford it probably for a long time anyway. im hopefully starting school in the fall, so the time i spend with that plus a job and then still having enough time to train and go to the gym all the time is just going to be too much. good luck finding a decent paying job around here for someone just out of high school. i seriously doubt i will be able to get a job to pay for my equipment, plus a trainer, gas, keeping up with all my musical stuff (i play guitar also), and still having enough money to pay for other things as well. none of my friends can get something to pay for all that. help from my parents with that stuff is pretty much a joke too. so unless im financially misjudging some things, boxing just doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

Thread Information