Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Alexis ARGUELLO

I just wanted to see what you guys thought of him? I have been becoming more and more of a fan the more I see of him but I hardly see him mentioned in many places,heck even in his fights,his opponents were getting almot as much credit as he was! I have seen his fights with Pryor1 and 2,Navarette,Mancini,Limon,Escalera 1 and 2,Boza Edwards,Bobby Chacon,Andy Ganigan,Ruben Olivares,Royl Kobayashi,Jose Luis Ramirez,Jim Watt,Kevin Rooney,that's ALOT of great names to have on a resume. Was there anyone else he could have taken on at the time? Do you guys like him too? Let me know your thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Alexis ARGUELLO

Yes, I respect Alexis as a fighter/boxer, and you’re right he has a some very good names on his CV.

I don’t think he get’s as much credit as he deserves these days, I think for some reason he tends to be forgotten. Alexis was a very good fighter, he had one of the best jabs in the business and was “up for the challenge” as his record shows.

There was a possibility of him fighting Duran, but it never happened because both outgrew there weight divisions, Arguello moved up to lightweight and Duran to Welterweight.

His performances against Olivares and Mancini stand out, after he took the title from Ruben Olivares, he went to his dressing room and thanked Ruben and told him he would defend the title in honour to Olivares, he respected Olivares as a champion.

The only downside to Alexis was his cocaine addiction, but he battled and overcame that.

But all in all……… a great champion!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I remember most is obviously the fights with Pryor. But Arguello was one of the more accurate fighters of all time. Every punch he threw was PIN POINT. Especially with the straight right hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AA's a certified legend in the game, he was a very good fighter, great boxer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Realitycheck77
    Yes, I respect Alexis as a fighter/boxer, and you’re right he has a some very good names on his CV.

I don’t think he get’s as much credit as he deserves these days, I think for some reason he tends to be forgotten. Alexis was a very good fighter, he had one of the best jabs in the business and was “up for the challenge” as his record shows.

There was a possibility of him fighting Duran, but it never happened because both outgrew there weight divisions, Arguello moved up to lightweight and Duran to Welterweight.

His performances against Olivares and Mancini stand out, after he took the title from Ruben Olivares, he went to his dressing room and thanked Ruben and told him he would defend the title in honour to Olivares, he respected Olivares as a champion.

The only downside to Alexis was his cocaine addiction, but he battled and overcame that.

But all in all……… a great champion!
    #

I loved the Mancini fight in particular! I thought Alexis was not the getting the respect he deserved for that fight,people thought he was slipping and Boom Boomb was the young guy on the block. Even after winning,the commentator were mainly talknig about Ray. Alexis jab,his heart,accuracy and resume were all awesome. I still think he is under rated,I mean look at all those fighters!!! CC for that info bro,I didn't know he was addicted to coke...how do you think a fight with Manos De Pedre Duran would have panned out?

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    What I remember most is obviously the fights with Pryor. But Arguello was one of the more accurate fighters of all time. Every punch he threw was PIN POINT. Especially with the straight right hand.
    Definitely man,the accuracy was amazing!!!! I don't know,whenever I think of Arguello,I think of the Mancin fight first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kelly
    AA's a certified legend in the game, he was a very good fighter, great boxer.
    vERY VERY TRUE BRO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks, El Gamo.

I think a fight with Duran would have been awesome, I know Alexis respected Duran alot as a fighter and boxer, I know Duran went up to him once, late 70's and threatened to beat him up there and then if he (Alexis) didn't sign the contract to fight him (Duran), Alexis reply was to stay calm and just respond by saying "listen I'm a serious guy", but I found out. they've met later in life and got on well, as I say Alexis respects Duran alot.

I think if they had ever met - prime v prime, it would be difficult for Arguello to beat Duran, simply because Arguello is naturally smaller than Duran, but having said that I don't think Duran would have an easy night, far from it. Arguello's accuracy, jab and timing - general ring craftsmanship would give Duran some trouble, but eventually I feel Manos de Peidra would break him down.

There's 2 outcomes for me,

Duran by KO round 14

Duran wins UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alexis was one of my all time favorites...He was past his glory days when he fought Pryor...At Super featherweight he was truly amazing
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Realitycheck77
    Thanks, El Gamo.

I think a fight with Duran would have been awesome, I know Alexis respected Duran alot as a fighter and boxer, I know Duran went up to him once, late 70's and threatened to beat him up there and then if he (Alexis) didn't sign the contract to fight him (Duran), Alexis reply was to stay calm and just respond by saying "listen I'm a serious guy", but I found out. they've met later in life and got on well, as I say Alexis respects Duran alot.

I think if they had ever met - prime v prime, it would be difficult for Arguello to beat Duran, simply because Arguello is naturally smaller than Duran, but having said that I don't think Duran would have an easy night, far from it. Arguello's accuracy, jab and timing - general ring craftsmanship would give Duran some trouble, but eventually I feel Manos de Peidra would break him down.

There's 2 outcomes for me,

Duran by KO round 14

Duran wins UD.
    Duran is my favorite fighter of all time. Period. But he often had trouble with elite fighters with a good jab and foodwork. I think it would be a great fight with Duran coming from behind on the cards and stopping him late
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

ICB Guest

Alexis Arguello vs. Ray Mancini

[youtube=425,350]CsJzjR5iMLA[/youtube]

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A shame it didnt have the reverse angle replay. That final right hand was brutal.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

SigmaMu Guest

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All time great thats for sure....
    I like to say that watching 'El Flaco Explosivo' was like watching a painter go to work on a canvas. I mean every stroke of the brush is like a straight right hand of Arguello slowly creating something of nothing and building up. Every punch was precise every latteral movement was to a tee. IMO to see him fight was brilliant! I mention and bring him up as often as I can.
    IMO and in my book he beat Pryor the 1st time around, theres NO WAY! Pryor could not have fallen from those straight rights and hooks that Arguello threw if NOT for the mixed drink and also the fact that the comission forgot! to collect Pryors urine samples immidiately after the fights is ALL a crock of shit!

'El Flaco Explosivo' thats translates to 'The Explosive Thin Man'

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    I was watching some Old Alexis ARGUELLO footage the other night and I thought to myself, who does he remind me of? Then I said to my friend, he sort of reminds me of Tony Margarito. I always like to watch fights and compare similar styles to other boxers. I know a lot of people here hate Tony Margarito most of you have never even seen him fight other than Cintron and Corley. I do not make comments about fighters I do not know enough about especially if I have only watched one or two of their fights. Anyway.. I know I am going to get ripped here for making this comparison between the two fighters but that is just the way it is. I am not worried about it. We all have our own seperate views on things. It's natural and fine with me.

Peace.
    I don't have any problem with Margarito, I like Floyd but I'm not one of his obsessive groupies, but I just have to ask what do you seen in Margarito that compares, stylewise, to Arguello? Just wondering.

SigmaMu Guest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    All time great thats for sure....
    I like to say that watching 'El Flaco Explosivo' was like watching a painter go to work on a canvas. I mean every stroke of the brush is like a straight right hand of Arguello slowly creating something of nothing and building up. Every punch was precise every latteral movement was to a tee. IMO to see him fight was brilliant! I mention and bring him up as often as I can.
    IMO and in my book he beat Pryor the 1st time around, theres NO WAY! Pryor could not have fallen from those straight rights and hooks that Arguello threw if NOT for the mixed drink and also the fact that the comission forgot! to collect Pryors urine samples immidiately after the fights is ALL a crock of S***!

'El Flaco Explosivo' thats translates to 'The Explosive Thin Man'
    Please accept a COOL CLICK from me - I totally agree with your whole post!

Thread Information