Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If Bruce Lee was alive today....He would.........

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Bruce Lee was alive today....He would.........

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    What about fighters like Bolo Yeung, Chuck Norris, Van Damme how would they fair in MMA today?

Actually a better question by far
    I was thinking about Bolo,on just this subject just yesterday
    Honest awnser,I dont know,his combination of ungodly strength,and flexibility might be too much,but he allways was(even early) a little sluggish,and not the most driven martial artist.
    But jesus christ,if he caught you

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    What about fighters like Bolo Yeung, Chuck Norris, Van Damme how would they fair in MMA today?

Actually a better question by far
    I was thinking about Bolo,on just this subject just yesterday
    Honest awnser,I dont know,his combination of ungodly strength,and flexibility might be too much,but he allways was(even early) a little sluggish,and not the most driven martial artist.
    But jesus christ,if he caught you
    Good points...
    I hated Bolo growing up I couldn't stand him.
    Which means he did a great job at playing the villan role.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruce lee beat Bolo up on the set of enter the dragon after Bolo challenged him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I dont think he could just be thrown in the octigon tomarrow and be champ I will give him credit for having the right idea about using what works in the martial arts and he was very fast and strong for his wieght. so maybe give him a year off jujitsu training and i think he would do well .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to say i've watched that vid of the one inch punch quite a few times and to me it just looks like he pushed him back.Ive done it a couple of times to friends and had the same result more or less. If you stand square you are off balance...thats basic physics. If the chap being 'pucnhed' would have been at a 45 degree angle then i doubt the fall backwards into the chair would have been so 'violent'. It looked like a push...the fact the fella was standing square on and went reeling back so easily made it look more impressive.

Sorry but i don't buy the 1 inch punch.

Lee was a good pioneer of 'what works' in a street situation. I train and have trained in combatives for quite some time and lee's moves were some of the most economic and fluid movements there are. His advocated eye gouges, chin jabs but all this stuff had been around since the beginning of time anyway. he just brought them more to the forefront. A lot of the stuff Lee was doing was being taught as WWII combatives by sykes and fairburn for use in unarmed combat in the field of battle.

Lee was a fantastic athlete. No mistake about that...who had amazing attributes. No one can take that away from him.

When Dana calls him the godfather of MMA i think what he means is he was the first martial artist who tried to blend arts together and rightly so. Martial arts has been around since the year dot but bruce trained with the great Gene Lebelle in Judo and a number of other arts to bring together his JKD. Which is more of a concept than an overall art anyway (from what i can gather). Bruce did a lot of good work for martial arts and i do respect him as a a great athlete but sorry...the whole 1 inch punch nonesne is rubbish. Also all this stuff about him as a fighter...hmmmmm

Also as far as traditional martial arts working in a street fight scenario i have posted countless times on this so anyone who has been on here a while should know my views.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Misconception clearing time\
    1st The 1 inch punch is taught in the style of Wu Chin,the first style Lee trained in
    2nd I would like to see someone who thinks its just a push put their knuckle 1 inch away from someones chest,and launch them airborn 3 feet in to a chair,and then have the chair slid another 3 feet,or in the case of the 64 invitational,just get knocked over
    3rd Jeet Kune Do is a style,and there are still two certified trainers of Lees original students Dan Inosanto,and Taky Kimura,both have cerified teachers as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Misconception clearing time\
    1st The 1 inch punch is taught in the style of Wu Chin,the first style Lee trained in

Do you mean Wing Chun? He studied under Yip Man. Also.....ok, the originating art lends no weight to the argument of it being something applicable or real.

2nd I would like to see someone who thinks its just a push put their knuckle 1 inch away from someones chest,and launch them airborn 3 feet in to a chair,and then have the chair slid another 3 feet,or in the case of the 64 invitational,just get knocked over

I didn't see anyone getting 'air' on either of those videos, and definitely not being 'ariborne' for 3 feet and landing into a chair. What i saw was someone standing square on and unbalanced being pushed into a chair. yes there was an element of punching in it but there was also a lot of pushing going on. I'll ask you to do an experiment. Have someone stand square on at you...and push them lightly with your finger, they will start to go back because the weight displacement is incorrect to give good balance if you stand square on.

3rd Jeet Kune Do is a style,and there are still two certified trainers of Lees original students Dan Inosanto,and Taky Kimura,both have cerified teachers as well

I always thought Jeet Kune Do was a concept. In other words. If someone came up to me and demanded my wallet and i spat a greenie in their face causing them to run away. I could call that Jeet Kune Do as it was employing my spitting attribute to fit the situation. Maybe i am grossly wrong on that mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Missy does/has done JKD so maybe she can shed some more light on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are roughly 6000 students of Jeet Kune Do right now.The main concept behind it was "the casting off of the useless" but the useful things still need to be taught.
    You dont wake up one day and decide,hey I think Ill throw an absolutely perfect side kick,even though Ive never so much as seen one before.
    There are things that need to be taught,but Jeet Kune Do,as does Ed Parker Ken Po unlike most other systems,allows for refinement and inovation by the actual instructor
    Except for your personal interaction with your instructor,one Jui Jitsui school is pretty similar to every other,Ed Parker,and Jeet Kune Do schools can vary greatly,with only the base attributes being the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anoyone want to guess what Lee's striking speed from 3 feet away was?
    500ths of second
    Hed wipe these UFC types out in nanoseconds
    No disrespect but thats an incredibly ignorant thing to write and something i would expect from a teenager talking about his favourite movie star.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are roughly 6000 students of Jeet Kune Do right now.The main concept behind it was "the casting off of the useless" but the useful things still need to be taught.
    You dont wake up one day and decide,hey I think Ill throw an absolutely perfect side kick,even though Ive never so much as seen one before.
    There are things that need to be taught,but Jeet Kune Do,as does Ed Parker Ken Po unlike most other systems,allows for refinement and inovation by the actual instructor
    Except for your personal interaction with your instructor,one Jui Jitsui school is pretty similar to every other,Ed Parker,and Jeet Kune Do schools can vary greatly,with only the base attributes being the same
    I agree with you to some degree there. Its not the system that makes it effective but the person and instructor.

A system is only as good as the person employing it. What it does give you though is attributes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munky
    500ths of second
    No disrespect but thats an incredibly ignorant thing to write and something i would expect from a teenager talking about his favourite movie star.

In all honesty,I rarely, if ever watch Lee's movies
    I have a very low John Saxon tolerance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munky
    500ths of second

In all honesty,I rarely, if ever watch Lee's movies
    I have a very low John Saxon tolerance

Awww come on TM. Don't kid me. I bet you've sat there and smacked one of your students on the head and said little gems like

"Its like a finger...pointing away to da howizon"

and

"Don't concetwate on da finger or you will lose all da heavenly glorwy"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok Ill confess,my teacher in Ed Parker used to love the line of "Bricks dont hit back" but I dont hold it against him
    Maybe Ill go watch that cinematic John Saxon tour de force "Mitchell"
    Actually the MST3K version is really funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bruce lee weigh 135 pounds
    i dont know if i want to see 135 mma fighters but there are so against others 135 he'll winn
    against faber at 145 he get cut against his eyebrow

Thread Information