Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Amateur Boxing...

So I just thought of something. I'm 22, and just started boxing bout a month ago (and its going very well if I say so myself, cept for getting rocked by some "prick" wink wink Von). Anyways, my goal is to get into amateur boxing. Now, I dont know how the amateur game works. I'm assuming they only match people up by age, not skill level. If this is true, am I doomed to be fighting guys my age that have been boxing for years and years? Does this mean I gotta train even harder to catch up on lost time?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amateur Boxing...

Not at all you are graded you will start of a raw novice and be matched accordingly. At the beginning its sometimes harder in the gym than the fighting.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amateur Boxing...

Quote Originally Posted by MDS8405
    So I just thought of something. I'm 22, and just started boxing bout a month ago (and its going very well if I say so myself, cept for getting rocked by some "prick" wink wink Von). Anyways, my goal is to get into amateur boxing. Now, I dont know how the amateur game works. I'm assuming they only match people up by age, not skill level. If this is true, am I doomed to be fighting guys my age that have been boxing for years and years? Does this mean I gotta train even harder to catch up on lost time?

Well it is broken up into skill levels...you have novice and then you have open class....Novice are guys who have under I want to say 10-15 fights ( been a long time since I trained a new fighter)....but I also never started someone out at a Senior level (17 and up) so the numbers may be different...so in the beginning anyone you fight will not have more than that amount of fights...once you get into the open class it is ripe pickings...you can have 16 fights and be matched against a guy with 50 so the rules say but....At the shows the coaches get together to make fights and decide if they think it is a good match up or not so to keep their fighter from being slaughtered...If you ever get a coach who puts you in with a much more experienced fighter get rid of him...And you can always say no your self if you think it is not a good match up....To get a complete breaknown I suggest you visit... The USA boxing website they are the ones who run the amatuer boxing association and have the rules on the site......But you have only been boxing about a month you said so in all fairness you have a long time in the gym before you are ready to have a bout....I personally will not let one of my guys even spar unless he has some time in the gym...Then I have to know he is ready fully before I will let him fight out of my place....You would be suprised how many guys are animals in the gym then in the fight they suddenly find it to be a different story.....Practice and get some good sparring in...Try to find a guy who will work with you and not use you to get his work in
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Thread Information