Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: You gotdam right we early as hell on this one...this is one for the ages though...so let's talk bitc

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacko's Drunken Round by Round : Courtesy of superheavyrhun! Oscar vs Floyd.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just another one of Wacko's Drunken Round by Rounds: Oscar vs Floyd. Discuss

CC, Wack,excellent analysis. I agree with LG though,althought the size of the ring is not the be all and end all,it WILL be a big factor,the bigger the ring,the harder it's going to be for Oscar to cut it down.

Also,PBF jab used to be much much better,he does not use it much anymore though but I think that would be a big weapon against OSCAR,I don't think Oscar is good at handling jabs because he doens't really use his head and his arms are wide apart enough fot eh jab to land consistently,watch the Sturm fight,Felix landed jab after jab.

The number 1 factor for me is Oscar's inactivity..to fight PBF,you have to be sharp,you have to be fresh and you have to be motivated. Oscar is motivated,but he has had a prolonged period of inactivity,it's not his first long period out and they WILL catch up to him somewhere.

And his last fight against Mayorga was propoganda,it was to show the audience that the Goldenboy is back,back to his best etc etc. It answered absolutely NOTHING about his stamina,it just showed he could bang. He chose Mayorga for a reason and that was to look good and he clocked by Ricardo a few times too.

Floyd moving up in weight will have a slight effect on his speed but he will still be much faster. The Reyes gloves may have a bearing but it depends on how Floyd fights. The biggest guy he has fought thus far, Baldo,he employed potshot and run tactics,if he does that again,Oscar will NOT catch him.

However,I expect and hope for a better performance than that. It all depends on how great the speed differnce is and we'll only find out in the ring I guess.

I personally think Floyd will win and it would be dissappointing if he does not.He's younger faster fresher,Oscar's inactivity,rust,stamina questions and he is getting older all add up.However,it may be close and I have a feeling that there will be rematch,I mean 2 "businessmen",possibly the highest $$$ generating fight in boxing history,it has rematch stamped all over it!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just another one of Wacko's Drunken Round by Rounds: Oscar vs Floyd. Discuss.

At this point in time Im favouring PBF. Oscar is coming off a second lengthy lay off and though impressive against Mayorga, PBF is a whole different ball game. I can see Floyd picking off Oscar and an aged Oscar struggling to connect all night. Floyd has the speed, the youth and the savvy to put that paycheck in the bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just another one of Wacko's Drunken Round by Rounds: Oscar vs Floyd. Discuss.

I'll start out my preview by looking at a couple different myths that exist regarding this fight.

The biggest myth entering this fight is the supposed huge advantage of size and power enjoyed by De La Hoya.
    1. Many people are forgetting that DLH started his career at roughly the same weight as Mayweather. DLH started out fighting at ~133, before dropping down to 130 to win his first title at junior lightweight, which is the same weight class at which Mayweather won his first title. DLH made stops at 135-140-147, just like Mayweather has done.
    2. DLH does not enjoy a significant natural size advantage. DLH is not a very big boned fighter in his own right. While he has fought at 160, 154 is really the highest class that he could fight naturally in. Also, if you look at the tale of the tapes for DLH and Mayweather, you would see that the differences are not substantial, any advantages are rather small, and in fact their reaches are equal at 72".
    3. DLH is an overrated puncher. There, I said it. DLH has never been a lethal puncher above 140 pounds. This is a fact. With the exception of Vargas (who despite being tremendously brave, has a very suspect chin), DLH has not shown the ability to hurt elite fighters at either 147 or 154. Even his TKO of Vargas was the result of 10+ rounds of working the body and breaking Vargas down. His performance against Mayorga was very impressive, however Mayorga was coming off a performance where he had eaten about 500 power shots from Tito and was damaged goods IMO.
    Make no mistake about it, DLH will be the hardest puncher that Mayweather has ever faced, but he is not an explosive puncher.

Another myth is that DLH is washed up or rusty.
    I don't see this at all. DLH is 33, and while he has certainly been in tons of big fights, he hasn't been in a huge amount of "wars," the kinds of fights that take something out of a fighter that never returns. He hasn't absorbed a huge amount of punishment, and therefore he is fresher than many 33 year old fighters. Also, I think his inactivity over the last several years may have actually kept him fresh. He hasn't been beaten down by numerous tough fights over the last few years. Also, DLH has always shown the ability to be sharp despite long layoffs. He had not fought in over 400 days when he faced Vargas, and he turned in one of his best performances. He had been off for 20 months when he fought Mayorga, and looked great from the opening bell. This fight will not be won by the younger fighter or the fresher fighter, it will be about who is the better fighter.

Boxing fans love to talk about power, and they love to talk about size and weight, but boxing is about one thing above everything else: speed. Always has been, always will be. Mayweather is the fastest fighter on the planet, no one will dispute this.
    I think a key for him is to not come in too heavy for this fight. There's always a chance that weight can slow down a fighter. I think Floyd is smart enough to know that just because the limit is 154, that doesn't mean he HAS to come in at 154. If 150 is the weight he feels best at, then that's the weight he should fight at. If he wins, he's going to win because of speed and movement, so whatever weight allows him to be his fastest is the weight he should fight at.

Bottom line:
    I've said for years that there are only three ways that Mayweather will lose a fight.
    1. He gets old and loses his speed and reflexes: He'll only be 30 on fight night, this doesn't apply yet.
    2. He moves up too far in weight and gets caught by one punch from an enormous puncher: As I already explained, DLH is not a dynamic puncher at this weight, I don't believe he has the power to beat Mayweather with 1 or 2 shots.
    3. He gets in the ring with an exceptionally tall and long fighter who can swarm him, similar to what Forrest did to Mosley: DLH doesn't fit this profile either, he isn't significantly bigger than Mayweather and their reaches are equal.

I like Mayweather by a unanimous, but relatively close decision. 116-112 was my initial prediction, and I'm sticking with it. Mayweather is too fast and he will land consistently enough to win the majority of the rounds. DLH will always be in the fight, but I don't think he has the power to turn the tide of the fight with one punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't believe ODLH can catch PBF cleanly enough to hurt him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    I'll start out my preview by looking at a couple different myths that exist regarding this fight.

The biggest myth entering this fight is the supposed huge advantage of size and power enjoyed by De La Hoya.
    1. Many people are forgetting that DLH started his career at roughly the same weight as Mayweather. DLH started out fighting at ~133, before dropping down to 130 to win his first title at junior lightweight, which is the same weight class at which Mayweather won his first title. DLH made stops at 135-140-147, just like Mayweather has done.
    2. DLH does not enjoy a significant natural size advantage. DLH is not a very big boned fighter in his own right. While he has fought at 160, 154 is really the highest class that he could fight naturally in. Also, if you look at the tale of the tapes for DLH and Mayweather, you would see that the differences are not substantial, any advantages are rather small, and in fact their reaches are equal at 72".
    3. DLH is an overrated puncher. There, I said it. DLH has never been a lethal puncher above 140 pounds. This is a fact. With the exception of Vargas (who despite being tremendously brave, has a very suspect chin), DLH has not shown the ability to hurt elite fighters at either 147 or 154. Even his TKO of Vargas was the result of 10+ rounds of working the body and breaking Vargas down. His performance against Mayorga was very impressive, however Mayorga was coming off a performance where he had eaten about 500 power shots from Tito and was damaged goods IMO.
    Make no mistake about it, DLH will be the hardest puncher that Mayweather has ever faced, but he is not an explosive puncher.

Another myth is that DLH is washed up or rusty.
    I don't see this at all. DLH is 33, and while he has certainly been in tons of big fights, he hasn't been in a huge amount of "wars," the kinds of fights that take something out of a fighter that never returns. He hasn't absorbed a huge amount of punishment, and therefore he is fresher than many 33 year old fighters. Also, I think his inactivity over the last several years may have actually kept him fresh. He hasn't been beaten down by numerous tough fights over the last few years. Also, DLH has always shown the ability to be sharp despite long layoffs. He had not fought in over 400 days when he faced Vargas, and he turned in one of his best performances. He had been off for 20 months when he fought Mayorga, and looked great from the opening bell. This fight will not be won by the younger fighter or the fresher fighter, it will be about who is the better fighter.

Boxing fans love to talk about power, and they love to talk about size and weight, but boxing is about one thing above everything else: speed. Always has been, always will be. Mayweather is the fastest fighter on the planet, no one will dispute this.
    I think a key for him is to not come in too heavy for this fight. There's always a chance that weight can slow down a fighter. I think Floyd is smart enough to know that just because the limit is 154, that doesn't mean he HAS to come in at 154. If 150 is the weight he feels best at, then that's the weight he should fight at. If he wins, he's going to win because of speed and movement, so whatever weight allows him to be his fastest is the weight he should fight at.

Bottom line:
    I've said for years that there are only three ways that Mayweather will lose a fight.
    1. He gets old and loses his speed and reflexes: He'll only be 30 on fight night, this doesn't apply yet.
    2. He moves up too far in weight and gets caught by one punch from an enormous puncher: As I already explained, DLH is not a dynamic puncher at this weight, I don't believe he has the power to beat Mayweather with 1 or 2 shots.
    3. He gets in the ring with an exceptionally tall and long fighter who can swarm him, similar to what Forrest did to Mosley: DLH doesn't fit this profile either, he isn't significantly bigger than Mayweather and their reaches are equal.

I like Mayweather by a unanimous, but relatively close decision. 116-112 was my initial prediction, and I'm sticking with it. Mayweather is too fast and he will land consistently enough to win the majority of the rounds. DLH will always be in the fight, but I don't think he has the power to turn the tide of the fight with one punch.

in 24 hours Sweetpea
    I wouldn’t go as far as to call them myths.. Oscar is 5"11 and has grown into that body pretty well. but he is no world beater . Mayweather is technically superior, and if Floyd can keep his speed as he moves up he should be able to do what he do, and that is win. . can Oscar catch him ? and if he does can he win the battle? Mayweather is not just some punk , he prefers to move and not get hit, but back him into a corner and he can put some punches together, can his hands hold up? a little Novocain in between them knuckles will do the trick . the more I think about it, I favor Mayweather,

Oscar was beat by Strum unofficial . I thought Ike Quartey beat him , and I thought Pete beat him and Pete was 33 years old Whitaker put on a jabbing clinic and used his elusive style to confuse and frustrate De La Hoya . Oscar was never able to land any of his big punches or hurt Whitaker in the fight. Whitaker landed 232 out of 582. De La Hoya landed 191 out of 557. Whitaker out jabbed De La Hoya 160-45., also Trinidad got him, and Shane Mosley got him twice. anyone with excellent movement and foot speed gives Oscar problems. Floyd is the best pure boxer outta any of those mentioned above . I don't see how an aged Delyhoya is going to be able to put the brakes on Floyd Mayweather all of a sudden ?

My official prediction : Floyd W 12 Unanimous Decision

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only factor that worries me about Oscar is ringrust but otherwise Oscar beats Floyd in all aspects of the sport. I can see ODLH hurting Floyd and winning via a UD or stoppage.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to disagree with everything that everyone is posting...but I gotta be that guy.

Ring rust aint going to be as big a factor as some might think. Trust me...it crossed me mind too...hence the reason that I brought it up...but this is Oscar. He's probably working his ass off right now...he'll come in with little to none if it's even there.

Also...there is a size advantage in Oscar's favor. SOrry...but there is. I don't care where he started at...there's many years of honing ones skills at a higher weight & Floyd coming in at a career heavy first of 150-154...that's an advantage to the naturally heavier guy.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I hate to disagree with everything that everyone is posting...but I gotta be that guy.

Ring rust aint going to be as big a factor as some might think. Trust me...it crossed me mind too...hence the reason that I brought it up...but this is Oscar. He's probably working his a** off right now...he'll come in with little to none if it's even there.

Also...there is a size advantage in Oscar's favor. SOrry...but there is. I don't care where he started at...there's many years of honing ones skills at a higher weight & Floyd coming in at a career heavy first of 150-154...that's an advantage to the naturally heavier guy.
    I usually root for the smaller guy/or the underdog but this time I'm rootin for the bigger guy to humble Floyd.
    Definitely there is a huge disparity in size/power and that will play the biggest factor in favor of Oscar.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Humble

Ring rust aint going to be as big a factor as some might think. Trust me...it crossed me mind too...hence the reason that I brought it up...but this is Oscar. He's probably working his a** off right now...he'll come in with little to none if it's even there.

I usually root for the smaller guy/or the underdog but this time I'm rootin for the bigger guy to humble Floyd.
    Definitely there is a huge disparity in size/power and that will play the biggest factor in favor of Oscar.
    Agreed...I hate this fight has actually come off...but I really really am curious to see the outcome.

I just can't see Floyd beating Oscar...it's just a tuff call for me...then again...IWO...Floyd is the most accomplished fighter of the last 10 years, skill wise.

Truly...I want to be at this fight & I am steady working it out!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Humble

Agreed...I hate this fight has actually come off...but I really really am curious to see the outcome.

I just can't see Floyd beating Oscar...it's just a tuff call for me...then again...IWO...Floyd is the most accomplished fighter of the last 10 years, skill wise.

Truly...I want to be at this fight & I am steady working it out!
    Wow!!! Get us some pics when you're there. It might also be a blessing in disguise for Floyd if he beats Oscar he'll shut up lot's of haters like me
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just another one of Wacko's Drunken Round by Rounds: Oscar vs Floyd. Discuss

why does everybody keep insisting Oscar is going to win ... u know how stupid ur going to feel come may 5?

if mayweather loses it'll be like Tyson-Douglas or Traver Jones but i don't see that happening for mayweather

this time around Tyson lost because he didn't work out.... Jones lost cuz his ass got old and couldn't take a punch no more (review his fights and he got hit with alot harder punches than what Traver hit him with) but mayweather is still in his verypeak prime and de lahoya in his prime couldn't beat mayweather hos is he now?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If PBF loses,I'll be shocked and there were great points made by sweetpea

"DLH is an overrated puncher. There, I said it. DLH has never been a lethal puncher above 140 pounds. This is a fact. With the exception of Vargas (who despite being tremendously brave, has a very suspect chin), DLH has not shown the ability to hurt elite fighters at either 147 or 154. Even his TKO of Vargas was the result of 10+ rounds of working the body and breaking Vargas down. His performance against Mayorga was very impressive, however Mayorga was coming off a performance where he had eaten about 500 power shots from Tito and was damaged goods IMO.
    Make no mistake about it, DLH will be the hardest puncher that Mayweather has ever faced, but he is not an explosive puncher."

TOTALLY agree and you could argue Tito ruined Vargas too.

and this point from LG:

Oscar was beat by Strum unofficial . I thought Ike Quartey beat him , and I thought Pete beat him and Pete was 33 years old Whitaker put on a jabbing clinic and used his elusive style to confuse and frustrate De La Hoya . Oscar was never able to land any of his big punches or hurt Whitaker in the fight. Whitaker landed 232 out of 582. De La Hoya landed 191 out of 557. Whitaker out jabbed De La Hoya 160-45., also Trinidad got him, and Shane Mosley got him twice. anyone with excellent movement and foot speed gives Oscar problems. Floyd is the best pure boxer outta any of those mentioned above . I don't see how an aged Delyhoya is going to be able to put the brakes on Floyd Mayweather all of a sudden ?

My official prediction : Floyd W 12 Unanimous Decision Afro

TOTALLY agree there too(apart from the Ike fight). and PBF is at least in speed and athleticism better than thaose guys and Oscar is not as good as he was then.And I agree with your prediction too.If Oscar wins this,it'll be a big shock to me but I'll be cheering him on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    why does everybody keep insisting Oscar is going to win ... u know how stupid ur going to feel come may 5?
    Nobody wants to see Floyd win for the most part...except his die hard fans...myself...I'm a huge fan of both. I would love to see Floyd win...but I just don't know that he can against Oscar.

There is more to Oscar than just size.

if mayweather loses it'll be like Tyson-Douglas or Traver Jones but i don't see that happening for mayweather
    No it won't...they were more evenly matched & competed in the same division. Get a clue.

this time around Tyson lost because he didn't work out.... Jones lost cuz his a** got old and couldn't take a punch no more (review his fights and he got hit with alot harder punches than what Traver hit him with) but mayweather is still in his verypeak prime and de lahoya in his prime couldn't beat mayweather hos is he now?
    You think that a Prime Oscar couldn't beat Floyd...I gotta disagree...100%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    2. He moves up too far in weight and gets caught by one punch from an enormous puncher: As I already explained, DLH is not a dynamic puncher at this weight, I don't believe he has the power to beat Mayweather with 1 or 2 shots.3. He gets in the ring with an exceptionally tall and long fighter who can swarm him, similar to what Forrest did to Mosley: DLH doesn't fit this profile either, he isn't significantly bigger than Mayweather and their reaches are equal.

I'd love for Mayweather to pull out on the stops & put on a boxing clinic...but Oscar's just as capable of doing such himself.

The thing is...while you say Oscar is not a dynamic puncher...he is an accumulative puncher. If he catches Floyd in a flurry of shots...there is no telling how Floyd will handle this.

Again...believe you me...I want Floyd to win...I just think that there is enough of the old Oscar left to do so.

He'll come in comfortably & prepared & he won't underestimate Floyd like he did Sturm & Floyd doesn't have the one punch power to hurt Oscar like Hopkins did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh...& for the points SweetPea.

Thread Information