Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holding is a foul , which needs to be treated as a foul !

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holding is a foul , which needs to be treated as a foul !

Quote Originally Posted by Kel
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    I agree, far too much holding and hitting IMO

Please tell Hatton to stop this.

Hatton likes to fight on the inside so why would he tie up or hold? Its his opponents who hold, Rick just wants to throw punches and instead of backing off he stays in their face.

Holyfield v Tyson is an example of exessive holding though. Holyfield just held on so Tyson could not throw any punches........which I thought was a good strategy.
    Kostya Tszyu also used holding to slow down opponents who moved quicker than he did......again a good strategy.
    PBF holds when he is cornered or againsed the ropes to avoid punishment......could you call that a foul?

Seems to me every tactical fighter holds.

Where do you draw the line with it?
    Hatton holds and hits in every fight, People always tell me I haven't seen enough of him, but I have yet to have anyone show me a video where he doesn't hold and hit. And thanks for the sc by the way.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's the laws where I live from the Arizona Boxing Commision, so it applies to fights IN Arizona only.

Historical Note
    Adopted effective January 21, 1981 (Supp. 81-1).

ARTICLE 3. CONDUCT OF CONTESTS

R4-3-301. Fair blows and fouls

A. The only fair blow is one delivered with the padded knuckle part of the glove on the front or sides of the head and body above the belt.

B. All blows that are not fair as described in subsection (A) above are fouls. The following practices are also classified as fouls:

1. Hitting an opponent who is down or in the process of getting up after being down.

2. Holding an opponent with one hand and hitting with the other.

3. Holding or maintaining a clinch after directed by the referee to break.

4. Pushing or wrestling.

5. Butting with the head or shoulder.

6. Hitting on the break.

7. Hitting after the bell has sounded ending the round.

8. Any unsportsmanlike trick or action likely to cause injury to an opponent in the opinion of the referee.

9. Refusal to obey the commands of the referee.

10. Falling down intentionally.

Source: http://www.azsos.gov/public_Services/Title_04/4-03.htm

Based on that. Holding is NOT a foul! that can't be right can it?
    Only holding and hitting, and holding after directed to break! interesting!
    I think we need another set of rules to look at. Any web searchers out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton likes to fight on the inside so why would he tie up or hold? Its his opponents who hold, Rick just wants to throw punches and instead of backing off he stays in their face.

Holyfield v Tyson is an example of exessive holding though. Holyfield just held on so Tyson could not throw any punches........which I thought was a good strategy.
    Kostya Tszyu also used holding to slow down opponents who moved quicker than he did......again a good strategy.
    PBF holds when he is cornered or againsed the ropes to avoid punishment......could you call that a foul?

Holyfield's may have held a little here and there, but made no habit of it ~ he was a warrior for the most part. an when did Tszyu hold a fighter? this I can't recall he never made a habit of it ! this i can say.. I'm talking about the habitual holders. Lewis . Wlad Klitchko , john Ruiz, , Timor Whateverthfuck, these guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym

Holyfield's may have held a little here and there, but made no habit of it ~ he was a warrior for the most part. an when did Tszyu hold a fighter? this I can't recall he never made a habit of it ! this i can say.. I'm talking about the habitual holders. Lewis . Wlad Klitchko , john Ruiz, , Timor Whateverthfuck, these guys.
    Never said Holyfield made a habit of it but the first Tyson fight he held for most of the fight.
    Tszyu held Sharmba Mitchel in both fights to slow him down so he could get his punches off (he admitted this strategy)

Im not talking about any particular fighter but what would be considered a foul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THE ASSOCIATION OF BOXING COMMISSIONS
    abcboxing.com
    Regulatory Guidelines

Fouls

A foul is an action by a boxer, identified by the referee, that does not meet the standard of a fair blow or the conduct of a responsible professional fighter. Fouls may include, but are not limited to, the following types of contact or acts:
    1. Hitting an opponent below the navel or behind the ear;
    2. Hitting an opponent who is knocked down;
    3. Holding an opponent with one hand and hitting with the other;
    4. Holding or deliberately maintaining a clinch;
    5. Wrestling, kicking or roughing;
    6. Pushing an opponent about the ring or into the ropes;
    7. Butting with the head, shoulder, knee, elbow;
    8. Hitting with the open glove, the butt or inside of the hand, or back of the hand,

the elbow or the wrist;
    9. Purposely falling down onto the canvas of the ring without being hit or for the

purpose of avoiding a blow;

10. Striking deliberately at that part of the body over the kidneys;
    11. Using the pivot blow (pivoting while throwing a punch) or the rabbit punch

(punches thrown to the back of the head and neck areas);
    12. Jabbing the eyes with the thumb of the glove;
    13. Use of abusive language;
    14. Unsportsmanlike conduct causing injury to an opponent that does not meet the

standard of a fair blow;
    15. Hitting on the break;
    16. Intentionally spitting out the mouthpiece;
    17. Hitting on or out of the ropes;
    18. Holding rope and hitting;
    19. Biting/spitting;
    20. Not following referee's instructions;
    21. Stepping on opponent;
    22. Crouching below opponent's belt;
    23. Leaving neutral corner; and
    24. Corner second shouting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wladimir is a habitual holder?What are you talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Klitschkofan

Klitschko cannot fight on the inside, he resorts to grabbing and hugging his opponent when they get inside, wanting the ref to break it up rather then move, cause he has no footwork.. that’s his problem . Riddick Bowe would fight out of that same situation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Klitschko cannot fight on the inside, he resorts to grabbing and hugging his opponent when they get inside, wanting the ref to break it up rather then move, cause he has no footwork.. that’s his problem . Riddick Bowe would fight out of that same situation
    Have you seen all of his fights, because I have and the only fight where he held more than the average heavyweight was the Peter fight and in that case it was no more than Muhamad Ali did in his fights.It was a smart tacticle decision Stewart made and it worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its not as evident when Klitschko is having his way , at his desired range,, its when he fights a guy that can get through his offense. a guy that finally gets inside .. then Wlad wants to hold , so the ref will separate the two, and push the other guy back outside again. Its a flaw that Klitchko have ! He is a nice guy, and can punch very good, but his weakness is poor footwork and the hold on the inside .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that holding and running (Spinks, De La Hoya) should be penalized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brazilianbomber

I agree that holding and running (Spinks, De La Hoya) should be penalized.
    De la Hoya ! LOL.. he ran only once, and lost his ass in the process ! hehehe.. lesson learned mate. lesson learned.. you never see him run again, this I can say with some certainty !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THE ASSOCIATION OF BOXING COMMISSIONS
    abcboxing.com
    Regulatory Guidelines

Fouls

A foul is an action by a boxer, identified by the referee, that does not meet the standard of a fair blow or the conduct of a responsible professional fighter. Fouls may include, but are not limited to, the following types of contact or acts:
    1. Hitting an opponent below the navel or behind the ear;
    2. Hitting an opponent who is knocked down;
    3. Holding an opponent with one hand and hitting with the other;
    4. Holding or deliberately maintaining a clinch;
    5. Wrestling, kicking or roughing;
    6. Pushing an opponent about the ring or into the ropes;
    7. Butting with the head, shoulder, knee, elbow;
    8. Hitting with the open glove, the butt or inside of the hand, or back of the hand,

the elbow or the wrist;
    9. Purposely falling down onto the canvas of the ring without being hit or for the

purpose of avoiding a blow;

10. Striking deliberately at that part of the body over the kidneys;
    11. Using the pivot blow (pivoting while throwing a punch) or the rabbit punch

(punches thrown to the back of the head and neck areas);
    12. Jabbing the eyes with the thumb of the glove;
    13. Use of abusive language;
    14. Unsportsmanlike conduct causing injury to an opponent that does not meet the

standard of a fair blow;
    15. Hitting on the break;
    16. Intentionally spitting out the mouthpiece;
    17. Hitting on or out of the ropes;
    18. Holding rope and hitting;
    19. Biting/spitting;
    20. Not following referee's instructions;
    21. Stepping on opponent;
    22. Crouching below opponent's belt;
    23. Leaving neutral corner; and
    24. Corner second shouting.

Good work Lords gym (Tua still sucks though)

Based on the above list Peter scored well! he was guilty of
    #'s 1,2,3,14,15,20,and 22!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its not as evident when Klitschko is having his way , at his desired range,, its when he fights a guy that can get through his offense. a guy that finally gets inside .. then Wlad wants to hold , so the ref will separate the two, and push the other guy back outside again. Its a flaw that Klitchko have ! He is a nice guy, and can punch very good, but his weakness is poor footwork and the hold on the inside .
    All based on 1 fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All based on 1 fight?
    a years worth of clinching in that Peter fight mate. I thought Wlad was going to propose to Peter ! He does it vs. Brewster.. many more times , just can't recall off the top of my head . its something he is known for, I’m not making this up ! Ask around !

Thread Information