Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding is a foul , which needs to be treated as a foul !

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Holding is a foul , which needs to be treated as a foul !

Holding is one of the most obvious poor tactics in the sport of boxing. It not only infuriates the fans, but it negates action during the bout. Add a tad bit of running to the mix and you got a real shit storm watch

Referees need to be on their A game and put holding to rest. Refs like Jay Nady are doing a great job, keeping the action going.. can you imagine watching Rachman -vs.- Maskaev with a different referee ? Those fighters would have been hugging each other to death in there. , and boring the shit out of the fan ~! However with Nady in there constantly reminding the two not to hold, and issuing warnings , the match turned out to be one of the best HW watches in recent years !

Fighters who are known to use holding as strategy need to be dealt with fast. , right from the gate they need to be warned.. You have Tall opponent who uses the referee over and over again in order to get their desired distance , without working for it.. ,a short fighter is at a huge disadvantage when this happens.. The short fighter has to work hard to get their desired distance, they deserve the opportunity when they get it , to fight on the inside.. Its up to the tall fighter to box his way out of there. Not to clinch and simply have the ref give him his distance back.. Think about it. Its unfair. Its not an even platform when that is allowed over and over again.. People need to understand that holding is a huge foul in boxing. Referees need to understand this.. And the boxing organizations need to encourage point deductions when this happens repeatedly , just as if it were a low blow.

Fighters using Holding as a strategy is killing the sport of boxing .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holding is a foul , which needs to be treated as a foul !

I can understand that, but some of it is legal. What should be illegal I think is reaching out to grab someone right after you get your offense off. Like throwing two punches and then reaching out and grabbing a fighter. That is what should be penalised imo.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    I can understand that, but some of it is legal. What should be illegal I think is reaching out to grab someone right after you get your offense off. Like throwing two punches and then reaching out and grabbing a fighter. That is what should be penalised imo.
    Exactly ! way to much of that going on today.. especially in the HW division. CC in 24 , thanks for your response !

Really though holding is not legal in any way shape or form.. its tolerated way to much . a fighter gets rocked and is trying to get himself together, understandable...... but used as a strategy its 100% unacceptable .

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, far too much holding and hitting IMO

Please tell Hatton to stop this.

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep

Now holding and hitting i can handle, LMFAO ! its holding and doing nothing , that i can't stand. heheh CC thanks for the response ! hitting is a good thing when it comes to boxing !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't like holding full stop! I have seen to many shit fights because of holding, after a couple rounds one guy thinks to him self "oh well fuck this i can't beat this guy but i cans ure as hell go the 12 rounds if i constently hold on, spoil and make this fight as borring as possible, send all the fans to sleep, but fuck it i will ad least go the 12 rounds" hate that!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone else notice that so many Manny Steward fighters hit and hold? Now I've never had a problem with Manny, but his fighters are getting more and more boring to watch.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holding is the first sign of bad technique or the bottles gone
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

99% of the refs have allowed holding, for so many years, it is viewed as a strategy to win now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    Anyone else notice that so many Manny Steward fighters hit and hold? Now I've never had a problem with Manny, but his fighters are getting more and more boring to watch.
    This I say ! Manny is partly to blame.. the boxing organizations and referee are the real problem.( They not enforcing the rules that are right there in black and white to be enforced ) .. Manny knows he can teach his fighters to do this and get away with it because he knows the foul is rarely enforced,, now the by product is A boxing mismatch. I am saying mismatch in that the Tall fighter will use the ref to get his desired distance via holding and then of course immediate referee interference as the ref swiftly separates the two fighters . , and thus will win an easy DEC. boring as all hell ! and unjust .. Instead of breaking the two fighter the ref should say “ this is your first warning , no more holding , now fight out of the clinch “!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The main reason they get away with it is because usually they are the house fighter in Mannys case
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    The main reason they get away with it is because usually they are the house fighter in Mannys case
    Amen brother ! Amen ! CC in 24 mate !

I am ready for some new house fighters ! before the HW divison falls of the charts all together !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Part of the problem is that both fighters often hold.
    It's the little secret agreement that fighters make during a fight as Teddy Atlas calls it.
    Were both tired so I'll hold your right arm and you hold mine and we'll both rest for just a sec or two till the ref breaks us.
    When only one fighter holds it's more obvious and usually results in warnings and points or in extreme cases, Henry Okinwandi, a DQ
    What about Peters posting,hitting behind the head, and holding behind the head? Holding kills a fight, but a 250lb guy REPEATEDLY clubbing a guy smack on the brainstem could kill the fighter! I need to read the WBC rules and see what it actually says! anyone with a link? or pro boxing official rules in general regaurding fouls?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's the laws where I live from the Arizona Boxing Commision, so it applies to fights IN Arizona only.

Historical Note
    Adopted effective January 21, 1981 (Supp. 81-1).

ARTICLE 3. CONDUCT OF CONTESTS

R4-3-301. Fair blows and fouls

A. The only fair blow is one delivered with the padded knuckle part of the glove on the front or sides of the head and body above the belt.

B. All blows that are not fair as described in subsection (A) above are fouls. The following practices are also classified as fouls:

1. Hitting an opponent who is down or in the process of getting up after being down.

2. Holding an opponent with one hand and hitting with the other.

3. Holding or maintaining a clinch after directed by the referee to break.

4. Pushing or wrestling.

5. Butting with the head or shoulder.

6. Hitting on the break.

7. Hitting after the bell has sounded ending the round.

8. Any unsportsmanlike trick or action likely to cause injury to an opponent in the opinion of the referee.

9. Refusal to obey the commands of the referee.

10. Falling down intentionally.

Source: http://www.azsos.gov/public_Services/Title_04/4-03.htm
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep

Hatton likes to fight on the inside so why would he tie up or hold? Its his opponents who hold, Rick just wants to throw punches and instead of backing off he stays in their face.

Holyfield v Tyson is an example of exessive holding though. Holyfield just held on so Tyson could not throw any punches........which I thought was a good strategy.
    Kostya Tszyu also used holding to slow down opponents who moved quicker than he did......again a good strategy.
    PBF holds when he is cornered or againsed the ropes to avoid punishment......could you call that a foul?

Seems to me every tactical fighter holds.

Where do you draw the line with it?

Thread Information