Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy Jones Jr Vs Sugar Ray Robinson

This is a good one, if they fought each other both in their prime at middleweight.

Roy Jones Jr.
    Reach 74”
    Stance Orthodox
    Height 5' 11
    W 50 (38 ko's) | L 4 | D 0 | Total 54
    Titles: Champion at middleweight (undefeated in the division), super middleweight (undefeated in division), light heavyweight and heavyweight.

Sugar Ray Robinson
    Reach 72½ in.
    Stance Orthodox
    Height 5' 11
    W 173 (108 ko's) | L 19 | D 6 | Total 200
    Titles: Champion at welterweight (undefeated in the diviison) and middleweight.(4 times a champ).

Both where good, jab, stamina, decent KO power and ringcraft. I say it would be a draw.

What does the pundits think?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy Jones Jr Vs Sugar Ray Robinson

Robinson could do every single thing better than Jones insode the ring, plus he had chin, bucketloads of heart and never avoided anyone.

The Sugarman ignores Jones' clowning in the early rounds, outboxes him in the middle rounds and takes him out with one punch by the 11th.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    Robinson could do every single thing better than Jones insode the ring, plus he had chin, bucketloads of heart and never avoided anyone.

The Sugarman ignores Jones' clowning in the early rounds, outboxes him in the middle rounds and takes him out with one punch by the 11th.

That's just not true though.. There is no way in hell that Robinson was as fast, hit as hard, or had the reflexes that Roy did.. Heart, chin, and balls, are majorly in his favour, that's true... But every single thing, hardly. Plus Roy only had a couple fights at middleweight and was a massive 160 lbers, wheras Robinson was a relatively small MW, really better at welter. It's a pick em for me, leaning slightly towards Roy... Of course noone will give him his fair shake in this one because SRR is the GOAt... Most people probably wouldn't tip Whittaker to beat Henry Armstrong at lightweight either, ppl give ATG status way too much weight in these hypothetical matchups, imo...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

X oh yes he did
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've made this statement several times and I'll stick by it now, at middleweight, NO ONE BEATS ROY JONES JR!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roys jab would slow Robinson down,

Roys movement would also make it difficult for Robinson.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know Sugar Ray is considered possibly the best ever but if these two met in the ring my money would be on Roy . When I look at some of teh guys who beat Robinson and how they did it , I get the feeling that Jones Jnr would have been too fast and too sharp .

I really believe Roy Jones Junior in his prime was that good .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking at a lot of old tapes of Robinson and watching Roy a lot during his prime ,i think this fight would be much tougher for Robinson then a lot of ppl think. Robinson never fought a fighter as gifted athletically as Roy Jones of 1993 ,1994. I think over 15 rounds Robinson would eventually catch up to Roy and eventually KO him or win a decision because he would be the aggressor as the fight went on. If it were 12 rounds ,i could see Roy pot shotting his way to a decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RayLeonard82 - Your point is good, but Roy could adapt to 15 rounds.

GAME - I believe this would actually be a 50/50 both were sharp when it came to hitting an opening.

albsur2006 - Every fighter can be beaten. Roy picked the right type of middleweight fighters and avoided the difficult ones to beat.

p4pking - good point, Riy at light heavyweight could beat Robinson easier.

X - It would be a tough fight for both, and Roy wouldn't clown around with an ATG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If James Toney couldn't ko Roy or Bernard HOpkins niether could Robinson who had about a 50% ko rate and middleweight and higher. He didn't have close to RJJ's power or speed. I will give Robinson a chance against Mayweather because of the size differential, but against Roy? ARe you crazy. Ray was weighing in at middleweight for most of it at 145ish, and you think he is strong enough to take out Roy who does have a good chin(watch pre comming back down from Heavyweight Roy, and you'll see he could take a punch). Ray gets dropped for the first, and only time ever if he fought RJJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In a P4P sense I go with Ray...Of course I also pick Ray against anyone ever if your just going by skill....If it were an actual fight...I have to say Roy...Ray was past his best at LH even Middle and we all know Roy ain't makin Welter...But as far as skill alone Ray all day
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

robinson looked alot more powerful because of little gloves and guys that fight with a pole going thorugh there whole body thats stamped to the ground they just stood there and took a beatin .... while robinson is considered greater because of his accomplishments he cant beat jones jones to fast to strong and to big and his chin awsnt glass when he was prime so i hinestly think its impossible for jones to win but it can be argues ... great topic one of the most argued like ali vs tyson

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    I've made this statement several times and I'll stick by it now, at middleweight, NO ONE BEATS ROY JONES JR!!!
    I couldn't agree more. At 160/168 Jones was unbeatable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    If James Toney couldn't ko Roy or Bernard HOpkins niether could Robinson who had about a 50% ko rate and middleweight and higher. He didn't have close to RJJ's power or speed. I will give Robinson a chance against Mayweather because of the size differential, but against Roy? ARe you crazy. Ray was weighing in at middleweight for most of it at 145ish, and you think he is strong enough to take out Roy who does have a good chin(watch pre comming back down from Heavyweight Roy, and you'll see he could take a punch). Ray gets dropped for the first, and only time ever if he fought RJJ.
    I consider Robinson at WW a few notches below Robinson at MW. I'm not sure Ray gets dropped, but I do agree with you, that a prime Roy would be just too much for Robinson at MW. His size and speed would be enough to overcome the technical advantages held by Ray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    In a P4P sense I go with Ray...Of course I also pick Ray against anyone ever if your just going by skill....If it were an actual fight...I have to say Roy...Ray was past his best at LH even Middle and we all know Roy ain't makin Welter...But as far as skill alone Ray all day
    What do you mean by skill? I am just curious. I think Roy was a better offensive fighter than anyone who's ever fought in terms of being able to get all the angles, and overwhelm an opponent either pot shotting or throwing combinations while Ray is a better jabber, and has better technical aspects.

Power:Roy Jones Jr.
    Speed: Roy Jones Jr.
    footwork: about even
    defense: wasn't overly impressed with either, but Ray had better technical defense while Roy had better reflexes and was hit less.
    chin: Ray... p4p at least.
    heart: Ray
    jab: Ray
    cross: Roy
    left hook: ROy
    right hook: Ray
    body puncher: Roy

I think Roy would beat almost anyone p4p, it would be interesting seeing him against Floyd who's defense, and nearness in speed and reflexes would be fun to watch.

Thread Information