Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: IF Toney makes Cruiser,How will he do against these guys..?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default IF Toney makes Cruiser,How will he do against these guys..?

James Toney has a chance to erase the failings of his Heavyweight venture.
    By dropping to Cruiser he shows he is serious about training and wins the hearts and support of many fans back.

BUT! To cement his legacy as an ALL TIME GREAT. he will need some super fights in which to showcase his masterful defensive skill,improved conditioning and more effective power on these lighter guys.
    HOW WILL HE DO? against...

1) Roy Jones Jr.

2) Bernard Hopkins

3) Antonio Tarver

4) Chris Byrd

5) Glen Johnson

6) Evander Holyfield. (Evander is SO set on world Titles he MIGHT drop to cruiser to get one last one if he can't get it done at heavy...think about it!)

Pre-judge these fights,the outcomes, and the effects it would have on James Toney's Legacy?
    AND...IF he should accomplish something signifigant should he try to use it as a springboard for a final shot at a HW belt in the future?

LETS HEAR IT!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: IF Toney makes Cruiser,How will he do against these guys..?

I sure would like him to fight Byrd
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) Roy Jones Jr. - Toney by UD, RJJ hasn't aged as well, and I don't think he has the power to get to Toney

2) Bernard Hopkins - Hopkins by UD, let's face it Hopkins is a dirty fighter, who is exactly who it takes to beat someone who is slick.

3) Antonio Tarver - Toney by UD, Tarver is not nearly active enough to do anything to Toney

4) Chris Byrd - Byrd by UD, Toney doesn't have the power to hurt Byrd, I think Byrd is the more tactical puncher, while Toney has the better defense

5) Glen Johnson - Johnson by TKO, Skills and Power Johnson would woop on Toney all night.

6) Evander Holyfield. - Toney by SD, this would be a great match-up either guy could take it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by landmine950
    By dropping to Cruiser he shows he is serious about training and wins the hearts and support of many fans back.

BUT! To cement his legacy as an ALL TIME GREAT. he will need some super fights in which to showcase his masterful defensive skill,improved conditioning and more effective power on these lighter guys.

1) Roy Jones Jr.

2) Bernard Hopkins

3) Antonio Tarver

4) Chris Byrd

5) Glen Johnson

6) Evander Holyfield. (Evander is SO set on world Titles he MIGHT drop to cruiser to get one last one if he can't get it done at heavy...think about it!)

Pre-judge these fights,the outcomes, and the effects it would have on James Toney's Legacy?
    AND...IF he should accomplish something signifigant should he try to use it as a springboard for a final shot at a HW belt in the future?

LETS HEAR IT!?
    For 1, no way Toney can make cruiser at age 38. As much as I like the idea I posted it earlier its not gonna happen.

And 2, Most the guys you list are below Cruiser. Forget Glenn Johnson & Hopkins. What about Bell, Mormeck,Hill Tokarev Braithewaite etc All good fights for him at cruiser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    1) Roy Jones Jr. - Toney by UD, RJJ hasn't aged as well, and I don't think he has the power to get to Toney

2) Bernard Hopkins - Hopkins by UD, let's face it Hopkins is a dirty fighter, who is exactly who it takes to beat someone who is slick.

3) Antonio Tarver - Toney by UD, Tarver is not nearly active enough to do anything to Toney

4) Chris Byrd - Byrd by UD, Toney doesn't have the power to hurt Byrd, I think Byrd is the more tactical puncher, while Toney has the better defense

5) Glen Johnson - Johnson by TKO, Skills and Power Johnson would woop on Toney all night.

6) Evander Holyfield. - Toney by SD, this would be a great match-up either guy could take it.
    I have it the same way except for these...

Byrd split decision..A brilliant fight that i want to see like crazy... A slick boxer versus a counter puncher... Not that toney ever makes weight again...But i see it being oh so close...

Johnson was never and has never been on the top tier in my opinon...
    If these guys at heavy still fail to stop james..A johnson that never really peaked..And possibly is even past his best if he was ever in the sam class..Doesnt beat a toney that makes a weight...
    Thats serious work from toney..If he could pull of getting into shape..Then very few beat him..

And i see evander no different from the fight at heavyweight..
    Not that toney once again makes cruiser ..Or that evander gives up on the heavyweight division and tried cruiser...
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he wont

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He barely makes heavy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    He barely makes heavy
    What?..

How did you reach this conclusion my friend?
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    He barely makes heavy
    toney is passed heavy.

at cruiser i take toney against everone except byrd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Erikk
    Quote Originally Posted by landmine950

1) Roy Jones Jr.

2) Bernard Hopkins

3) Antonio Tarver

4) Chris Byrd

5) Glen Johnson

LETS HEAR IT!?
    For 1, no way Toney can make cruiser at age 38. As much as I like the idea I posted it earlier its not gonna happen.

And 2, Most the guys you list are below Cruiser. Forget Glenn Johnson & Hopkins. What about Bell, Mormeck,Hill Tokarev Braithewaite etc All good fights for him at cruiser.

Well ...Byrd,Evander and RJJ all fought at heavy.
    Why forget Bhop?
    Bhop is talking maskaev at heavy so Cruiser isn't a problem
    Tarver handled Jones and he's tall at 6'2" so he's ok at cruiser.
    Why forget Johnson? A win over the guy who beat RJJ and Bhop would be a good set up for either of those fights.
    Johnson is the one I kinda threw in there,and The guy that I figured everyone would pick Toney to cream.
    He hasn't been below Light heavy since 2000 so cruiser isn't a huge deal. And I figured the wins over Rjj AND tarver made him an interesting addition

I don't see him fighting any one at cruiser who isn't a main name. And of course he'd be smart to pick older guys,not a young guy who would just out hustle him all night.

I obviously have my own ideas about how he fares at cruiser....HEY just remember I said it.

JAMES TONEY AT CRUISER!

(MInd you thats what 47 pounds away!! from pre fight weight! He could be 250+ walkin around) Sh1t what am I talking about!!??! lol

For toney losing 47 is like losing 400 better chance that he will grow wings and flap his way to the moon!

BUT IT WOULD BE NICE WOULDN"T IT!

Thread Information