Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sparring tonight...

Had a good night of sparring tonight...

Went a few rounds with a pro lad called michael monaghan, Who fought carl froch back in '03
    Having a really good tear up..Looking pretty impressive from what i hear..
    Then when he got finished a few more rounds.. With a good young amatuer lad called nathan who's dads a trainer at the gym.. Right fast and slick lad..Can really bang, Had a good couple of rounds with him..
    Then onto the third and a minute or so in i got caught with a shot and went down...
    Just didnt see a punch coming and sat me on my arse just sat there shaking my head and smiled...
    Ive never been down before.. And this lad nath is a real humble lad asking me if i was alright n stuff..
    I was pretty embarrassed to be honest.. They told me to stop that round and jump out for a moment..
    I asked em for another round as i was about done.. Another round with nath and he seemed to not be throwing much as before..Like he was taking it a little easy on me.. Kinda got my back up a little cos i didnt get hurt by the punch just didnt see it coming and didnt want him to take it easy on me...
    Just wondering about anyone else on the forum..If any of ya'l been down and how etc..
    Get back to me...Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sparring tonight...

Nice to know ya'll care
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never been down, only by body punches. I dread the day though, its bound to happen to us all at some point.
    What did it feel like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got dropped by Jason Estrada sparring as an amateur. He doesn't even hit that hard, but I was loading up and never saw it coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My husband/trainer knocked me down once when I was sparring a bit with him. Didn't hurt a bit. I was a bit off balance and he landed a good one on me and helped me right to the floor. Ooops. I just sat there chuckling and thinking about not doing that again.

My biggest thing I need to work on is taking body shots better. I can't seem to hunch down and whoof the air out of my lungs in time consistently. Man, getting whopped in the ribs when there's still air in them tends to make me smile less....and talk like Sen Dog from Cypress Hill for awhile.

I actually go through some drills from time to time where I just take light shots to the body to practice and get more accustomed to them...of course just when I start getting good is right when da boss decides to jab me in the face to keep me honest. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoie
    Never been down, only by body punches. I dread the day though, its bound to happen to us all at some point.
    What did it feel like?
    It was like i always knew the fact that your gona go down when you dont see a punch...
    But never understoof it quite right..Lol now i do.. Wasnt hurt by the punch.. It just sat me down and i knew it wasnt a hard shot cos i was in with a mate of mine whos got a good lot of experiance and can pull his punches.. Just sat on my arse with a smile on my face shaking my head...
    Think my mate was worried incase i thought he took a liberty.. But it was completely my fault i told him..
    Not only did i not see the punch..( Think it might have been a left hook).. But i walked into it too..Lol
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i get the Sen Dog Voice, too. In orthodox stance, I rather hold my left up to cover my head rather than gut. I eat strait rights to the gut as a result. I get the Sen Dog voice and sometimes my voice crackles like bietch. I hate straight rights to the head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordanIV
    i get the Sen Dog Voice, too. In orthodox stance, I rather hold my left up to cover my head rather than gut. I eat strait rights to the gut as a result. I get the Sen Dog voice and sometimes my voice crackles like bietch. I hate straight rights to the head.
    Yo airjordan..Guess who's roy jones jordans came in the post brother
    Pure Baller!! I dread wearing em in the gym cos they make me look a flash bastard lol
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yo tito, let them hate. You know if they could, they would cop. Sweet bro. I think I might get myself a pair because they seem like they could absorb more impact compared to my everlast lo tops. Crucial when yer skipping. Enjoy 'em tito.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordanIV
    Yo tito, let them hate. You know if they could, they would cop. Sweet bro. I think I might get myself a pair because they seem like they could absorb more impact compared to my everlast lo tops. Crucial when yer skipping. Enjoy 'em tito.
    Yeh they great for footwork bro.. real nice real comfortable too
    Only problem is ive had to wear em in a bit before i wore em out cos they not like material theyr kinda leathery so when they brand spanking new they tend to squeek a bit..
    Gave em a good polish with the none colour stuff..Worked a treat..Stops all the friction..
    And whats more..Theyr just strait baller..
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well my knees have met the canvas. I'm glad it was in the gym and not a fight. Now, as a trainer who sparrs my fighters, I try to have them experience body shots at home before they feel them during the real thing. I think this helps them, because it helped me.

Old Town Boxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oldtownboxing
    well my knees have met the canvas. I'm glad it was in the gym and not a fight. Now, as a trainer who sparrs my fighters, I try to have them experience body shots at home before they feel them during the real thing. I think this helps them, because it helped me.

Old Town Boxing
    Lol seems like thats micks theory aswell
    Lol.. You spar the bloke..and its blatant he does go easy with you to an extent..Because he has his hands low and he isnt all that busy in the ring.. But on the other hand..Its sometimes alot worse because he knows and i know i cant hurt him.. And he looks for counters..
    So whats better ..He doesnt stay busy against you..But he doesnt pull his punches either..
    He really bangs you.. I caught some real meaty body shots the other night and a big left hook on the side of the head... Rung my ears..
    You know when you hold your nose and make your ears pop.. Well i do that and the air just comes right out of my right ear.. Dont hurt..But is a wee bit strange i recon..lol
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess its a lot better gettin knocked downin sparring than in a contest...I've never been down either but a month ago i was boxing a big french heavyweight (i'm 75kg!!!!) and i got caught..In hindsight i should have taken a knee, recovered and got back to boxing. Instead i decide to battle and i very nearly lost as a result, coming out resembling arturo gatti!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yo tito i can remembert the froch monaghan fight. monaghan really wound him up and gave him all kinds of problems.
    never been down in sparring but got knocked down in a fight once. cheeky fat bastard hit me in the fuckin ear when i wasn't looking. knocked me over cos i was off balance and holding a burger. got straight back up and knocked the living shit out him. and i know what you mean with the embararsment thing mate. but fuck it, get back on the horse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jbirdy
    yo tito i can remembert the froch monaghan fight. monaghan really wound him up and gave him all kinds of problems.
    never been down in sparring but got knocked down in a fight once. cheeky fat bastard hit me in the fuckin ear when i wasn't looking. knocked me over cos i was off balance and holding a burger. got straight back up and knocked the living shit out him. and i know what you mean with the embararsment thing mate. but fuck it, get back on the horse
    Cheers bro cc...
    Funily enough i got bashed right on the lughole by monohan the other week... Plus he dont pull his punches..
    Really fwoked me up.. think it perferated my eardrum
    But doesnt look like i'll be sparring him again..Cos the trainers have fallen out with him recently..
    I got back from a week spent in the peak district and i hear that he didnt stop for sparring last weds and that the owners of the gym n the trainers well saying he was an arrogant cunt.. Me and a mate recon he's taken a liberty in sparring like he usually does and went to far and thats why they all fucked off with him.. lol
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information