Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Self-Training?

I want to get into boxing, but there's only one gym in my area. And from what I have seen when I've gone in there, there's only one guy going around giving advice, and like 15 people just doing what they want.

Now I was wondering if it would be worth it to just buy a heavy punching bag (either hanging or freestanding) and a speedball, and just train myself as they might. Like, work on things like stance and technique myself...

Just to say, I'm signing up for another gym for weight training (since the boxing gym's assortment of weights BLOWS), so that will be covered. Just that the weight training is going to be done at the local YMCA, and they don't offer boxing. (The YMCA weight training actually costs less than it would at the boxing gym).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Self-Training?

You can't train technique by yourself. It's impossible to properly look at your self whilst training properly and you are basically pulling the knowledge out of the air.

Even with book/tapes etc you won't get too far. to get as far as you can possibly go you need some one who knows what they are doing assessing you and pointing out your weaknesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i look at it this way. say you want to be a guitarist, your not gonna know nothing unless Someone Shows You how to play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i look at it this way. say you want to be a guitarist, your not gonna know nothing unless Someone Shows You how to play
    bad analogy dude.....
    almost every guitar legend was self taught, jimi hendrix, jimi page, eric clapton, ME

silver52x, go to that boxing gym instead. one trainer is better than no trainer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi there..
    Like im sure the others here will agree.. You cant really get too far training by yourself..
    Dont worry about the trainers approaching you mate.. Just watch the other guys keep training for the finess and get your fair share of sparring..Thats where you'll get your experiance..
    then once you start getting better and better and show some improvement its likely that the trainers will make the time to help you out here and there.. But you gota get in there and sparr so's that they start to recognise you and make them want to help you out..
    Peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_dude
    bad analogy dude.....
    almost every guitar legend was self taught, jimi hendrix, jimi page, eric clapton, ME

Imagine if they'd had no teacher and no guitar... that's what trying to teach yourself to box is like... :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bad analogy dude.....

theres a difference in what your Saying.
    hendrix, clapton,page, These Guys were born with talent, the Adverage joe, will have to work Their A$$es of To Get something Like This. and yes your Right :he Will Learn Some Stuff Self Taught but he will have A hard time if he wants to be a good boxer, for starters can't Spar? . Can't hit mits?.
    what im basically Saying is that, youll be a lot better with professional Help.
    if you Train and follow some Good advice, you good be better then Anyone out there, it All depends On how much u want Something And how hard you Wanna try .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pure
    bad analogy dude.....

theres a difference in what your Saying.
    hendrix, clapton,page, These Guys were born with talent, the Adverage joe, will have to work Their A$$es of To Get something Like This. and yes your Right :he Will Learn Some Stuff Self Taught but he will have A hard time if he wants to be a good boxer, for starters can't Spar? . Can't hit mits?.
    what im basically Saying is that, youll be a lot better with professional Help.
    if you Train and follow some Good advice, you good be better then Anyone out there, it All depends On how much u want Something And how hard you Wanna try .
    P.s i make a lot of lttle errors im my typing because i type real Fast and listen to music and im not really paying attention .

Thread Information