Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Vitali Doesnt Deserve a Shot

at Maskaev. He was a coward against Byrd and for pulling out out of the Rahman fight, and now he wants a title shot after he retires. Im not even so sure he deserves a shot at any top 20 guys. He can work his way back up like everyone else (Holyfield,Tua, Moorer,McCall, Morrison... need I go on) Who the hell did he ever beat to be in a position to call shots?
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vitali Doesnt Deserve a Shot

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    at Maskaev. He was a coward against Byrd and for pulling out out of the Rahman fight, and now he wants a title shot after he retires. Im not even so sure he deserves a shot at any top 20 guys. He can work his way back up like everyone else (Holyfield,Tua, Moorer,McCall, Morrison... need I go on) Who the hell did he ever beat to be in a position to call shots?
    He pulled out because he tore ligaments in his knee...not because of fear...maybe he's been out too long for you to remember he is far better than 99% of the top HW's...his fight with his brother to unify the division will settle the other 1%....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigragu
    He pulled out because he tore ligaments in his knee...not because of fear...maybe he's been out too long for you to remember he is far better than 99% of the top HW's...his fight with his brother to unify the division will settle the other 1%....
    He may be better than 99% of the Heavies, but he made a concious decicion to retire and he shouldnt be able to came back and right off the bat fight for a title. And i know he was winning the byrd fight but he wasnt exactly hurt like McCline was against VAluev. He should have continued imo but thats in the past. I still am not as immpressed with his resume than others may be
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WHOA..
    He had a legitimate injury with the byrd fight, the guy could barely keep his arm up, Also with rahman, he was suffereing with knee (and other problems). Dont forget, he could of held onto the belt for a very long time without fighting anyone because of the injury, be he retired as champ, due to injuries, nothing more or less. And when you retire like that, WBC gives you a break, telling you that if you ever overcome those injuries that lead you to retire, you get your shot! Its not like lennox lewis, who retired because he didnt want to do it anymore. Vitali physically couldnt compete.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigragu
    He may be better than 99% of the Heavies, but he made a concious decicion to retire and he shouldnt be able to came back and right off the bat fight for a title. And i know he was winning the byrd fight but he wasnt exactly hurt like McCline was against VAluev. He should have continued imo but thats in the past. I still am not as immpressed with his resume than others may be
    Should of continued?.... What in the world makes you a pro on deciding what type of injury can be brushed aside, and fought through? lol

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is nothing wrong with giving Vitali a shot at the title but it has to be AFTER Sam Peter has had his.

He's twice earned the right to fight Maskaev now.

What is the point of fighting an eliminator and risking your health and career when the organising body can just rip up the agreement afterwards and overlook you again.

I'm so angry about this, I can't believe how corrupt our beloved sport has become.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bilbo,
    corrupt?
    its in the rule book....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Championship Defense Obligations.

a) Voluntary Defense Obligations: All WBC recognized champions must defend their title at least two (2) times a year. Champions will defend their titles either in a voluntary or mandatory defense, as follows:

i) any of the top ten (10) rated contenders;

ii) upon a majority vote of the Board of Governors, any boxer rated from 11 to 19 positions;

iii) a champion or a top-10 rated boxer of another immediate lower or higher weight division, subject to the majority vote of the Board of Governors;

iv) a former or retired world champion upon majority vote of the Board of Governors; and

v) another boxing organization’s champion recognized by the WBC, upon majority vote of the Board of Governors.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Deuce
    bilbo,
    corrupt?
    its in the rule book....
    It's in the rules that you can force a fighter to fight for an eliminator. When he wins you can then force him to fight it again. And then when he wins again you can just overlook him anyway?

If that isn't illegal it sure as hell should be.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Deuce
    Championship Defense Obligations.

a) Voluntary Defense Obligations: All WBC recognized champions must defend their title at least two (2) times a year. Champions will defend their titles either in a voluntary or mandatory defense, as follows:

i) any of the top ten (10) rated contenders;

ii) upon a majority vote of the Board of Governors, any boxer rated from 11 to 19 positions;

iii) a champion or a top-10 rated boxer of another immediate lower or higher weight division, subject to the majority vote of the Board of Governors;

iv) a former or retired world champion upon majority vote of the Board of Governors; and

v) another boxing organization’s champion recognized by the WBC, upon majority vote of the Board of Governors.

That just gives a list of available voluntary fight options for a champion.

Peter is the madatory. Mandatory means who is damn well supposed to mean a non optionial fight.

This is the dictionary definition.

Mandatory

Peremptory; obligatory; required; that which must be subscribed to or obeyed.

Mandatory statutes are those that require, as opposed to permit, a particular course of action. Their language is characterized by such directive terms as "shall" as opposed to "may." A mandatory provision is one that must be observed, whereas a directory provision is optional.

An example of a mandatory provision is a law that provides that an election judge must endorse his or her initials on a ballot.

mandatory

adjective

Imposed on one by authority, command, or convention: compulsory, imperative, necessary, obligatory, required, requisite. See obligation.

man·da·to·ry (măn'də-tôr'ē, -tōr'ē) pronunciation
    adj.

1. Required or commanded by authority; obligatory: Attendance at the meeting is mandatory.
    2. Of, having the nature of, or containing a mandate.
    3. Holding a League of Nations mandate over a territory.

n., pl. -ries.

A mandatary.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Duno who Vitali has beaten to deserve this shot . His 1 claim to fame is lasting until the 6th with Lewis but a washed up Tyson lasted 8 .

Vitali may have been better than most at the time of his retirement but thats not the point . Peter has good reason to be annoyed . He was petrified against Sanders . Retired at the prospect of fighting Rahman and pulled out against Byrd when Danny Willimas won by k.o with his arm dangling against Potter .

He can probably do well in this comeback but make him work his way back up like former champs , Mcall and Moorer .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME
    Duno who Vitali has beaten to deserve this shot . His 1 claim to fame is lasting until the 6th with Lewis but a washed up Tyson lasted 8 .

Vitali may have been better than most at the time of his retirement but thats not the point . Peter has good reason to be annoyed . He was petrified against Sanders . Retired at the prospect of fighting Rahman and pulled out against Byrd when Danny Willimas won by k.o with his arm dangling against Potter .

He can probably do well in this comeback but make him work his way back up like former champs , Mcall and Moorer .
    You basically hit the nail on the head with that one. Further, I think that it's unprecedented in boxing history for a sanctioning body to create a "emeritus" Champ. It's absolutely insane. If there was any legitimacy to such a title, it would have been better served by giving it to a true champion like Lewis. He fought them all and secured a great legacy for himself. Vitali really didn't do much and remains unproven. Yeah, he had a great chin and took an uppercut from Lewis that would have K.O.'d most other H.W., but he still lost the fight and that's what he's best remembered for...it's a pretty laughable situation. It's also pretty sad
    "et ignotas animum dimittit in artes naturamque nouat" Ovid's Metamorphoses

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While I agree that Vitali has a legit excuse with his injury, I don't think he deserves to get right back in with a title shot. The title itself was considered Vacated and has gone through 2 holders, Hasim Rahman and then Oleg Maskaev.

After two years of inactivity I don't know how any organization can Rank a boxer higher than people that have actually been fighting, regardless of the reason.

Plus Peter has just fought for the WBC Heavyweight Title Eliminator twice, and officially won both times.

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GAME

yea but tyson only lasted into the 8th round because he wanted to punish tyson a bit before he put him away

El Kabong Guest

Lewis was saved by the grace of God when he accidentally cut Vitali.....everyone knows damn well that was Vitali's night!

As for Vitali coming back and fighting before Sam Peter....hey someone had to LET Vitali do that, WBC, Oleg Maskaev....they both are more at fault, Vitali COULD have taken a warm up fight but why? He had the ability to help make this fight happen and he did it....Sam Peter and ANYONE ELSE in Vitali's position would have done the same.

No one is excited at a SURE THING Vitali-Sam Peter happening OR the even bigger Vitali-Lewis II happening?

Or even a Wladimir Klitschko-Sam Peter II happening

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Lewis was saved by the grace of God when he accidentally cut Vitali.....everyone knows damn well that was Vitali's night!

As for Vitali coming back and fighting before Sam Peter....hey someone had to LET Vitali do that, WBC, Oleg Maskaev....they both are more at fault, Vitali COULD have taken a warm up fight but why? He had the ability to help make this fight happen and he did it....Sam Peter and ANYONE ELSE in Vitali's position would have done the same.

No one is excited at a SURE THING Vitali-Sam Peter happening OR the even bigger Vitali-Lewis II happening?

Or even a Wladimir Klitschko-Sam Peter II happening
    lewis was saved by the grace of God when he accidentally cut Vitali= i think thats over doing lyle vitali was ahead by 2 rounds yes but if i remember right at end of the 6th he was holding on for dear life vitali fought great fight no question but i think that uppcercut at end took alot out of vitali and like i said he was holding on at end of the 6th if it wouldnt of been for the cut its toss up for me i really cant say but i disagree with people saying that vitali definetly would of won if it wouldnt of been for cut

Thread Information