Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Pretty Boy Floyd too Good For His Own Good?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Pretty Boy Floyd too Good For His Own Good?

Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather Jr. uses old school stuff, but he does it so subtly, he is seldom given proper credit for it. He just might be too good for his own good. His use of shoulder rolls, feints, parrying, upward jabbing, giving angles, counter punching, crossover defense, strategic lateral movement, and deflecting punches is all part of the old school mix. So is his mastery of the basics…the three levels of defense, slipping punches, and fighting off the jab. If a purist is one who appreciates the technical aspects of the Sweet Science, Floyd Mayweather Junior is a purist’s delight. His fight with Phillip N'dou showcased these attributes to a tee.

However, if one definition of “Old School” is that it combines the full book on basics and technical aspects with a violent and malefic dimension (one that reflects a boxer’s propensity to engage in a pier six street brawl), then Floyd still has a way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Pretty Boy Floyd too Good For His Own Good?

his problem is like roy he makes good guys look like a joke the only way ppl will give him credit is when he loses and all those chumps he beat become champs kinda like jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

all he has to do is finish fights biG. or atleast show he wants to finish big.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say yes, defensively. His defence is so damn good he can win rounds and fights with a relatively low output, only punching as much as he needs to. Whittaker was similar only Pernell threw flashier combos while still on the defensive( as Majesty brought up and posted a vid of today), but Floyd puts his punches together better individually, there's alot more on them. Which if anything shows the Floyd really doesn't possess any power at welter or above, considering his technique behind the right hand is almost perfect. He doesn't waste any time or throw the kind of crowd pleasing combos that Sugar Ray threw, but he puts much more into each shot. That's why it's such an absolute joke when people criticize the way he fought Baldomir, if you couldn't see by the 6th round that he was repeatedly landing his best possible right hand with full extension, you just don't know anything about boxing.

El Kabong Guest

He's full of himself and he hasn't really fought many good fighters and no GREAT fighters.

He is in boxing for the money...which is ok because he's a PRIZE fighter......HOWEVER to be a great fighter you have to apply yourself more, money or no.

If PBF fought more GREAT fighters he'd make better money....it's win win, lest he loses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For none knowledgable sports fans I think he is too good for his own good, but the more knowlegable guys know exactly how good Mayweather is, and how he mixes the new with old... Sure you see some old techniques in him, but alot of them are revolutionary as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    For none knowledgable sports fans I think he is too good for his own good, but the more knowlegable guys know exactly how good Mayweather is, and how he mixes the new with old... Sure you see some old techniques in him, but alot of them are revolutionary as well.
    just coz we don't all have a hard on for him don't make us less knowledgable lol - i don't think he reads your posts mate, so don;t hold your breath on him asking you out for a date...

Quote Originally Posted by HMSARES
    Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather Jr. uses old school stuff, but he does it so subtly, he is seldom given proper credit for it. He just might be too good for his own good. His use of shoulder rolls, feints, parrying, upward jabbing, giving angles, counter punching, crossover defense, strategic lateral movement, and deflecting punches is all part of the old school mix. So is his mastery of the basics…the three levels of defense, slipping punches, and fighting off the jab. If a purist is one who appreciates the technical aspects of the Sweet Science, Floyd Mayweather Junior is a purist’s delight. His fight with Phillip N'dou showcased these attributes to a tee.

However, if one definition of “Old School” is that it combines the full book on basics and technical aspects with a violent and malefic dimension (one that reflects a boxer’s propensity to engage in a pier six street brawl), then Floyd still has a way to go.
    Mayweather is a great talent, but people expect more from the so called pound for pound best... Granted this oscar fight i give him all the credit in the world for just taking it... i don't think for a second mayweathe rhas ever ducked anyone, but fights like the baldimor one were a let down IMO. I don't watch boxing for the brutal punching you some times see, the blood and guts being spilled in gatti fights, i enjoy them as much as i enjoy clever fighters like winky and hopkins. but when you got this "pound for pound greatest in the ring with a very slow and soft puncher like baldimor, as a fan of the sport and have no preference of whom wins you expect some sort of a show from floyd. I expected Floyd to use the 'hit and run' but would of thought more of him as a fighter if there was more from him, more inas and out with nice combos, confusing baldi more flurrys being thrown...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I once said i thought all that shoulder rolling was for show, and he only does it when he's on top, cos his bigger asset was his reactions and speed, keeping your shoulder like that limits your punching, but it sure as hell keeps you safe if you can use it well, and sets up Mayweather's best punch, his right cross. That punch is a stinger, it does damage. I think Floyd would be loved so much more by everyone if he traded more, but he runs a slightly greater risk of catchin a big shot. Still, even when he flurries he seems almost impossible to hit!
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And his chin is not all that bad either..............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't think we can comment on floyd's chin just yet. be it solid or glass. his chin really hasent been tested and he hasent ever had to really eat a big shot. bit hitters like corales and gatti didn't land one decent shot and he has never been caught properly to warrant a comment on his chin other than that it hasn't been tested. but skill wise and technique he is masterful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look, if the future opponents of PBF fight each other and then PBF fights the one or two winners of that unofficial box off, that will be all he really has to do. If Cotto beats AM and PW beat Hatton and SSM beats Collazo, then PBF should fight Cotto and either SSM or Williams. This, of course, after he presumably beats ODH.

A tough one to picck would be Hatton vs. PW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jbirdy
    i don't think we can comment on floyd's chin just yet. be it solid or glass. his chin really hasent been tested and he hasent ever had to really eat a big shot. bit hitters like corales and gatti didn't land one decent shot and he has never been caught properly to warrant a comment on his chin other than that it hasn't been tested. but skill wise and technique he is masterful.
    Heck, I could have aworn Emanuel Augustus nauled him flush a few times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    Quote Originally Posted by jbirdy
    Heck, I could have aworn Emanuel Augustus nauled him flush a few times.
    made Mayweather's nose bleed. Judah also caught him with some clean straight left hands. Floyd's chin aint concrete but its not glass either.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    just coz we don't all have a hard on for him don't make us less knowledgable lol - i don't think he reads your posts mate, so don;t hold your breath on him asking you out for a date...
    Um how about you suck my dick then? Or stfu... I guess either way you would stfu so pick one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather doesn't get the credit he deserves because the style he fights and the talent he has adds up to a lot of fights that aren't competitive because his opponent simply can't land anything.
    The hardcore boxing fans and writers will always appreicate the technical skills of a fighter like this, but the casual boxing fans and mainstream media will never appreciate it, because his style is about defense and speed instead of brawling, blood and KOs.

Whitaker was constantly labeled as boring and was never able to attract big crowds or PPV numbers. I'm sure Willie Pep was labeled boring at times as well. I consider Whitaker and Pep to be the two closest comparisons to Mayweather.

Thread Information