Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clinton McKenzie's Boxercise gym in South London..last gym of it's kind in City.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Clinton McKenzie's Boxercise gym in South London..last gym of it's kind in City.

The only "Gym above a Pub" left in London has just been on tv,Used to be loads of these across London with the 'Thomas A' Becket' Pub being by far the most famous with Ali,Ray Robinson,Cooper and Bruno just some of those who trained there.
    Well worth getting down here still if your a Londoner.
    http://www.mckenzieboxercise.com/index.html

Thomas-A-Beckett Pub

Thomas a Becket (established 1787): A three-story building where Bowie and the prototype Spiders From Mars rehearsed in a single room. The rehearsal room itself was on the top floor, above a boxing gymnasium, with a pub on the ground floor. In later years Bowie would credit this building and Haddon Hall as the two main places where Ziggy Stardust was born.

Sounded a pretty cool place to train in the 60's and 70's too

Old Kent Road - Thomas A Beckett
    This was one of South London's most famous pubs as it had a boxing gym upstairs frequented by all the top names
    in British boxing such as Henry Cooper. I also remember going to see punk bands play in the downstairs bar on a Sunday
    evening in the late 80's

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Clinton McKenzie's Boxercise gym in South London..last gym of it's kind in City.

They were great days when Tommy Gibbons was mine Hoast, with that crazy monkey and the minor bird. brings back memorys. Upstairs Danny Holland ran the gym, one lovely man was Danny always helpfull with good advice and a smile. Fridays and Saturdays were bedlam down stairs with the Lino Brothers on stage, Oh happy days.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Clinton McKenzie's Boxercise gym in South London..last gym of it's kind in City.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    They were great days when Tommy Gibbons was mine Hoast, with that crazy monkey and the minor bird. brings back memorys. Upstairs Danny Holland ran the gym, one lovely man was Danny always helpfull with good advice and a smile. Fridays and Saturdays were bedlam down stairs with the Lino Brothers on stage, Oh happy days.
    aha my friend that was my great uncle danny holland ...you wouldnt know my dad would you micheal holland ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My gym is above an estate agents - does that count?
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by koppas View Post
    My gym is above an estate agents - does that count?
    what gyms that were abouts

Thread Information