Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Right handed south paw?

I have always boxed in an orthodox stance as when i first started they said all right handers should stand like that,

Now (a couple years later) im realizing i think i feel more comfortable southpaw , it makes sense as I snowboard and used to skateboard, and i would board in a "goofy" style , which is when you point your feet left like a south paw would stand in boxing almost.

Have you heard of right handed people doing this before ?

Im trying to convert to southpaw now and the punches are going ok , but the footwork is hard to get used to.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Right handed south paw?

i know a couple people who fight othodox and are left handed and the other way
    but if its what you feel more comfortable in go for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a southpaw, and I write and use a fork with my left hand, but I do just about everything else with my right hand.

One thing that I can do a bit that I think will be very useful from time to time in the ring is I can switch from southpaw to orthodox. Maybe you might be able to take advantage of your ability to fight both stances and confuse the crap out of the occasional opponent.

I don't plan on doing this much to try to prevent people from expecting me to switch up on them. Anyone out there switch stances to confuse your opponent? How well does it work for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I knew a coach who would make fighters change from orthodox to southpaw if he felt they had too much to correct. He thought that old bad habits in the orthodox style were sometimes impossible to erase. When he made them switch he started them as complete beginners again. They also had to learn to do everything else like brush their teeth as a left handed person. It took something like a year for them to reach to a standard where they could fight again but they were very successful in the end.

As for changing stances mid fight I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I have fought a few exhibitions against a girl who attempts this but I know she's orthodox and she never lands anything as a southy so it doesn't do anything for her except make her look like a bit of a show off. Perhaps it could be timed better though. Maybe very effective if used strategically rather than just for the hell of it. I would worry though that if your opponent is able to catch you mid-transition it could be messy.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

glencoffe johnson is a left handed orthodox fighter, so was herny cooper, so is miguel cotto and oscar dela hoya, i've heard rumors that floyd mayweather jr is a lefty aswell but not sure about that.
    winky wright is a right hander who fights southpaw. so is urango. and so was marvin hagler if i am not mistaken, although he used to switch quite often.
    stallone is actually right handed aswell despite playing a southpaw and left handed person in the rocky movies. so it all really depends on what you feel comfortable with at the end of the day.
    however most people new to boxing will adopt a southpaw style as the lead hand tends to do the most work so at first it makes sense to make that hand your dominant hand. but for the best results in my experience you should have your strongest (dominant) arm at the back and use your jabbing hand to set up your right hand (in the case of a right handed person).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's GENERALLY not a good idea, as you want the speed with the jab and the power with the cross. Like the above user said, it may seem like more sense to use the dominant hand to jab, but with training, the jab becomes very natural with your off hand.

When I first started boxing, I used to switch stances, as I can throw pretty much equally well from either stance. But as I learned more and more, I found myself switching stances less and less, and have become far more comfortable throwing from an orthodox stance. The benefit gained from switching stances (as far as I've seen) tends to be minimal. You're far better off perfecting one stance than trying to use both to a lesser level. The ONLY time I still do it is when I'm having a lot of trouble getting through someone's defense. Then I might switch up and throw a few left straights, then go back to orthodox and hope that I got them to think. Then I can usually proceed with my normal gameplan.

However, some righties do tend to just do everything else lefty. My brother is right handed, but plays hockey, golf and baseball lefty. He doesn't know why, but it just comes natural to him.

If you DO take this route, I STRONGLY suggest you work the hell out of your left arm to build up strength and CONSTANTLY train your left straight to get it up to speed. It will take a lot more work than you'd imagine, but it might pay off in time.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the replies guys...

Been spending time moving around and throwing punches as a southpaw, the punches seem to come easy, but the footwork is taking longer and feels a bit awkward at the moment.

I do feel more balanced though , i can slip and throw punches more on balance as a southpaw, it makes sense as I snowboard this way (as i think i said before) which needs alot of weight shifting and balance.

As someone said though, it is good to have your back hand though, so it is a bit weird having a weak cross, though it's not that bad, i think i can try it. It is already very quik i think as im used to jabbing with it , and i can throw multiple lefts in a row quickly unlike I used to be able to do with my right.

Anyway just been trying this stuff at home so gonna have a go as a south paw on the bags tonight at the gym.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It can be confusing so Ill confuse it more. What moves the right shoulder is the lleft , and the left is moved by the right what gives the signal to do it is your eyes which have given you messages from the past, its already happened. If your not on the move youll get hit. Now the dominant eye with better parrifarrel vision wrks the back foot or should through awareness. If you are right handed and want to box southpaw while shadow boxing shut your right eye it will help with foot movement
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really interesting Scrap. So are you saying the dominant eye slows down the foot movement and by eliminating it the body is reacting closer to the present time.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It helps the crossover of feel to the feet rather than relying on the dominant eyes pull in direction and your thought patterns try it it works. Gives the back foot stability, time and tide wait for no man it just keeps the tide out a bit longer.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great. I'll give it a go. I'm off to the big smoke now. Have a few queries on this. Back later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How long do you think you should work on this Scrap before taking the new footwork into sparring?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by md
    How long do you think you should work on this Scrap before taking the new footwork into sparring?

You didn't ask me, but Ill an answer anyway which is : when your comfortable with it
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MD The line of thought is straight away, because of the psyhcodinamics. I think a little confusition at first helps. But as all things theres a balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Scrap - I was just thinking about your eye control principle nd I'm wondering if it could explain why I am often a late starting in boxing competitions?

I take a round or sometimes longer to 'get my eye in' and then find it much easier but have to work hard to make up lost ground. Perhaps I'm not 'getting my eye in' at all but gathering a little info with my eyes and then feeling the distance and timing relying on them less after the initial adjustment?

In my last fight I fought an opponent who was not worried about hitting me hard at all but she was a tricky southpaw who used her angles well. I found that not being hit with much power actually made it harder for me to fight her. I think I can tell where an opponent is more easily by responding immediately to the weight of their punches on my guard or body than by actually seeing them.

Are there methods you can suggest which will lessen the time I take to 'get my eye in' or whatever it is that I'm doing in the first round before I can switch to proper fight mode?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Thread Information