Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Want to start boxing

Hi,

I'm 15, I want to start boxing in a few months, what can I do to give me a head start?

I want to get the following up:

*Speed
    *Stamina
    *Strength

So far I've been tackling strength by going on the Mark Riptoes body-building program which I've been on for a month.

Here's a pic: [Taken yesterday]

I use a jump rope everyday for a while, what else can I do to get stamina and speed up?

I'll update that pic next month and show you any improvements, what I want to know is what will be required of me before I start getting professional coaching (My local gym: http://www.redcorner.co.uk/) - I heard from a mate that I'll be expected to do 50 push-ups etc...

Any other tips or advice on what to do and what I should be able to do before I start training are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Want to start boxing

I'm not a weights expert but I like cardio so I'll just stick to advice for that and leave other details to more weights minded people.

A bit of jogging would be good. Start slow and easy then build up the intensity gradually. If you kill yourself initially you might injure yourself and you won't enjoy it as much.

The key is keeping it fun so you always want to do it - then pushing hard becomes easy when your body is ready.

Need to stretch to avoid killing yourself too much especially if you haven't done much running.

Once you have a base you can start sprints etc but aim for getting comfortable running 30 mins regularly maybe including some faster bursts during the run and a few hills.

Vary the runs (pace and route) to keep them interesting. For the next two months I think one run every 2 days between 30 and 40 minutes would be a good start. It'll help you get closer to your competitive weight and get used to having your heart rate up high.

I'm always surprised when I wear my heart rate monitor just how aerobic boxing is compared to many other sports. It's not just about muscular strength but the aerobic ability to keep using it at speed.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rav_Sandhu
    Hi,

I'm 15, I want to start boxing in a few months, what can I do to give me a head start?

I want to get the following up:

*Speed
    *Stamina
    *Strength

So far I've been tackling strength by going on the Mark Riptoes body-building program which I've been on for a month.

Here's a pic: [Taken yesterday]

I use a jump rope everyday for a while, what else can I do to get stamina and speed up?

I'll update that pic next month and show you any improvements, what I want to know is what will be required of me before I start getting professional coaching (My local gym: http://www.redcorner.co.uk/) - I heard from a mate that I'll be expected to do 50 push-ups etc...

Any other tips or advice on what to do and what I should be able to do before I start training are much appreciated.

Thanks.
    No offence ment,but you would need to lose a bit of weight.You look at least 2 weight divisions over your potental fighting weight.

How much do you weigh at the moment?
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Sharla , Thanks for the advice, I'll do that whenever I get the chance. I'll have to be waking up at about 6am to do it though because that's when its quiet.

@porkypara, Lol, no offence taken mate. Its the 'bulking phase' of body building, I'm putting on mass, I'm off it now, you'll see my new pic next month now I'm in the 'cutting phase'.

I weight 14stones, that's 90kg or 198.4lbs. Bare in mind I'm pretty tall (6'1 -2 last time I checked).

Thanks again for the advice on how to get into shape before I start boxing, I hope someone can fill me in on how much I have to weight and what I need to be capable of etc.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Sharla , Thanks for the advice, I'll do that whenever I get the chance. I'll have to be waking up at about 6am to do it though because that's when its quiet.

@porkypara, Lol, no offence taken mate. Its the 'bulking phase' of body building, I'm putting on mass, I'm off it now, you'll see my new pic next month now I'm in the 'cutting phase'.

I weight 14stones, that's 90kg or 198.4lbs. Bare in mind I'm pretty tall (6'1 -2 last time I checked).

Thanks again for the advice on how to get into shape before I start boxing, I hope someone can fill me in on how much I have to weight and what I need to be capable of etc.

Cheers.
    in amuture boxing the weights that might apply to you would be middle weight=75kg,light-heavyweight=81kg,heavy weight=91kg,superheavyweight=91kg+,

you need to get down as light as possible to give yourself the best chance.

good luck.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn I need to start losing weight....Any tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going to start jogging saturdays and sundays for about an hour. Will that do?

I also jump rope for about 2 hours a week, will that acomplish my stamina and speed upping goal?

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

concentrate on cardio and some boxing specific training. you dont need to bulk up and cut down for boxing and u dnt need to follow a bodybuilding program, you will build useless muscle that will slow you down. jus get in a boxing gym if the trainers know ur a beginner they will build you up slowly, or they should do, just train and eat clean and your body will find its natural weight, and you will add muscle gradually, and most of all ENJOY!!
    hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi,

I was under the impression you are not starting boxing for two months for a reason - like some other commitments. If you are just wanting to get fit before you are game to start I wouldn't worry about it - just go in. You will usually have plenty of technique to learn before you get into spar so you have time to get fit for it while learning the skills.

As for an hour on Saturday and an hour on Sunday running I think that might be a bit risky. You want to spread it out over the week and give yourself time to recover between runs - rather than kill yourself on the weekend all at once when you haven't been doing much cardio. You'll get better results from 3 or 4 slightly shorter sessions than 2 - 1 hour sessions and be less likely to injure yourself.

Runners who are building endurance generally say you shouldn't build up the distance in your long run by more than 10 % a week. For you at this stage 1 hour might be a bit long and you might hurt yourself particularly if you haven't got the best shoes or maybe have feet that roll in or out too much etc etc. If you build the time up gradually you will reduce your chance of getting injuries and find it easier to gain SPEED!

I get up at 5:30 or 6 am most mornings and it's a lovely time of day!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn I need to start losing weight....Any tips?
    The simplest way is just to eat less.Try and cut down on carbs(but dont cut out compleatly).

A run first thing in the morning.If you are just starting I would go for a half an hour run every other day.

I would also join a boxing gym as soon as you can,you will pick up tips and hints off the trainners and other boxers.But dont worry you wont be forced into boxing until you are ready.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I' can't join a boxing gym yet because I have my final exams coming up, I plan on starting in the summer. I'll jog on saterday's and leave sunday if theres the chance of injury, I'll also eat less.

Cheers, I'll let you know how it goes. I really appreciate all the help, thanks alot.

-Rav

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good Luck with your exams! :-)

If you really feel like you can't fit in any runs during the week I'm sure it can wait until after your exams.

However I found during my studies through school and university that light exercise actually helped me cram for exams.

I was not a very consistant studier during the year so these final cramming weeks were very intense for me and made all the difference.

I find it easier to focus with as little as 30 mins of light exercise and can then tolerate the repetitive memorizing consistently for a few more hours a day.

Still everyone's different so if you don't feel it helps i won't press the idea.

No one can argue that your exams need to come first at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I' can't join a boxing gym yet because I have my final exams coming up, I plan on starting in the summer. I'll jog on saterday's and leave sunday if theres the chance of injury, I'll also eat less.

Cheers, I'll let you know how it goes. I really appreciate all the help, thanks alot.

-Rav
    Dont eat less, eat better. The best way to lose weight is to eat 6 small meals each day. But make sure they are low calorie meals, salads, lots of fruit, veggies, cut out any sodas and drink more water. Eating less will just make you hungry.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rav, you got some good advice from Tybuff and Sharla.

Doing some cardio or a simple bodyweight circuit everyday could help you concentrate when you're studying. Putting it off until the summer isn't a good mindset to start off with and one session a week is a recipe for disaster. Better to do 3/4 short sessions a week (even 15 minutes) starting now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for all the replies

I need some advice on what to do for the jogging, I was thinking maybe I did it 3 times a week, on Monday, and Thursday and Saturday at 6:30am. I think I should be able to manage that, maybe a 30 min running session to start off with and then improve from their, hows that sound?

I'll carry on with the Mark Riptoes body-building program unless anyone thinks its a bad idea, its what BodyBuilding.com recommend for beginners who want to get used to lifts and start strength.

-Cheers

Thread Information