Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does Floyd have to do to change your mind?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What does Floyd have to do to change your mind?

Ok, I have a question for you guys.

One of the constant debates here is over Floyd's level of competition. While just about everyone respects his talent and skills, the anti-Floyd crowd believes he hasn't fought top notch opponents.
    I don't necessarily agree with this, but I can see the logic behind the argument and I can respect those who want to see him step up his level of competition.

My question for you is: Who does he have to fight to get you to stop criticizing his list of opponents?
    For example, if he beats DLH and then fights Mosley, will that be enough? If it's DLH and then Hatton, will that be enough? Does it need to be DLH, Mosley, and Tony "Overrated" Margarito ??
    Will he not have your respect until he fights Cotto?

Tell me exactly who he needs to fight to be able to say he's fought the best out there. Then I'll know where you guys are coming from.

Don't answer, "Floyd needs to start taking risks and fighting hungry young fighters." That doesn't tell me anything. Tell me exactly WHO he needs to fight, and WHEN, in order for him to earn your respect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What does Floyd have to do to change your mind?

Good question.

De La Hoya, Mosley, Cotto would be nice. If he beats Oscar than I see no sense in fighting Hatton.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It'll never be enough for his critics. As soon as Mayweather beats De La Hoya, De La Hoya becomes an old fighter. Mayweather can go up to heavyweight and knock out Samuel Peter and his critics will rush to say Peter was one-dimensional. He'll never would of done that to Wlad. His critics are quick to knock him for avoiding fighting better fighters than he's faced. But they ignored the fact that Hatton and Cotto are the ones who prevented fights from happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc good question
    If I had a chance to interview Floyd's most ardent hater out there, this is the first thing I'd ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    It'll never be enough for his critics. As soon as Mayweather beats De La Hoya, De La Hoya becomes an old fighter. Mayweather can go up to heavyweight and knock out Samuel Peter and his critics will rush to say Peter was one-dimensional. He'll never would of done that to Wlad. His critics are quick to knock him for avoiding fighting better fighters than he's faced. But they ignored the fact that Hatton and Cotto are the ones who prevented fights from happening.
    and cc that's basically what I wanted to say
    There are people who have it set in their mind that they're gonna hate him no matter what.
    Because he'll never be able to beat absolutely everyone out there in this sport where top fighters only fight a couple times a year, haters will always be able to pull some random name out and justify their choice with skewed stats.
    I am so sick of hearing Margarito's name every time Floyds opponents are in question.
    Floyd could beat 80 men with his arms tied behind his back and people will still say, "Oh yeah, well he ducked Margarito!" when Margarito did nothing to prove he deserves a shot at him yet.
    He's just one of those guys that some people will always hate no matter what he does.
    If he goes through ODLH, Mosley, Cotto, MArgarito, Ricky, someone out there will stand up and say, "I don't care. He lost to Castillo!"
    I mean come on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dont forget about mosely

Addicted to_boxing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by meowza
    cc good question
    If I had a chance to interview Floyd's most ardent hater out there, this is the first thing I'd ask them.

There are people who have it set in their mind that they're gonna hate him no matter what.
    Because he'll never be able to beat absolutely everyone out there in this sport where top fighters only fight a couple times a year, haters will always be able to pull some random name out and justify their choice with skewed stats.
    I am so sick of hearing Margarito's name every time Floyds opponents are in question.
    Floyd could beat 80 men with his arms tied behind his back and people will still say, "Oh yeah, well he ducked Margarito!" when Margarito did nothing to prove he deserves a shot at him yet.
    He's just one of those guys that some people will always hate no matter what he does.
    If he goes through ODLH, Mosley, Cotto, MArgarito, Ricky, someone out there will stand up and say, "I don't care. He lost to Castillo!"
    I mean come on
    ODLH, Cotto, then Mosley. In this order. But a question I have is what is to be said of PBF's competition legacy if ODH smokes him out of the ring within 4-5 rounds. Sounds like Naseem the sequel if it ends this way. Cotto has not earned the right to be PBF's finale if PBF turns out to be all he believes that he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my mind...It's not about who...as much as it is about HOW!
    Dominating ,devastating KO wins make the difference!
    Styles make fights and fights make fighters into legends!
    Running, pick, peck, duck , dodge. decision win...does not a hero or fan favorite make..
    Is that clear enough?
    The better the fighters you destroy, the greater the legacy!
    Fight all comers, KO them the f#ck out!
    NO ONE can bad mouth you then...if they do..they are morons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by meowza
    cc good question

I mean come on
    ODLH, Cotto, then Mosley. In this order. But a question I have is what is to be said of PBF's competition legacy if ODH smokes him out of the ring within 4-5 rounds. Sounds like Naseem the sequel if it ends this way. Cotto has not earned the right to be PBF's finale if PBF turns out to be all he believes that he is.
    IF by the time Floyd gets through ODLH and Mosley, and Cotto continues to be as active as his camp claims he'll be, and Cotto continues to live up to the hype that he is in fact the real deal future, he might very well be a legitimate opponent to really cement Floyd's legacy.
    I mean from now until Floyd fights Shane, Cotto may have very well fought 4 or 5 times. And if he gets some names in that mix and beats them, he'd be a real legitimate Floyd opponent.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by landmine950
    Running, pick, peck, duck , dodge. decision win...does not a hero or fan favorite make..
    Is that clear enough?

If that's the case than what the fuck made you a Valuev groupie? And no, those "gag on this" private sessions he gives you don't count as a good enough reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is that clear enough?
    Well see, this argument I can't really agree with. It does matter WHO he fights more than whether he KOs them or not.
    Pernell Whitaker never KO'd a big-name fighter in his entire career. All his big fights were decisions, and he never even came close to KO against any of those opponents. Did that make him any less of a fighter?

Mayweather isn't a KO artist, especially at 147 or 154. He's going to outbox guys. If he won unanimous decisions over DLH, Mosley and Cotto, do those wins not count for much because he didn't KO them?? I can't agree with that at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    Is that clear enough?
    Well see, this argument I can't really agree with. It does matter WHO he fights more than whether he KOs them or not.
    Pernell Whitaker never KO'd a big-name fighter in his entire career. All his big fights were decisions, and he never even came close to KO against any of those opponents. Did that make him any less of a fighter?

Mayweather isn't a KO artist, especially at 147 or 154. He's going to outbox guys. If he won unanimous decisions over DLH, Mosley and Cotto, do those wins not count for much because he didn't KO them?? I can't agree with that at all.
    I didn't say it doesnt matter
    i said its not AS MUCH about who
    did it make Pernell less of a fighter? YES!
    do you think if all those decision wins were huge KO's he wouldn't be more of a legend? of course...I'm talking IF's here.....Ideal situations..
    In my opinion public opinion is swayed more by the HOW than by the WHO
    Tyson's huge Ko string to start his career is a great example!
    It generated HUGE public interest in people who probably couldn't even NAME ONE guy he KO'd!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd will win this easier than most expect.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is that clear enough?

If that's the case than what the F*** made you a Valuev groupie? And no, those "gag on this" private sessions he gives you don't count as a good enough reason.
    Must be those 34 KO's!!!! oh ya and the 46-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    Floyd will win this easier than most expect.
    I hate to agree with you.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion public opinion is swayed more by the HOW than by the WHO
    Tyson's huge Ko string to start his career is a great example!
    It generated HUGE public interest in people who probably couldn't even NAME ONE guy he KO'd!
    Ya, the huge string of KOs led to him becoming one of the most overrated fighters in the history of the sport, and got people to ignore his flaws that would ultimately lead to his undoing against greater fighters such as Holyfield.
    KO's didn't make Tyson a better fighter, just made him appear greater to casual boxing fans.

Thread Information