Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was mike tysons punching power ever measured?.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was mike tysons punching power ever measured?.

PSI is pounds per square inch. So think of a square with one inch long sides, and then the pounds come from the pressure generated from the punch. PSI determines not only the dispersity of the force acting upon the object, but also the magnitude of the force in a certain area. Anyways Marciano wasn't a very big guy, and alot of his power came from quantity of punches, and how small the gloves were. Mike Tyson hits much harder than Marciano.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    PSI is pounds per square inch. So think of a square with one inch long sides, and then the pounds come from the pressure generated from the punch. PSI determines not only the dispersity of the force acting upon the object, but also the magnitude of the force in a certain area. Anyways Marciano wasn't a very big guy, and alot of his power came from quantity of punches, and how small the gloves were. Mike Tyson hits much harder than Marciano.
    thanks for explaining cc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have an Engineering Degree from U of A

PSI is of course pounds of force per square inch.

you can generate 1000' of PSI with a small force if the application area is small..

eg push on a thumbtack.
    the force of your thumb is say 10 pounds but the area of the point of the pin is say 1000 th of a square inch. the result is 10,000 psi

conversely small forces on large areas can create huge forces such as the lift on an airplane wing or the force holding up a inflated stadium roof that might weight 1,000,000 pounds held up by a pressure differential of only a fraction of a PSI.

Its very hard to calculate the force of a punch because of the factors involved
    Generally force is mass times acceleration.
    So if a boxer punches a measured mass the acceleration of the mass can be measured and the punching force determined
    But a heavier puncher maintains the acceleration of the mass longer than a lighter puncher who's kinetic energy is dissipated faster, the body mass behind the punch and muscles that continue to drive it forward MUST BE CONSIDERED.
    it's NOT EASY.

so the methods of punching something that weighs about the same as a mans head and seeing how far it flys (relates to acceleration) are not really accurate.
    Foreman didn't have fast hands but he hit hard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MR T
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockton Bomber
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    I read somewhere a mule can kick and hit at 500 lbs psi and tyson was 300 lbs psi or something like that. Thanks
    I think that's off. Because Tyson can't generate even 1/2 a mule kick's power. And I happen to know that a throughbred racehorse at full stride generates approximately 7000 PSI evry time it's hoof hits the dirt.
    just an educated guess i estimate tysons punching power would be about 1100 psi,if marciano can generate 950 psi ,tyson out weighed the great marciano by 35 LBS and generated tremendous power from his unique boxing stance and compact frame and ivan drago averages 1850 psi,so what ever he hits,he destroyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actaully Tysons punch was measured...By Trevor Berbicks chin.....
    TILT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by landmine950

you can generate 1000' of PSI with a small force if the application area is small..

eg push on a thumbtack.
    the force of your thumb is say 10 pounds but the area of the point of the pin is say 1000 th of a square inch. the result is 10,000 psi

conversely small forces on large areas can create huge forces such as the lift on an airplane wing or the force holding up a inflated stadium roof that might weight 1,000,000 pounds held up by a pressure differential of only a fraction of a PSI.

So if a boxer punches a measured mass the acceleration of the mass can be measured and the punching force determined
    But a heavier puncher maintains the acceleration of the mass longer than a lighter puncher who's kinetic energy is dissipated faster, the body mass behind the punch and muscles that continue to drive it forward MUST BE CONSIDERED.
    it's NOT EASY.

so the methods of punching something that weighs about the same as a mans head and seeing how far it flys (relates to acceleration) are not really accurate.
    The hard part in measuring the force of a punch without using PSI is because its hard to know how much momentum or mass is actually behind the punch. Acceleration changes the force of the punch, but it is at a fixed rate at the exact moment it hits the opponent. Not only the body mass which acts folcrum point, but also the alignment of the arm, and bone density also play a factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can remeber when i was younger some1 once told me that tyson has the power to a crack a coconut (i think it was) with just one punch. So from that they calculated that the coconut has the same density as a 16 year olds head there for if he would cave in a kids head. I no it probably aint true nd has nothing to do with measuring his power but i thought i would say it neways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Quote Originally Posted by landmine950

eg push on a thumbtack.

it's NOT EASY.

The hard part in measuring the force of a punch without using PSI is because its hard to know how much momentum or mass is actually behind the punch. Acceleration changes the force of the punch, but it is at a fixed rate at the exact moment it hits the opponent. Not only the body mass which acts fulcrum point, but also the alignment of the arm, and bone density also play a factor.
    You wouldn't measure the acceleration of the fist,as you rightly stated the fist is at a certain speed at the time of contact.
    The force of the punch would be determined by measuring the acceleration it creates on the object it hits.

ie the stationary head with a certain mass is accelerated backwards, from V=O to some speed over a short time period.
    Determining this acceleration and knowing the mass of the test object being punched allows a crude calculation of the force of the punch. this is how the punching bags in bars etc work.
    A fulcrum could be used to convert the punch force to a lifting force sort of like the strong man circus hammer strength tests. and the acceleration of the known weight which flys up and hit a bell is easily calculated using
    d= 1/2 A * t^2 where A is 9.81 m/s^2

The other things you say are all true. the force must be maintained during the transfer of energy as the collision is not perfectly ellastic ie forces are dissipated in other places such as deformation of the glove (and face) and the movement of the punchers body etc.

Thread Information