Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Diagonal Vs parallel movement

Hi

I have spent the weekend doing a "level one boxing coach course". I don't intend to coach until I've been competing for a few more years at least but I decided to go and do it while it was on offer. I was not out of place there since several fighters with no immediate intention to coach participated in the course.

I was shocked by how much of the practical element many guys there who WERE coaching fighters were NOT familiar with. A few coaches were even mistaken in their understanding of the AIBA rules.

One practical element most of the coaches were unfamiliar with was diagonal movement - stepping with the left foot while punching with the right hand or stepping with the right foot while punching with the left hand.

Backward diagonal movement was punching with left hand and stepping with the left foot or right hand and right foot.

Most coaches in SA were only aware of parallel punches for foreward movement or did not step and punch at the same time at all.

Seeing how much better diagonal movement is for a shorter fighter trying to make up distance is amazing.

How typical of the boxing scene is it to have trainers so unaware of these principles?

Since diagonal movement is a new concept for me aswell what advice would you give for making the most of it? Are there risks I should be aware of while using diagonal movement more so than parallel? Are there some good counters you know of that work well against common diagonal movements?

I will probably not formally coach anyone on these things but a coach from my gym also attended the course and we'd be interested in getting some experienced input RE how to best apply it in our gym. Thanks
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Diagonal Vs parallel movement

Give me a few days Ill put some up
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All good thanks
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

any update on this?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When the wifes got a minute she says she will do it just a couple of things that should help.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is Mrs Scrap, testing upload..

ok...so that didnt work...hmmmmm....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tfDnj4Xwy0

There ya go Mr S...one more to come tomorrow..xx

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First one never come back the same way. 2nd never let the bungie touch the front foot it makes you use the back foot distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc # 310 enjoyed that. Stellar as always !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc thanks for the clips scrap and mrs. scrap good stuff!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A little point the kid whose demonstrating is 6ft 9ins and 245llbs hes one to watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    A little point the kid whose demonstrating is 6ft 9ins and 245llbs hes one to watch
    So this is the bloke you have been talking about? .. He has nice foot work. looks like your doing some great things with him Scrap , ! you take a guy that size and give him proper mobility and balance a coupled with good basics and you have foundation to work with . I wish you guys the best of luck mate !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the footwork drills . I am noticing that having mostly used parallel movement balance is a big part of getting comfortable with diagonal movement.

One more Q (I know I ask too many ) - The state coach advocates using diagonal movement when moving in without heading straight forewards but in a kind of zig zag motion to avoid being hit on the way in. This seems easy enough when throwing the jab and stepping to the right but feels a little dangerous moving back the other way as if you don't move fast enough you run into your opponent's cross (assuming they're orthodox). Would you use diagonal movement in this way? I guess you could leave your left hand in front of your face but I don't see that being a huge barrier against a solid right cross. Any better ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Hi

I have spent the weekend doing a "level one boxing coach course". I don't intend to coach until I've been competing for a few more years at least but I decided to go and do it while it was on offer. I was not out of place there since several fighters with no immediate intention to coach participated in the course.

I was shocked by how much of the practical element many guys there who WERE coaching fighters were NOT familiar with. A few coaches were even mistaken in their understanding of the AIBA rules.

One practical element most of the coaches were unfamiliar with was diagonal movement - stepping with the left foot while punching with the right hand or stepping with the right foot while punching with the left hand.

Backward diagonal movement was punching with left hand and stepping with the left foot or right hand and right foot.

Most coaches in SA were only aware of parallel punches for foreward movement or did not step and punch at the same time at all.

Seeing how much better diagonal movement is for a shorter fighter trying to make up distance is amazing.

How typical of the boxing scene is it to have trainers so unaware of these principles?

Since diagonal movement is a new concept for me aswell what advice would you give for making the most of it? Are there risks I should be aware of while using diagonal movement more so than parallel? Are there some good counters you know of that work well against common diagonal movements?

I will probably not formally coach anyone on these things but a coach from my gym also attended the course and we'd be interested in getting some experienced input RE how to best apply it in our gym. Thanks
    I am a level 2 coach from Canada. I would like to sort out the Diagonal Vs parallel movement that is now in your level 1 course. Are you willing to discuss more?

Thread Information