Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: what is the best thing to start working on?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default what is the best thing to start working on?

when starting to box, what is the best thing to start working on, besides running, lifting, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: what is the best thing to start working on?

I'm assuming you mean technically since your question already excluded all the normal physical conditioning stuff you could do well alone.

I would say in a good gym with a good trainer you will be told how important footwork is. As simple as it may seem it's amazing how many ways you can stuff up your footwork though so I'd join a gym where an experienced boxing coach can correct any mistakes you make.

It can be difficult enough learning good footwork with a trainer - I wouldn't try to learn anything technical without a coach otherwise you'll spend the next year trying to correct bad habits you've ingrained in your behaviour in 2 months of unsupervised training.

Most coaches I've had have agreed that footwork is the key to everything - even if many of them have slightly different ideas as to how it should be done.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Sharly. Can I ask something else? What got you into boxing? I got into boxing by watching Mike Tyson knock the crap out of everyone ever since I was six. Well thanks again. To those of you who view this, I would greatly appreciate giving me any tips. If you can, please. Right now I'm just excercising to stay in shape. Thanks again everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the obvious thing for you to do is to join a boxing gym. Hitting a bag in your basement is plenty of fun, but you're not learning anything and you're folling yourself if you think otherwise.

so join a gym and have fun. it's a blast!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your welcome Buckshot - and to answer your Q I guess the reasons a female might get into boxing initially might be slightly different but I think the reasons we stick with it are probably similar.

I was going to uni across the road from a kickboxing gym. I decided to join just for some exercise, self defence and outlet for study stress. I was a bit used to contact sport from playing grass hockey - which is not meant to be a contact sport but I think leads to more broken bones etc than I see in boxing.

Plus i have two giant older brothers who try to kill each other on a regular basis (one's a judo coach and the other is just a bit psycho) so I guess that helped me understand the attraction to fighting for fun.

I soon became hooked to the technical side of kickboxing and really enjoyed sparring although it was a while before I was allowed to spar. Lucky I didn't initially find a dodgy boxercise place where they teach you punch without actually knowing how to punch themselves - one of my pet hates. Still people who don't box can't necessarily tell the difference.

Although kickboxing gyms are not always a lot better at teaching you to punch either which I learnt the hard way by taking a boxing fight for experience when I'd only trained as a kickboxer and got totally bashed! That was a reality check and I've been straight boxing ever since to learn how to do it properly.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Thread Information