Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default UFC 68 *spoilers*

Couture won by decision. No real surprise imo, Sylvia is an oaf. The big surprise of the night imo is Jason Lambert KO'ing Sobral in round 2. Anyone see this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: UFC 68 *spoilers*

Didn't see it, but Couture winning is a HUGE surprise :P

While I didn't count him out completely, I didn't think he'd take it so handily. Sylvia isn't the greatest looking fighter technically, or the most exciting, but you don't become heavyweight champion by being a slouch. Couture is just that damned good. People said he lost it after losing twice to Liddell, but I think it was just a bad matchup. Liddell has such insane power at his weight and good takedown D that the only person I see beating him consistently is a good boxer. He just seems to eat grapplers alive.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i thought i knew a little bit about mma, but apparently I don't. I'm totally confused. here's why...

TS beat Arlovski twice, and Arlovski, IMO, would destroy Chuck. And Chuck beat down couture in retirment but came back to beat TS.

WTF??

So, who gets a shot at RC? Arlovski again? Crocop?

Was RC just that far out of place fighting at LH? What would happen of chuck came up? You gotta think that he cuts at least 10lb to get to 205, so what would happen if Chuck and RC fought at their natural weight? Would RC eat him up? Is RC just that much more confy fighting at his natural weight?

I don't get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Couture win over Sylvia was spectacular. To be honest, I was shocked. Tim Sylvia is absolutely huge, folks. His standup is good and his power is insane. He stands 6'8 with enough takedown defense to make even the best grapplers look stupid when taking a shot. Look at his last fight with Jeff Monson. Couple that with Randy's difficulty defeating large men in the past and you'll get some idea of how special last night was.
    Randy kept Sylvia guessing all night long. He kept his head moving AT ALL TIMES. He stood up when Slyvia thought he was going to shoot and shot when Slyvia expected him to punch... for 5 straight rounds. His takedowns were textbook perfect. His punches came in combinations. It was a complete domination.
    When Randy knocked Slyvia down with his first punch I think I crapped my pants. Unbelievable. If I were Couture I'd retire with that win right there. That win will go as one of the greatest moments in MMA history....a defining night for the sport. The perfect story was in place before the fight and Randy wrote the perfect ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't comment at the mo, am still speechless and haven't really got a voice after screaming at the TV from 11 oclock last night.

RC an awesome awesome fighter. Totally dominated a guy 50lbs heavier than him. Also his boxing skills werent half bad!!! . At 43 years old what more can you say really. Like Rogan said...guys like him come along once a lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yep, he looked like...(dare I say it, Van ) a boxer. Bobbing and weaving... TS had no idea what to do.. but he made the fatal mistake of not "letting his hands go." He failed miserably at utilizing his jab/reach. TS looked aweful.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munky
    Can't comment at the mo, am still speechless and haven't really got a voice after screaming at the TV from 11 oclock last night.

RC an awesome awesome fighter. Totally dominated a guy 50lbs heavier than him. Also his boxing skills werent half bad!!! . At 43 years old what more can you say really. Like Rogan said...guys like him come along once a lifetime.
    It was an awesome fight for sure.

One thing that suprised me though, as a relative UFC noob is that Randy's record was so bad. I think they said it was 14-8 or something which was the worst record on paper I've ever seen on these UFC shows?

Has he only ever fought the greats? And why so few fights, he's been around for years I thought he would have have had around 60 fights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's a good question.

He has always been a big time fighter, so he probably only ever took big matches, for one, and two, yes, he has only ever fought the greats. It's a bit more rare to see a guy in mma with an impecable or undefeated record. There are so many ways to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of these guys build up 11-0 records fighting bums on local circuits. Couture got in there with the best fighters in the world as soon as he started MMA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ggod point, BB. Diego Sanchez is a good example. Yes, he's good but he had 12 fights prior to his UFC debut.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sylvia got dropped with the first shot

also mat hughes look like shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hughes sucked and so did Rich Frankoin. Genuinely unimpressive. He'll NEVER beat Silva.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Franklin looked good. He has been working on his defense and it shows. I thought he looked good, MacDonald really couldn't do anything. The first round was slow but that was because they were in the clinch most of the time. And then when MacDonald finally did get him down and started letting his punches go he stayed calm and reversed it.

I don't know if he can beat Silva, but he's a lot better equipped to do it now then he was when they fought imo.

Thread Information