Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A Short Puncher??

My trainer is teaching me to be a short puncher, to pretty much punch from my chin in short punches not wide, how effective is this and how can i work this into my elusive style of fighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A Short Puncher??

Punching short? I don't understand what you're saying. Define this short punching.

OldTownBoxing

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Louis was the most effective and devastating short puncher I have ever seen, albeit only on tape obviously.

He threw these fasy, powerful combinations well within arms reach (ie they were short as they didn;t have far to travel)

If they were good enough for the Bomber, I reckon they will be good enough for you??
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am trying to make myself more compact at the moment. More so with my right hand. I have a bad habit of letting it go from about 3 cm from the right side of my head rather than straight from my face.

However, for me I think this probably makes the punch slightly longer because it's more direct and my elbow stays in more.

Are you sure he actually wants you to punch shorter or do you just feel you're not getting the body rotation in?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well for a little background, Im naturally a southpaw but i switched to orthadox and I feel that puncher right off from my chin takes away from my elusivness.Also when i throw my left hook it always goes wide ive tried to adjust it , but it is because i have really long arms.?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hollo, your coach is telling you to throw short punches simply because you're throwing your shots too wide, just like your left hook like you mentioned. A lot of good trainers call right hands sucker punches (particulary leads) because only suckers throw them which is liable to get them countered. How much more easy is it to get countered if you throw your punches wide.

Your coach is right to correct it, because if I was your opponent and I knew you threw any of your punches wide I could see it coming anytime, which then I could drop you. Usually you don't throw your punches wide, becuase like I been saying it telegraphs to your opponent.

If you want elusiveness, work on controlling the range between you and your opponent, always move, circling and keeping your opponent away with jabs and counters, if he takes a step toward you then you shorten up the punches. I've seen fights in boxing and mma in which short punches in combinations was more overwelming than wide shots or flurries could ever accomplish.

If it doesn't feel natural, it's because short straight punches have to be trained, but once you mastered it it'll pay off big time. Fighters like Max Baer, and today's Samuel Peter both who hit like they got refrigerators in their fists were able to do so much more due inpart of throwing short straight punches.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks chris i understand now anyother tips concerning short punching at angles?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just practice punching straight and short for now, also work on short punch counters to head and body. Later on you can work on angles, diagonal stepping, and shifts (e.g. rear-shifts, drop-ships) that will set up different angles. Also make sure you practice short punches when ever you can, shadowboxing, and bagwork, which will get you ready to practice it while you are sparring.

For elusiveness and versatility you should also begin to work on using your shoulder for defense. A trained shoulder can block and parry/deflect punches (works great against a right hand. If you are going to use your shoulder in your tactics make sure you keep your chin tucked and your right hand at your ready so you can either stay on guard and counter. Make sure you don't stick you head out when you roll your shoulder or you're going to get rocked.

If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information