Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Rating Gerry Cooney

Can some of the older wiser heads give me their opinion on the fighting Irishman ?

His record suggests he was quite usefull at the timeof the stoppage against Larry Holmes he wasn't far behind and had 3 points taken off for Low blows .

I don't know why he is considered such a laughing stock ( Otto knocked him out in the Simpsons)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rating Gerry Cooney

I'd rank him right between ATG's Frank Bruno and Yanqui Diaz. LOL

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckling Gordy

Can some of the older wiser heads give me their opinion on the fighting Irishman ?

His record suggests he was quite usefull at the timeof the stoppage against Larry Holmes he wasn't far behind and had 3 points taken off for Low blows .

I don't know why he is considered such a laughing stock ( Otto knocked him out in the Simpsons)
    well i wasnt nowhere near in era of cooney but heres my two cents he done good job on norton good power decent chin but he only ever used his left hardly ever used his right scores suggest cooney was doing quite well against holmes thats not really true he had few good rounds but really he got quite bad beating which you would see in hbo legendary nights after holmes loss he went right down hill not bad fighter in his time but he was bit one dimensional and like i said only ever used his left hardly ever and i mean ever used his right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cooney was pretty good fighter who was managed very poorly. He was totally rushed and he wasn't ready to fight Holmes at that time. The beating and humiliation he took that night killed his career. There was so much hype around that fight, so much pressure, and he couldn't really recover from that. Had he been allowed to develop more slowly and not gotten overhyped, he could have had a much more successful. I'm not sure he could have ever beaten Holmes, though, even with more time, but he had no business fighting Holmes at that point. So he gets a bad rap, as being an overhyped great-white-hope. I guess he kinda was, but he had tons of talent. I feel bad for the guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanE
    Cooney was pretty good fighter who was managed very poorly. He was totally rushed and he wasn't ready to fight Holmes at that time. The beating and humiliation he took that night killed his career. There was so much hype around that fight, so much pressure, and he couldn't really recover from that. Had he been allowed to develop more slowly and not gotten overhyped, he could have had a much more successful. I'm not sure he could have ever beaten Holmes, though, even with more time, but he had no business fighting Holmes at that point. So he gets a bad rap, as being an overhyped great-white-hope. I guess he kinda was, but he had tons of talent. I feel bad for the guy.
    I dont think he was humiliated. He fought his best and showed a lot of heart. He was just overmatched but it wasnt like a Winky-Tito type fight. That was humiliaton. Cooney had heart and power, but i dont know about tons of talent
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nowadays he doesnt get the credit he deserves, good fighter
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Nowadays he doesnt get the credit he deserves, good fighter
    Your right...Gerry would throw a mean Left hook, brilliant puncher in his prime. had good hand speed for big fellow. and could also take a good punch .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cooney was a good fighter that got beaten by an ATG in Holmes...Funny years after Cooney said that they altered their fight plan to last 15 rounds...so instead of being the seek and destroy guy that wacked out Lyle and Norton, Cooney tried to become a boxer and Holmes made him look silly...Honestly looking at Cooney's career he caught Norton, Lyle and Young on their downsides, if you look at his other opponents its as hard to find a recognizable name as it is to find some he beat with a winning record ....Cooney was a B level fighter with great power nothing more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Promoter
    Cooney was a good fighter that got beaten by an ATG in Holmes...Funny years after Cooney said that they altered their fight plan to last 15 rounds...so instead of being the seek and destroy guy that wacked out Lyle and Norton, Cooney tried to become a boxer and Holmes made him look silly...Honestly looking at Cooney's career he caught Norton, Lyle and Young on their downsides, if you look at his other opponents its as hard to find a recognizable name as it is to find some he beat with a winning record ....Cooney was a B level fighter with great power nothing more...
    Its often the way ! I saw him blitz out Kenny Norton and i was impressed with his handspeed like you say Norton was a bit vulnerable but he certainly connected .

I think Holmes was the best heavy of alltime .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanE
    I dont think he was humiliated. He fought his best and showed a lot of heart. He was just overmatched but it wasnt like a Winky-Tito type fight. That was humiliaton. Cooney had heart and power, but i dont know about tons of talent
    Looking back, with 25 years of perspective, it doesn't look as humiliating, but at the time, it was. There was so much pressure and hype around the fight. Lots of racism and race baiting on both sides. To Cooney, it was humiliating, even if it shouldn't have been humilating. Listen, the guy made a good showing against a top 5 alltime Heavyweight. How many people can say that?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At that time Holmes was peaking and it was a good fight, been interesting to see a prime Coonet v Klits wouldnt put my money on Vlad Vitali even money

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

ICB Guest

At that time Holmes was peaking and it was a good fight, been interesting to see a prime Coonet v Klits wouldnt put my money on Vlad Vitali even money
    im big holmes fan imo that was holmes last excellent performance except for beating he done on cobb after but after that he seemed to go bit down hill like against tim witherspoon even though witherspoon performed excellent holmes seemed to me he wasnt as sharp and after that he went down hill

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Cooney was a black guy, he would not have got a title shot at that stage of his development, nor would there be much memory of him as a fighter (sad, but true)

At the time, he was freaking huge - I think he was 6'6" or 6'7", so there was a certain amount of freak show hype around him, and his handlers also managed to tap into that American love for the Irish - and they did market him appropriately. I definitely agree he was carefully matched, overhyped and then fed to Holmes before someone else found him out.

Undoubtedly, Cooney had power, he had a big big left hook and therefore was pretty eye-catching at times. Probably his best win was the Norton fight ........ but Ken did always freeze when he fought big punchers, and he was pretty shot by the time he was in front of Gerry. Technically, poor old Gerry was very limited, he pawed with his jab, was pretty upright and didn't throw his right properly.

Having said that, Gerry himself didn't realise this and was therefore a better fighter than he appeared to be. Also, I don't think anyone could question his heart or his desire - Cooney did not cheat his audience, ever.

So, should Cooney be mentioned in the same breath as Louis, Holmes, Ali etc ....... no, absolutely not. Should be be bracketed with the Walcott's, the Patterson's ....... I don't really think so either although he would always have a punchers chance.

Where does he stand against other actual 'world' champions - Bruce Seldon, Mike Tate, Frank Bruno, John Ruiz, Oleg Maskaev? I think Gerry, limited as he was, would have got past those guys. I think he would beat today's Briggs, and be competitive against Valuev.

A decent honest pro. Hope he is in a happy retirement.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

xFor a big man he had a good jab, but couldnt match Holmes who could. It was the jab that won the fight under Holmes terms other than that good post cc

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

xFor a big man he had a good jab, but couldnt match Holmes who could. It was the jab that won the fight under Holmes terms other than that good post cc
    Fair point about the jab. I agree than not many people ever outjabbed Holmes and a lot of Cooney's fights were blowouts, without jabs ......... but I will accept the point that Gerry could jab when he wanted to (and when he remembered to, apart from transparently setting himself up for the hook).

Cheers mate - have one back.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information