3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default KIMBO TO FIGHT RAY MERCER!!!

http://www.mmanews.com/other/Former-...o-In-June.html
    Former Heavyweight Boxing Champ to Take on Kimbo Slice

(March 30th, New York City ) “Merciless” Ray Mercer, a former WBO heavyweight boxing champ and gold medalist in the 1988 Olympics, will take on no-knuckle boxing and Internet legend Kimbo Slice in a three-round exhibition bout utilizing professional MMA rules at the Cage Fury Fighting Championship 5 show, said matchmaker Gary Marino today. Dubbed “Brawl at the Hall”, CFFC 5 will take place on June 16th at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey .

“I’m very, very excited,” said Marino. “I’ve been working on trying to get Kimbo a fight for the last year. He’s a great draw, and he’s got a huge following for his fights.” Marino added: “Ray Mercer was at the Cage Fury Fighting Championship 3 show and speculated that he’d like to try [MMA], and he called me a couple weeks ago asking me to get him a fight. It’s perfect for both guys, for their style and who they are. Kimbo’s a big banger and so is Mercer.”

Known for their heavy-hands and raw power, this will be the first time either man has fought under full MMA rules �" though Slice purportedly has been training in the sport for some time now at Miami ’s Freestyle Fighting Academy . However, the former boxing champ, who lost his WBO belt to Wladimir Klitschko in 2002 before stepping into the ring for Japan’s K-1 promotion in 2004 and 2005, will likely enter the cage ready to defend the takedown should the need arise. Said Marino: “Ray Mercer told me he has a bit of a wrestling background, and he’s aware Kimbo has been training down in Florida . He’s been talking about MMA for a while now… so he’ll be prepared.”

With this bout, Mercer will become the highest-profile boxer to have taken the MMA plunge. “It’s very, very intriguing. I think it’s a fantastic fight,” said Marino. “Ray Mercer is definitely going to be the hardest hitter Kimbo has ever faced… I think if they both stand in front of each other, someone is definitely going to get knocked out.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: KIMBO TO FIGHT RAY MERCER!!!

Shyt, thats gonna be worth watching!

Good find Sal.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher
    http://www.mmanews.com/other/Former-...o-In-June.html
    Former Heavyweight Boxing Champ to Take on Kimbo Slice

(March 30th, New York City ) “Merciless” Ray Mercer, a former WBO heavyweight boxing champ and gold medalist in the 1988 Olympics, will take on no-knuckle boxing and Internet legend Kimbo Slice in a three-round exhibition bout utilizing professional MMA rules at the Cage Fury Fighting Championship 5 show, said matchmaker Gary Marino today. Dubbed “Brawl at the Hall”, CFFC 5 will take place on June 16th at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey .

“I’m very, very excited,” said Marino. “I’ve been working on trying to get Kimbo a fight for the last year. He’s a great draw, and he’s got a huge following for his fights.” Marino added: “Ray Mercer was at the Cage Fury Fighting Championship 3 show and speculated that he’d like to try [MMA], and he called me a couple weeks ago asking me to get him a fight. It’s perfect for both guys, for their style and who they are. Kimbo’s a big banger and so is Mercer.”

Known for their heavy-hands and raw power, this will be the first time either man has fought under full MMA rules �" though Slice purportedly has been training in the sport for some time now at Miami ’s Freestyle Fighting Academy . However, the former boxing champ, who lost his WBO belt to Wladimir Klitschko in 2002 before stepping into the ring for Japan’s K-1 promotion in 2004 and 2005, will likely enter the cage ready to defend the takedown should the need arise. Said Marino: “Ray Mercer told me he has a bit of a wrestling background, and he’s aware Kimbo has been training down in Florida . He’s been talking about MMA for a while now… so he’ll be prepared.”

With this bout, Mercer will become the highest-profile boxer to have taken the MMA plunge. “It’s very, very intriguing. I think it’s a fantastic fight,” said Marino. “Ray Mercer is definitely going to be the hardest hitter Kimbo has ever faced… I think if they both stand in front of each other, someone is definitely going to get knocked out.”
    wow good stuff nice find

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That I know of Mercer is penciled in for a June 14th date with Hasim Rahman.
    I'm willing to bet this is just a plubicity stunt for the event......

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd love to see Mercer beat the piss out of KImbo.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is gonna be brutal.....I've seen Kimbos street fights and I'm not too sure what to think about that. Did he just not want to be legit boxer? Why did he not try to make a leap into pro boxing?He probably has some infectious disease or is a drug addict/criminal.Those streetfights are illegal has he ever been charged?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    this is supposed to be mma tho

was the rahman mercer fight the one that was replaced by the soto fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK

That fight isn't happening. Mercer put out a statement a few months ago cause he was pissed. He called Rahman a coward. Don't remember why it was canceled but it was on fight news.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What makes me laugh is the other night CutMeMick talked about the Rahman-Mercer fight in a thread with three posts and no one said a word about it being cancelled. Now, when news breaks of Mercer fighting Kimbo everyone knows the Rahman bout was canceled.

If this does happen under the mma format I hope Mercer mauls Kimbo like a pissed off Grizzly Bear.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    What makes me laugh is the other night CutMeMick talked about the Rahman-Mercer fight in a thread with three posts and no one said a word about it being cancelled.

I was about to say that.... You beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    Now, when news breaks of Mercer fighting Kimbo everyone knows the Rahman bout was canceled.
    Thats cause the Mercer-Rahman fight was cancelled right before they announced the Mercer-Kimbo fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant wait to see this, I hope Mercer beats him so bad.

I think he will do aswell
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is gonna be sick, a heavyweight punching with those lil ass gloves...ouch and its Ray Mercer on top of it....Is Kimbo gonna be wearin a helmet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest
    This is gonna be sick, a heavyweight punching with those lil a** gloves...ouch and its Ray Mercer on top of it....Is Kimbo gonna be wearin a helmet?
    But Mercer won't have shoes on, and won't be able to drive off the ground the same way. He had that problem in K-1 as well.

El Kabong Guest

....Kimbo wears shoes whenever he fights Taeth why wouldn't Ray wear shoes....AND Ray fought a kicker in K-1 which is why he got KO'd.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Quote Originally Posted by No Contest
    This is gonna be sick, a heavyweight punching with those lil a** gloves...ouch and its Ray Mercer on top of it....Is Kimbo gonna be wearin a helmet?
    But Mercer won't have shoes on, and won't be able to drive off the ground the same way. He had that problem in K-1 as well.
    in the us, in most mma orginizations you can wear shoes if you want but you cannot kick with your toes wearing shoes, at least thats how it was about 3 years ago, i dont thnk its changed

Thread Information