0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tale of the Tape. Oscar De La Hoya Vs Felix Trinidad

Felix Trinidad Oscar De La Hoya

Career record 42-2 35 KO'S 38-4 30 KO'S

Career Highlights 16 WW Title defenses (record) Gold Medal Winner (92)
    Titles in three weight classes Titles in six weight classes (record)

Common Opponents (UD 12) Hector Camancho (UD 12)
    (TKO Oba Carr (TKO 11)
    (TKO 4) Yori Boy Campus (TKO 7)
    (UD 12) Pernell Whitaker (UD 12)
    (TKO Ricardo Mayorga (TKO 6)
    (TKO 12) Fernando Vargas (TKO 11)
    (lossKo 12)Bernard Hopkins (lossKO 9)
    Trindad winner in head to head match up.

Both had let down's against Hopkins but both of them were undersized and should not have taken fights in that weight class. Trindad did the bulk of the work on common opponents defeating Campus, Carr, and Vargas while still undefeated. He also took on Mayorga when he was still in his prime. What's strange to me is that niether of these phenoms were able to KO Camancho. I felt that Tito was the better athlete between the two and Oscar was better skilled due to better trainer's. Wish we could have had a trilogy with these two great fighters. Very small chance they will ever meet in the square circle again. Sound off on who impressed you more.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Tale of the Tape. Oscar De La Hoya Vs Felix Trinidad

Quote Originally Posted by brazilianbomber

(TKO Oba Carr (TKO 11)

Both had let down's against Hopkins but both of them were undersized and should not have taken fights in that weight class. Trindad did the bulk of the work on common opponents defeating Campus, Carr, and Vargas while still undefeated. He also took on Mayorga when he was still in his prime. What's strange to me is that niether of these phenoms were able to KO Camancho. I felt that Tito was the better athlete between the two and Oscar was better skilled due to better trainer's. Wish we could have had a trilogy with these two great fighters. Very small chance they will ever meet in the square circle again. Sound off on who impressed you more.

Never really liked Tito but i respect him as boxer and damn good one he was i feel Oscar fought better opponents and achieved slighty more and beat few more bigger names so id give edge to Oscar

and i watched Hopkins vs Tito today what a great boxing exhibition by Hopkins he even mixed it up in later rounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=ICE COLD BOXING ]

(TKO Oba Carr (TKO 11)

Never really liked Tito but i respect him as boxer and damn good one he was i feel Oscar fought better opponents and achieved slighty more and beat few more bigger names so id give edge to Oscar

and i watched Hopkins vs Tito today what a great boxing exhibition by Hopkins he even mixed it up in later rounds
    [/quote

That fight really hurt me. Trinidad was my favorite fighter behind Sweet Pea and I was shocked when he left 154 so quick to pursue Roy Jones. He got over confident with his punching power and tried to become an over achiever, at least we can say he KO'D a bigger fighter in Joppy. Felt he performed better at 160 than Oscar. But I would have to see a rematch to see who was the better package. We could have had it but both fighter's have huge ego's so it never happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

(TKO Oba Carr (TKO 11)

That fight really hurt me. Trinidad was my favorite fighter behind Sweet Pea and I was shocked when he left 154 so quick to pursue Roy Jones. He got over confident with his punching power and tried to become an over achiever, at least we can say he KO'D a bigger fighter in Joppy. Felt he performed better at 160 than Oscar. But I would have to see a rematch to see who was the better package. We could have had it but both fighter's have huge ego's so it never happened.

ICB Guest

It would of been hard for any fighter to beat Tito at his proper weight class he had good punching power but sometimes i feel he was bit one dimensional but he still was great boxer who fought all comers that should of never moved up to 160

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would of been hard for any fighter to beat Tito at his proper weight class he had good punching power but sometimes i feel he was bit one dimensional but he still was great boxer who fought all comers that should of never moved up to 160
    The only mistake Tito made was moving up to a weight class he had no business going to,giving Hopkins arguably the biggest win in his long career. Had Tito stayed at 154, he would still be a champion today,he would KTFO most of the guys there now. He may very well be classified as 1 dimensional but when you have mastered that dimension to the extent which he did,there's not much to complain about.

Tito had a wonder shotgun like jab(when he chose to use it) which shook opponents,his left hook was as good as Oscar's and his right was awesome too. He had KO power in both hands and he had neat little side to side movement which he used intelligently. He fought most of the guys Oscar fought BEFORE Oscar and either gave them career threatening beatings or at least damaged them! His record speaks for itself,littered with champions,past and present,hall of famers and all time greats. A wonderful fighter,under rated by some fans but loved by those who watched him.

I've never seen such a hardcore following for a fighter in a long long time! When he came out,the Mayorga entrance in particular,left hairs standing from the crowd reaction!! People,even now,still ask for Tito to come back etc etc but I'm glad he doesn't,he's left his legacy,nothing left to prove.

So yeah,I like Tito more than Oscar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    The only mistake Tito made was moving up to a weight class he had no business going to,giving Hopkins arguably the biggest win in his long career. Had Tito stayed at 154, he would still be a champion today,he would KTFO most of the guys there now. He may very well be classified as 1 dimensional but when you have mastered that dimension to the extent which he did,there's not much to complain about.

Tito had a wonder shotgun like jab(when he chose to use it) which shook opponents,his left hook was as good as Oscar's and his right was awesome too. He had KO power in both hands and he had neat little side to side movement which he used intelligently. He fought most of the guys Oscar fought BEFORE Oscar and either gave them career threatening beatings or at least damaged them! His record speaks for itself,littered with champions,past and present,hall of famers and all time greats. A wonderful fighter,under rated by some fans but loved by those who watched him.

I've never seen such a hardcore following for a fighter in a long long time! When he came out,the Mayorga entrance in particular,left hairs standing from the crowd reaction!! People,even now,still ask for Tito to come back etc etc but I'm glad he doesn't,he's left his legacy,nothing left to prove.

So yeah,I like Tito more than Oscar.

Very well translated. CC. I was watching his old fights on youtube today (Vargas, Joppy, Whitaker) and as I transitioned into watching the Tyson fights I saw alot of similiaries such as head movement and stalking thier opponents. Those two were always aggressive and alway's took the fight too you. Trinidad was baby Tyson but what made me like him so much was that he was very thin throughout his early career and I could not understand where he got all that power. I was skinny in my young day's (fat and grotesque now) so he became my hero, he is an all time great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC back bro. I don't brandish around All Time Great all that often,especially on fighters from this generation but Tito certainly is one. I think he is so under rated by some fans! Seriously,check his resume,so many good names and 16 defences is astounding! I agree,when you are a fighter with power,fans take a liking to you! Nothing beats a good old 2 fisted fighting machine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...what about the illegal handwraps?
    it seems tito didn't want to fight much after the "source" of his "power" was discovered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pete shonan
    it seems tito didn't want to fight much after the "source" of his "power" was discovered.

This is a statement made of ignorance and hate and it does not warrant a response of anykind

ICB Guest

Didn't have anything to do with that he got one sided beating off Wright its hard for fighter to comeback from that and it would of been hard to have moved back down again i think retirement was best thing for him i mean he still has great legacy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree coming from Puerto Rico myself, Trinidad was like a "god" to us over there. After his retirement we all understood that it needed to be done and that he had nothing else to prove and that he will always be a legend to us!!

ummm that night was so amazing, i remember after the fight decision was called in favor of Trinidad, everyone left their homes and went to the town plaza where parties broke out with people drinking, and burnouts, and music well it was so big that school was out on the following Monday because it was almost like a holiday that he had won!!

ummm memories
    Hidden Content It's Good To Be Back!! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a statement made of ignorance and hate and it does not warrant a response of anykind
    thanks for your response... i don't hate tito and i don't think talking about something as serious as illegal handwraps is ignorance. pretending that there is no controversy surrounding the wrapping of his hands, however is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's a little exerpt Majesty took from that article everyone's been posting about

Cherifi Better Watch Tito's Hand Wraps
    Boxingtalk Exclusive by Ron Heard

On September 29, 2001 before the fight between Bernard Hopkins and Felix Trinidad, team Hopkins sent a representative from their team to over-see Tito's hands being wrapped. When their representative arrived he was shocked to see that Tito's left hand was already wrapped, signed off and the boxing glove was on. In an exclusive interview Bernard Hopkins told Boxingtalk, "I sent my team in there to watch Trinidad wrap his hands and when they got there
    Trinidad's left hand was already wrapped and he had his boxing glove on. So my trainer, Bouie Fisher who has been doing this stuff for a long time went over there to straighten it up. The thing is Trinidad has been getting away with doing this for a long time. I know for a fact that he has done it at least one other fight. They are used to being able to do whatever they want and get away with it. That is how it is in boxing."
    First of all, you have to wonder who this commissioner was that let Don Felix wrap Tito's hand without anyone from the Hopkins camp being there. Hopkins said, "not only did he let him wrap the hands without us being there, but he was in there joking and laughing and talking Spanish with the Trinidads like they were best friends. When Bouie told them that he would have to take it off and rewrap it in front of someone fron their camp, he said "NO," its
    already wrapped and it's too close to time for the fight to start. Bouie had to go to the head commissioner before they were made to rewrap his hands."
    Luckily for Hopkins, Bouie Fisher is old school and he was not going to let this fight go on with Tito having wrapped his left hand and nobody from his camp watching it. "Bouie kept telling them, either we do this by the book or we don't do it all," said Hopkins.
    It didn't make since to Fisher why the Trinidad's were so insistent on not rewrapping the hand because obviously they knew the rules. They have been in enough of these big fights to know that a representative from the other camp is allowed to be in the room while they are wrapping Tito's hand. Even if the New York Commission's Representative didn't know any better, the Trinidads definitely did. The Trinidads went so far as to actually say, "If we have to rewrap Tito's hand then there will be no fight." Why was this left hand wrapping so important to the Trinidads?
    Finally, after the head commissioner became involved the Trinidads were told to either rewrap the left hand or the fight was off. After much argument, they finally agreed to rewrap the hand with a member from the Hopkins team present.
    Tito was made to remove his glove and the prior wrapping in front of Hopkins representative Naazim Richardson who noticed that the wrap looked very thick and when he felt it he says it was as hard as a rock. All the sudden it became very clear why they had tried to get away with wrapping the left hand without anyone from the Hopkins camp watching Shocked and also why they didn't want to remove it and rewrap the hand.
    Don Felix began to rewrap the hand again, but Richardson noticed that Don Felix was putting layers of tape and then gauze, tape and then gauze Shocked, tape and then gauze Shocked which is not in accordance with NYSAC rules. Shocked The rules stipulate tape cannot be applied directly over the knuckles, and that repeating the process several times.
    In an interview with Bernard Fernandez of Philly.com, Hopkins said, "If you put on tape, then gauze, then tape, then gauze, it's like a [plaster] cast. It's like being hit with a baseball bat. I'm giving out some secrets here, but you can dip your hands in ice water and that tape will, like, marinate and become harder. But it's only cheating if you get caught. Personally, I think Vargas' and Reid's people dropped the ball. Naazim did a brilliant job in spotting what [Felix Trinidad Sr.] was doing with the wraps."
    Don Felix was also putting tape on the skin and over the knuckles, both of which are not in accordance with NYSAC rules. New York's head commissioner put his foot down and made Don Felix wrap in strict accordance to the rules.
    Don Felix has insisted in several interviews that, "I have always wrapped Tito's hands this way Shocked Shocked Shocked and nobody else has ever said anything."
    That’s like saying, I beat my wife all the time and I've never got in trouble for it before. Now, all the sudden you guys want to make a big deal out this. That's just not right, I'm a respectable man.
    In a recent interview of Don Felix by Gerardo M. Avila-Planas and David Mesqueue of Fightnews, Don Felix was asked, "Do you think that the Hopkins camp did it (made them rewrap Tito's hand) to get to you psychologically?" and he answered, "Well, it got to us a little because, since I couldn’t place the tape that I usually place on Tito’s hand...I had to add some more gauze...This tends to take away some of the power in the punch." Shocked Shocked Shocked
    There are a couple really important things in this statement by Don Felix.
    First, he admits that the New York Commission wouldn't allow him to wrap the hands like he Shocked Shocked ALWAYS DOES Shocked Shocked. There can only be one reason for him not being allowed to wrap the hands that way - it was illegal. Therefore, if that is how he ALWAYS wrapped Tito's hands in the past, the assumption that he always wrapped illegally is not far-fetched. But this time he was forced to wrap the hands in strict accordance to NYSAC rules.
    Second, he admits that not being able to use the layers and to put the tape on the skin and over the knuckles, Shocked Shocked Shocked "TENDS TO TAKE AWAY SOME OF THE POWER IN THE PUNCH." Shocked Shocked So he admits that with the illegal wrapping Tito is able to hit harder. Shocked Shocked
    Finally, he also admits, that not only does the illegal wrap allow Tito to hit harder, but it PREVENTS TITO'S HANDS FROM OPENING ON IMPACT" which actually provides more protection for his hand. So while most fighters have to worry about hitting a fighter on the top of the head in fear of hurting their hands, Tito's hands have extra power and extra protection from illegal hand wraps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

(TKO Oba Carr (TKO 11)

I thought this was Oscar's finest moment! Forget the last three rounds ( The only rounds Tito won) Trinidad had his ears boxed off that night and the decision is in the worst three of the 90's and in the top ten of all time! I think Trinidad was embarrassed getting the decision and would have been more so in a rematch!

Thread Information