Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calzaghe. Lets put this into perspective.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe. Lets put this into perspective.

Okay so lets say Warren does stay true to his word and makes an offer to Cal & Kes that is too hard to resist.
    Lets say the fight happens.
    Lets say Calzaghe wins...

"Calzaghe wins!"

How should Joe be viewed as a fighter and a champion
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe. Lets put this into perspective.

I believe he should be regarded as an extremely good fighter. He fought the best there was to offer within his division and did it over a heck of a lot of defences and was still there at the end. That deserves respect.

If Calzaghe could beat Kessler then I would like to see 2 decent final fights and for me that is his legacy sorted. He would have done all that he should have....

Ive a feeling that wouldnt be enough for certain others though.

Screw them though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    I believe he should be regarded as an extremely good fighter. He fought the best there was to offer within his division and did it over a heck of a lot of defences and was still there at the end. That deserves respect.

If Calzaghe could beat Kessler then I would like to see 2 decent final fights and for me that is his legacy sorted. He would have done all that he should have....

Ive a feeling that wouldnt be enough for certain others though.

Screw them though!
    i would still like to see joe fight taylor in the states after kessler, then one last bout in the uk at LH and call it a day, would be a hell of a way to leave boxing imo

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I pretty much agree that if Calzaghe fights and beats Kessler, he wouldn't "need" more than two fights as his send off.

Im not too fussed about Jermaine Talyor in anyway so id rather see Joe move up and have a ravin domestic with Woods.

Maybe then move on to a young blood like Dawson just for the fun of it

That would be super
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie
    I pretty much agree that if Calzaghe fights and beats Kessler, he wouldn't "need" more than two fights as his send off.

Im not too fussed about Jermaine Talyor in anyway so id rather see Joe move up and have a ravin domestic with Woods.

That would be super
    Two big things people have slagged calzaghe of is not fighting 'top fighters' and only fighting at home (even tho most top americans these days don't leave the states lol)

So When calzaghe fights kessler he would of provem imo that he has fought the best the SMW has had to offer who had the balls to step in the ring with him, he beats kessler he beats a top name imo, he may not be top 10 p4p but he is top 20 imo, calzaghe is top 10 and quite afew people think they are very closed matched or even kessler wins... so he has to be close to the top 10.

He goes to the states and beats taylor - will shut people up who claim he is a home town boy, fuck taylor is ranked sumin like 4 in the p4p list and a massive Mw, alway said it is hard for him to make MW so 8 pounds higher should be NOTHING to him, be a another top name in the states!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That would be super
    Two more decent fights against well known opposition would be ideal...If Calzaghe breaks Kessler then we all know where that will be heading...

A little more to back it up once and for all would be ideal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He will be viewed as a champ with 20 + defences and a handful of good guys in that 20
    to many easy fights to be a great

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kessler is necessary but not sufficient to make him HOF-worthy. He needs to beat Kessler and then beat one out of Winky, B-Hop and Taylor to really have a claim at it. If he goes out w/o fighting one of those three, I think it's pretty unforgivable. (though I suppose I could forgive him if he took huge $$ for an RJJ fight, though it wouldn't advance Joe's legacy an inch since RJJ is definitively at least 5 years past it)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by althetruthhindley
    He will be viewed as a champ with 20 + defences and a handful of good guys in that 20
    to many easy fights to be a great
    Well BHop beat Oscar and Trinidad.... He then moved up two weight classes and beat Tarver.

Larry Holmes beat Norton & Shavers.... He then moved nine weight classes and beat Butterbean

So IMO a strong argument can be made for Clazaghe to be regarded as great (only if he beats Kessler).

Quote Originally Posted by shza
    Kessler is necessary but not sufficient to make him HOF-worthy. He needs to beat Kessler and then beat one out of Winky, B-Hop and Taylor to really have a claim at it. If he goes out w/o fighting one of those three, I think it's pretty unforgivable. (though I suppose I could forgive him if he took huge $$ for an RJJ fight, though it wouldn't advance Joe's legacy an inch since RJJ is definitively at least 5 years past it)
    Why? Winky would be out of his depth at 168, BHop is as much to blame as Calzaghe for not making fights in the past and IMO Taylor wont be widely regarded as a great champion when he retires.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Way off here SHZA,I don't think JC needs to fight one of those guys you mentioned although it would preferable,but if he beats Kessler,he would be beating a very very dangerous and proven fighter and it would be a close fight imo. I alreay rate JC highly,a win over Kessler would cement his legacy in the division.

If they were to fight,I'd FULLY expect JC to batter Winky and B Hop,his style would give them HUGE problems! Too much speed and too high a work rate imo for either of them especially B Hop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme

That would be super
    Two big things people have slagged calzaghe of is not fighting 'top fighters' and only fighting at home (even tho most top americans these days don't leave the states lol)

So When calzaghe fights kessler he would of provem imo that he has fought the best the SMW has had to offer who had the balls to step in the ring with him, he beats kessler he beats a top name imo, he may not be top 10 p4p but he is top 20 imo, calzaghe is top 10 and quite afew people think they are very closed matched or even kessler wins... so he has to be close to the top 10.

He goes to the states and beats taylor - will shut people up who claim he is a home town boy, F*** taylor is ranked sumin like 4 in the p4p list and a massive Mw, alway said it is hard for him to make MW so 8 pounds higher should be NOTHING to him, be a another top name in the states!
    Let me say this…if Calzaghe beats Kessler then he legacy is sealed, IWO.

People are far FAR too harsh on Calzaghe’s record & his abilities. While I am disgusted at his choice of opposition after beating the dogshit outta Lacy…his record prior is much more sound than many would credit it.

The men that he defeated were game fighters…just because they weren’t known top billers doesn’t make it wrong. Calzaghe has done the same thing that fighters like Jones jr & Hopkins & Mayweather jr have done…& that’s stayed where the money is at & not needed to travel for his matches.

As far as who he needs to face? I still say no one.

No one other than either Hopkins, Jones jr, Mundine, Johnson, or maybe Woods…not Dawson though.

We can’t expect Joe to just keep on proving himself at this stage of his career. He’s gone through some tuff fights & he’s gutted out some wins & he continuously injures his hands…let the man have his day & move on.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess Calzaghe beating Kessler has the same sort of legacy sealing qualities as a Hatton win over Castillo, beating the top guy in the division (Tszyu/Lacy) then beating the other best fighter in the division (Kessler/Castillo). All time great status comes if Hatton/Calzaghe then beat a multi-weight kingpin at a higher weight class (B-Hop/PBF/ODLH). Is it likely to happen.... NO.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    I guess Calzaghe beating Kessler has the same sort of legacy sealing qualities as a Hatton win over Castillo, beating the top guy in the division (Tszyu/Lacy) then beating the other best fighter in the division (Kessler/Castillo). All time great status comes if Hatton/Calzaghe then beat a multi-weight kingpin at a higher weight class (B-Hop/PBF/ODLH). Is it likely to happen.... NO.
    You know...it's all in how you see it.

I usually like to see a fighter clean out the class in his division instead of weight jumping throuhg the hoops.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

I usually like to see a fighter clean out the class in his division instead of weight jumping throuhg the hoops.
    I guess one man's fillet mignon is another man's rump roast.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

I guess one man's fillet mignon is another man's rump roast.
    Rump roast?

RUMP ROAST?!?!?!

What is that...some kinda metaphor for kissing your ass?!?! :P

Heh heh heh.

Thread Information