Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: why didnt Tyson let his hands go against Lewis?????

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default why didnt Tyson let his hands go against Lewis?????

I mean i have that fight on tape and saw it many times. Ye lewis kicked his ass but part of the reason was because tyson wasnt really fighting back. even his corner told him mike u have 2 hands. let them go, tyson just didnt let his hands go after round 1. and he won round 1 too. I mean what was wrong with him an animal like mike tyson, KO artist, didnt let his hands go against lennox lewis. He should've bobbed and weaved and tryed to KO lewis at least. he just stood there and took a beating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: why didnt Tyson let his hands go against Lewis?????

well ill giv my opinion one of 3 reasons
    1hes old
    2he got paid to take the fall (we know tyson would for money)
    3does anti anger pills got to him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    well ill giv my opinion one of 3 reasons
    1hes old
    2he got paid to take the fall (we know tyson would for money)
    3does anti anger pills got to him
    well i dunno i think a prime tyson would rip lewis in half

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^ cc so do i buut he was far from prime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

because he was afraid to get KTFO he was too old and slow.prime Tyson would of gone all out

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson was shot. Post jail he was not the same and only had success against relatively easy pickings. That was a shadow of Tyson and not the fighter that dominated the 80's...

Of course Danny Williams and McBride followed the Lewis fight....he couldnt even hang with journeymen after....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The guy went to Hawaii and took a 6 week vacation instead of six weeks of training. He stepped into the ring a fat bastard only looking to collect $17.5 mil instead of trying to put up a fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was old and knew Lewis was good enough to counter him so he was afraid to let go. Plus at that point in his career he did not have the head movement that he was known for when he first won the titles. Basically he was a shadow of himself.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson was shot his reflexes gone hisheart was long gone !!

Tyson in that fight had one chance and that was to set upon Lewis from the start and hopefully be able to bull him onto the ropes the way Rahman did and find some power .

He tried that in the 1st round but soon as Lewis found his range and timing and got that beautifull jab going it was game over

Lewis kept him off balance with the jab and threatening right hand Tyson apart from not having the reflexes nor the state of mind or belief had just completely lost his legs also .

Tyson spent so long eating the jab and having to think about what use to come naturally

I think Lewis never lived up to expectation he was so frustrating his conditioning was always suspect i think he would always have had the style to give even a prime Tyson trouble .

Tyson in his prime was such poetry in motion i dont think you could ever see better footwork from aheavyweight the way he closed that gap and could slip under a jab was brilliant and proof that he was more than just the wild slugger .

Douglas would have given a prime Tyson trouble maybe not beaten but his jab was also a prime weapon and thats what you needed against MT even then though it wasnt enough

Tyson was a supreme fighting machine before Jail

Afterwards he was dangerous but not the same .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pro BOXER18
    I mean i have that fight on tape and saw it many times. Ye lewis kicked his a** but part of the reason was because tyson wasnt really fighting back. even his corner told him mike u have 2 hands. let them go, tyson just didnt let his hands go after round 1. and he won round 1 too. I mean what was wrong with him an animal like mike tyson, KO artist, didnt let his hands go against lennox lewis. He should've bobbed and weaved and tryed to KO lewis at least. he just stood there and took a beating

poor training and apathy,it was obvious.When Tyson was 24 he would have bobbed and weaved till he got inside then he would have delivered a hard right under the left ribs and when lennox tried to cover up his mid section Tyson would ko him with a very fast right hook to the jaw,after all that was Tyson's signature move.
    WHO NEXT ?Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was thinking the same thing on the night why won't he just go for broke let his hands go if he catches him he will go but i think he was out of condition he was 17 stone 1lb (239lbs) for Nielson then he was meant to have trained hard for lewis and comes in at 16 stone 10lb (234lbs) only a 5 pound loss yet for Etienne he weighs in at 16 stone 1lb (225lbs) Tysons best fighting weight was 220lbs he was older so perhaps 224lbs ish but nomore he was only 5ft 11inch had he come in around 16 stone (224lbs) in good shape he would have done better he lasted 8 rounds in that shape i think he went into the fight defeated and i don't think his pills help he has to be taken off at right time perhaps they got it wrong so he was still abit subdued

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pro BOXER18
    I mean i have that fight on tape and saw it many times. Ye lewis kicked his a** but part of the reason was because tyson wasnt really fighting back. even his corner told him mike u have 2 hands. let them go, tyson just didnt let his hands go after round 1. and he won round 1 too. I mean what was wrong with him an animal like mike tyson, KO artist, didnt let his hands go against lennox lewis. He should've bobbed and weaved and tryed to KO lewis at least. he just stood there and took a beating
    In the 1st round he did let his hands go . He started the fight like any other but Lewis had his number that night . Once he settled worked the jab Mike became hesitant . He could no longer afford to rush in especially after he felt Lewis ' right hand . By round 4 his ambition had been taken from him and he was on a survival mission . In fairness he took his bumps that night . He didn look for a way out like he did vs Evander the 2nd time. Mike was badly beaten up , he was cut , marked up , swollen up , on the deck and bleeding badly. Never seen him like that before or since that fight

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he took his beating like a man and earned respect. if he had gotten a rematch, i wonder if he could ov done something

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1
    he took his beating like a man and earned respect. if he had gotten a rematch, i wonder if he could ov done something
    What could he have done different rematch would of made no difference he was to far gone as that proved when after Lewis fight he lost to Danny Williams and Kevin McBride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1
    in a word no. lewis would have beat him again had they met

Thread Information