Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can boxing fans take back the sport from the promoters?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How can boxing fans take back the sport from the promoters?

Or maybe the question should be: "CAN the boxing fans take back the sport from the promoters?"

Honestly, aren't we all sick of the same old tired story? Champ 1 defends against bums in one organization.......... Champ 2 defends against other bums in another organization........... people want Champ 1 and Champ 2 to meet............ Promoter 1 and Promoter 2 begin their frustrating, greedy posturing.............. Champ 1 and Champ 2 insist they want to meet in the ring............. time goes by and nothing happens.............. fight is finally signed a year or two later than it should have............... the hype builds to unimaginable heights (PBF-DLH anyone?)................ fight eventually comes off, usually not living up to the hype.

Sometimes it's by controversial decision, and it's back to Square 1 all over again.

You'd think there'd be a way for us fans to make a change in the way the sport is run these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How can boxing fans take back the sport from the promoters?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    Or maybe the question should be: "CAN the boxing fans take back the sport from the promoters?"

Honestly, aren't we all sick of the same old tired story? Champ 1 defends against bums in one organization.......... Champ 2 defends against other bums in another organization........... people want Champ 1 and Champ 2 to meet............ Promoter 1 and Promoter 2 begin their frustrating, greedy posturing.............. Champ 1 and Champ 2 insist they want to meet in the ring............. time goes by and nothing happens.............. fight is finally signed a year or two later than it should have............... the hype builds to unimaginable heights (PBF-DLH anyone?)................ fight eventually comes off, usually not living up to the hype.

Sometimes it's by controversial decision, and it's back to Square 1 all over again.

You'd think there'd be a way for us fans to make a change in the way the sport is run these days.
    simple...don't go to the fights you think are sub-par.......and don't buy the PPV's unless there is a stellar card all around.....demand the best to fight the best....don't support them unless they follow through with this....I won't pay for a fight unless I believe it to be worthy...ODLH-PBF is but Oleg-Peter isn't...or any fight from here on in that involves Joe C and Kessler isn't his opponent....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Simple in theory. But fact is, people are so starved for good boxing (ala boxing's Golden Age in the 70's and 80's) that they'll watch just about anything. No.... there should be something else us boxing fans can do to take the sport back from the greedy, blood-sucking promoters that control it now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    Simple in theory. But fact is, people are so starved for good boxing (ala boxing's Golden Age in the 70's and 80's) that they'll watch just about anything.
    I agree with this statement.

Also, it's hard individually for us to take a stand. If we all lived in a single area it would be easy to boycott, but when we are spread out so thin over the entire globe it's hard to stand as one.
    Here I sit on the east coast of the United States twidling my thumbs and wondering if CutMeMick out on the west coast is breaking the boycott and watching the fight without me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dont think it can be done right now.
    First off there isnt a really amazingly compelling fighter out there who can write their own ticket under the age of 30.So the promoters still hold a position of"I can make you,or I can break you"
    Secondly there isnt a unniversaly recognized title,that could force challenges and force promoters to make deals with the fighters.Rather then one promoter,just working it out with another behind closed doors. As long as the WBC is riding in Don Kings hip pocket,dont expect that to change any time soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a BUSINESS...promoters are all trying to set up megafights for their fighters.This is the reason why you dont always see the champs battling it out.As for fights not living up to the hype...its simple...dont buy into it.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of the many posts on Promoters, this one exposes the greatest problem: we fans fail to account the shady birth of boxing.

One article I read worded it perfectly

"We simply have no conception of the atmosphere of turn-of-the-century prize fighting – the low dives where the fights took place, the stench of unwashed bodies, the danger of toughs and knuckleduster wielders, pickpockets, drunks. Was it worth your life to attend a fight – you never got the seat your ticket called for an of course."

I agree with history that one person in particular changed all this. Another promoter, but one who expanded the fanbase beyond crooks underworld heathens.
    Tex RIckard.
    Gambler, Gold chaser and friend of the Wild West cowboy legend Wyatt Earp.

Street savvy and business minded. ..brought boxing to the newly renovated Madison Square Garden.
    Then add on technology aka radio...Tex broadcasts the first match.

IMO..Tex took an underworld sport where throwing fights and inhouse mismatches were common place into a legitimate sport.

And IMO the 1st promoter to rub shoulders with politicians ... by promoting a charity boxing match in the Garden for one Anne Morgan, the sister of J.P. Morgan.

Perfect fight was the smooth style of Benny Leonard against Richie Mitchell. literally taking away the fight game from the shadowy world giving birth to boxing fans!
    Jack Dempsey took Tex's promoting to another level.

End result from time to time the shadowy world of promoters try to revive their fixed fight game.
    Fortunately we have a few true athletes that go against the grain and choose to fight for their fans.
    At least. IMO
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is doing it for the fans though?

Spence sounds like he wants to, Kovalev seems to be doing things right. But Spence could do like the rest once he gets a belt. Kovalev seems like the only guy that has made and continues to make the right fights. Who am I missing?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Spence sounds like he wants to, Kovalev seems to be doing things right. But Spence could do like the rest once he gets a belt. Kovalev seems like the only guy that has made and continues to make the right fights. Who am I missing?
    Chocolatito maybe?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First thought is ppv of course. But I can sit out a ppv even on a decent main event and as long as they can pass blatant mismatches and 'mega fights' well beyond the expiration date off for 80-100 bucks it won't make a dent. After Mayweather v Manny I was really surprised at the "buying" of it by casual fans while we knew both were off and event lost luster. Frankly I felt like I was in on some inside joke . To me those are the focus problem and what steals from some under the radar talents and otherwise quality matches. Yes..the Caneloism. I don't want just huge names in huge fights. Prospects in competitive on paper face offs early are often equally enjoyable. It simply comes down to match ups for me. We all know if you watch this sport long enough it's odd how we just know we're about to be screwed before the first drink is even poured but save for the judges, we can still call BS on the bad while digging for the good.

What exactly is the criteria for a promoters license btw

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Chocolatito maybe?
    I love the guys ability but last year his 3 opponents had 41 losses. That's not setting the world on fire.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The internet may be the catalyst for change. Which is why governments keep trying to structure, control, bottle and slap a label on it.

Don't like a fight. Don't buy the tickets/ PPV. Watch a feed, and then try to catch it online instead of the hbo/sho subscriptions. The important thing is to kill their numbers. This has to be done in stages I believe. Nothing can be done about the casuals accept to balance the hype against the fighters with realistic down play. That voice can also be spread via internet. I use to hate those unofficial sports blogger editorial news outlets like bleacher report, but i think they can be used as a useful tool with the right writers at the helm.

Collectively our voices represent the boxing authority, but noone really sees it because we tell it to each other. We don't get many casuals in here because we tell the truth. Notice how all the flame fanners and a$$ kissers articles are the ones that get the hits, so they (reporters/writers) in turn write fanboy pieces to get more hits. I saw this first hand when i wrote for a hockey blog and would stare blankly in disbelief like "why the hell is no one else highlighting the obvious problems this team is having?" its because casuals love to remain hopeful, buy the hype and believe they are about to be part of something historic. I built a loyal following and kind caused a turn in that other writers in a rush to get hits started badmouthing the team in an effort to go against the grain..and duplicate my truthful articles with simple tirades.

Going back to the stages thing. The objective right now is not to go from what we have... to directly confronting the promoters. Highlight the good undercard fights, the new players in a division, the amazing feats... That middle step were shooting for breaking the bundle. Where promoters bundle sh*t fights with good fights to sell all. We want a pay by fight system. We pay for the ones worth the money and don't pay for the ones that aren't. The internet and piracy is already responsible for breaking that BS in the music business... which is why you can by a song you like for 1.99 and scrap the rest of the sh*tty album by not paying for it. Just my 2 cents, of course.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 08-29-2016 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammer for clarity.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Promoter's in cases ruined boxing of late but HBO Showtime Sky all are to blame as well.
    The fighters are tied to watertight contracts by the above,! we have to face it it's extremely rare the best of the best face each other.
    Millions of pounds and dollars are involved fighters are no longer in charge of themselves, they are just pawn's in a game.
    The fan's are the suckers just paying the price subscription TV and PPV, if you want to watch half decent fights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't pay for it!

Put on a shit show, I'll stream it. It's that simple.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure that's possible or necessary, for a crude analogy it would be like asking the John's to take prostitutes back from the pimps. Boxing was never not advantageous to the promoters and vested interests, but I don't think that and shit fights are mutually exclusive. I don't know enough of the facts, but it strikes me you could easily argue that people who just stream everything are a chunk of the problem?

I definitely feel like bringer better fights to cable is a big step, heard the other day that Spence vs Bundu had 6 or 7 million viewers at one point. For a fairly insignificant fight, that's good news. Lot more than the PPVS Floyd and Manny sold, for instance.

Thread Information