Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather v De La Hoya -boring chess match waiting to happen ? (Ring Mag. talk)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather v De La Hoya -boring chess match waiting to happen ? (Ring Mag. talk)

Am sure a good few of you agree

It will be technically excellent I have no doubt - but edge of the seat stuff ??

Just got latest Ring magazine and there is major article on it. Of a poll of 20 'experts' only one sees it stopping inside the distance (Mayweather by TKO around the 7th)

Most go for Mayweather by decision, a few Oscar.

I hope I'm wrong and this is a classic but...

Just thought I'd kick off a thread
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather v De La Hoya - boring chess match waiting to happen ??

Yeah! I picked it up myself a few days back.
    Great read....

Last isssue they interviewed 7 trainers and they asked them 'How do you think ODLH should fight PBF?"..... "Whats style should he use"
    From Steward to Suarez to Goosen and even Dundee.

For the record (which doesn't mean much BUT talk) Dundee thinks ODLH will beat PBF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anybody read the Mayweather-ODLH ring Magazine?

It's pretty interesting, and Genaro Hernandez(who fought both them) thinks Mayweather will win. However guys like Baldomir think otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anybody read the Mayweather-ODLH ring Magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    It's pretty interesting, and Genaro Hernandez(who fought both them) thinks Mayweather will win. However guys like Baldomir think otherwise.
    Baldomir is still trying to get the license plate number to the Ferrari that hit him back in November

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reporter: "Carlos, you've been in the ring with Floyd, how well can he take a punch?"

Baldomir: "I don't know, I never landed one."

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Yeah! I picked it up myself a few days back.
    Great read....

Last isssue they interviewed 7 trainers and they asked them 'How do you think ODLH should fight PBF?"..... "Whats style should he use"
    From Steward to Suarez to Goosen and even Dundee.

For the record (which doesn't mean much BUT talk) Dundee thinks ODLH will beat PBF.
    Did anyone read the one with the trainers views? ^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    Reporter: "Carlos, you've been in the ring with Floyd, how well can he take a punch?"

Baldomir: "I don't know, I never landed one."
    owned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather v De La Hoya -boring chess match waiting to happen ? (Ring Mag. talk)

I think Trainers are not the best judge of who will win. There is a guy up here in Canada who thought Gatti would Mayweather, and so did Micky Ward. I know Manny was saying Baldomir will be Mayweather's biggest challenge to date before that fight. I saw Dundee on a talk show up here called in this corner the same one where the guy rated Gatti over Mayweather, and Dundee thought that Ali beat any other heavyweight anywhere any time, and he also thought the hook Fraizer landed on Ali would have ko'ed any other heavyweight. I doubt Tua would have even flinched. I think Trainers think too highly of certain fighters because of the style while they are over critical of other fighters. THat's just what I've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the record...it could happen.

The way I see it, today, it's a bit more even than most think.

Oscar could probably gain a bit of an advantage over Floyd based on the fact that Floyd's very reserved with his output. If Oscar can flurry while Floyd tries to accumulate...he could win the decision.

I hope not though.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    For the record...it could happen.

The way I see it, today, it's a bit more even than most think.

Oscar could probably gain a bit of an advantage over Floyd based on the fact that Floyd's very reserved with his output. If Oscar can flurry while Floyd tries to accumulate...he could win the decision.

I hope not though.
    Yeah but with Floyd's speed, counter punching plus defense landing meaningful flurries may be difficult.

Oscar needs to make Floyd come to him!!!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather v De La Hoya -boring chess match waiting to happen ? (Ring Mag. talk)

That's the worst thing IMO ODLH can do. There is no way he can counter Mayweather. Its funny Genaro Hernandez said the same thing about forcing Mayweather to come to him if they fought again, but Mayweather did lead almost the whole fight, and Hernandez was completely overwhelmed. Mosley will help Oscar get used to the handspeed, but he doesn't come in like Mayweather at all. You never see Mosley truly jump in with a hook or a cross like Roy Jones or Floyd do, and that is something you can't prepare for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

honestly i feel it will be a boring ass chess match and on top of that if they are still agreeing on REYES gloves then be prepared for PBF to break his hand early on and even make it more snooooooooooooozefest

but then again who are we to front we all cant wait till cinco de mayo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These are also 10oz. gloves which will help Floyd's hands a little, and if he is going balls to the wall then a broken hand shouldn't hinder him all that much. I thought the Baldomir fight was very entertaining after he hurt his hand because he displayed his terrific defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Every now and then I think to myself..

"self.. who are you kidding Floyd is going to have a field day with the holes in Oscar's defense and if he is happy to have fans hate on him now why would he care enough to risk giving them a desent fight and not just run to victory?"

when I'm on a downer like that I just go and watch Mayweather v Castillo I. I see alot of similarity in style between Castillo and De La Hoya. Then I think to myself..

"self.. Oscar can do everything Castillo can do only he is bigger and better. If Castillo could land clean shots on Floyd on the ropes imagine what damage Oscar will do to lil'Floyd."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think this is more likely to be a snooze fest.

what if pbf is coming in while odlh takes a mini step back and lands a GIGANTIC left hook. now that will bring excitement, the whole arena would prolly explode.

oscar has to hurt pbf, he can't wait on him pbf is too fast, some how oscar must hurt pbf. I hope oscar consistantly goes to the body early just hit it whenever and hard and as often as you can. that should take away pbf stamina and footspeed.

But whatever happens its going to be hard to beat pbf.

Thread Information