Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default heavyweights

lets compare how the heavyweight division changed over the decades.

many of our past great champs would be consider small heavyweights now a days. but we all think the heavyweight today is lacking talent.

how different has it become? size wise talent wise and character wise.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: heavyweights

I think whats changed it the most is training, I mean before you wouldn't hear about Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey or even Jack Johnson going to high altitudes to train. It was all ground work and with whatever they had in their surroundings.

Now you got camps set up with nutrionists and all that. Boxers have tried to get an edge somehow by hiring people like Billy Blanks and the guys name leaves my mind at the moment but the guy that RJJ hired for his fight against Ruiz.

As far as talent not sure on that, cause some people say Lennox was a medicore Champ. I mean I like Lennox (I ain't his biggest fan) but credit is given where credit is due and credit is due to him he was/is the last Undisputed Champ. and that says a lot.

However I do think that fighters from the past had more heart then almost all of the ones of today. With exception of a few Heavys. who with regardless how tough it gets and regardless of previous losses their still around.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

+1391 cmm

yea i think past heavy had more heart and will to be champ, i guess they had to because being heavyweight champ meant a lot more then it does now.

i really think the title heavyweight champ has decrease. It use to be a huge accomplishment world wide to be heavyweight champ. Fighters fight 15 rounds brutally to gain that title. and before that they train like mad mans to keep in good shape.

now a days we have fat heavyweights slow and no skills heavyweights. its sad to see bums today that would of been killed by top 20th heavy in the past become heavyweight champ in our time today.

ICB Guest

With all new technology aswell you would think it would be easier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I notice most is the lack of over all technical skills. 4 - 5 punch combinations are thing of the past. Few are willing to stay in the pocket and fight , either from a lack of skills or lack of confidence usually a combination of both .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not only lack of heart, lack of conditioning, and all thats tuff, there's not any big time personalities anymore. Atleast with Toney in the mix you knew you were gonna get an off the wall comment or a sportscenter worthy interview to air. All thats on tv today is Chris Byrd (i don't care if he's a nice guy he's boring as S*** and i have to pay money to watch snoozefest after snoozefest), Valuev (a side show act that makes the sport look like a joke), Wlad (who is way too nice and respectful of everything. If he got on tv and would be like "I'm a superior athlete to every puny man that america or any other country can offer. I will win every fight by ko and be superior champion. If you face me in ring, i will break you" he would be my favorite fighter of all time bar none.) and a bunch of uncharasmatic jobbers from the ex-soveit union and america that all seem to be photocopies of one another stylistically and personality wise. When ali said he was gonna beat somebody he said it with passion and people thought he was crazy now every bum on the street is like "yeah i'll beat him because im a better fighter" with the same amount of enthusiazm that most people would say "Yeah i couldn't be there because my mom died".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i posted about this while ago i was on a flight JET BLUE from orlando to caly and they had an OLD SCHOOL program with a young larry merchant and i believe it was either Cus or Angelo cant exactly recall right now but the two annalyzed all the HW from the old old school to about the 80's or so.

the biggest shocker i saw in the difference was how brutal those old old school fights were. the refs didnt waive off shiiiiiiiiiiit they let the fighters literally pound the living shiiiiiiiit out of each other! i was like ummmmmmmm hello ref waive it off already? it was BRUTAL son! hollaaaaaar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh yeah and one big huge factor was in the olden olden days there was no: GO BACK TO YOUR NEUTAL CORNER RULE

meaning once u knocked a guy down and he has a knee to the canvas or hes even flat on the ground u can still beat he beejeesuz out of him until either bell or the ref wakes up and does something.

think about that and actually visualize that son!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain
    +1391 cmm

yea i think past heavy had more heart and will to be champ, i guess they had to because being heavyweight champ meant a lot more then it does now.

i really think the title heavyweight champ has decrease. It use to be a huge accomplishment world wide to be heavyweight champ. Fighters fight 15 rounds brutally to gain that title. and before that they train like mad mans to keep in good shape.

now a days we have fat heavyweights slow and no skills heavyweights. its sad to see bums today that would of been killed by top 20th heavy in the past become heavyweight champ in our time today.
    CC#14 on me Julius well thought thread here....
    And I'm with 'ya on the whole decline of the title Heavyweight Champ. certainly it's lost meaning theres is no doubt in that and untill we have an Undisputed Champ. it will continue to loose meaning. IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    +1391 cmm

And I'm with 'ya on the whole decline of the title Heavyweight Champ. certainly it's lost meaning theres is no doubt in that and untill we have an Undisputed Champ. it will continue to loose meaning. IMO
    yeah we need a unified/undispute HW champ like a crackhead needs a hit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

endorsments also
    i think heavyweights are just relying n thier poer

in the 80s holmes, holyfield, kinda, micheal spinks tyson ,witherspoon
    90s holyfield bowe lewis moorer mercer foreman bruno morrison
    they had way more heart more skills and footwork, better boxers

present klitcko bros. rahmin toney peter briggs even though their careers are not done they are not gonna be known as good boxer with heart known 240lbs . who ko who 1 hit ko except toney hes cool lol

current boxers fight for reputation classic boxers fight for thier legacy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

+1391 cmm

yea we really really need an undisputed champion. The title Heavyweight champion of the world use to be the proudest accomplishment for a man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

+1391 cmm

yea we really really need an undisputed champion. The title Heavyweight champion of the world use to be the proudest accomplishment for a man.
    it was! the HW champ WAS the highest honor in sports universally!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

also used to be the highest paid athlete/celebrity too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)