Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How Close Was Mike Tyson vs James Quick Tillis ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default How Close Was Mike Tyson vs James Quick Tillis ??

a fighter who had previously annihilated everything in his path, found himself having to work extremely hard. With Tillis showing his adeptness at frustrating an opponent, Mike’s game plan - of knocking his man flat - was very much spoilt. James was tying him up and using his still quick hands to good effect. Jabs and uppercuts were on display from the man Bundini Brown had once dubbed “The Fighting Cowboy” and the crowd, who had expected another speedy demolition job from the heavyweight division’s newest attraction, began to boo.

Where they booing Mike, or James? Looking back , they had no real cause to jeer either man - a good fight was unfolding. In the fourth round, Tyson at last broke through with a hard punch. Tillis lunged in with a shot and Tyson countered it perfectly, sending him to the canvas. James jumped up straight away, however, and fought back. The fight went into the late rounds and at the final bell both men were trading. The ten round bout had been more than interesting. The judges sided with Tyson and awarded him a unanimous verdict. But according to James, in his autobiography, at the end of the fight Mike told him “You beat me, you beat me.”

Although such a claim is very much open to debate, what is a fact is the soreness Mike Tyson admitted to feeling for days after the bout. He had been in a hard one and, years later, didn’t mind saying so.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=7622&more=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Close Was Mike Tyson vs James Quick Tillis ??

Not close he beat him convincly but it did open my eyes to what a real boxer could have done... I made my mind up their that in no way could mike tyson ever beat muhamed ali..

ICB Guest

"He was too experienced for me. He was hitting me in the belly and I couldn't fight the way I was accustomed to fighting. ...It was a real close fight. I think the knockdown saved me."

-Mike Tyson

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pacdog
    Not close he beat him convincly but it did open my eyes to what a real boxer could have done... I made my mind up their that in no way could mike tyson ever beat muhamed ali..
    Agreed if i remember right Tillis was about to win 4th when Tyson caught Tillis off balance unluckily for Tillis fight was close and i agree with what Mike said knockdown did prolly save him Tillis landed with some good clean shots and Tyson imo looked very beatable in that fight but people will argue that he wasn't in his prime which is nonsense because he won world title later that year off Berbick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    "He was too experienced for me. He was hitting me in the belly and I couldn't fight the way I was accustomed to fighting. ...It was a real close fight. I think the knockdown saved me."

-Mike Tyson
    I take little value from anything Mike has to say. He would have won without the knockdown. I think when he didnt intimidate the guy he is fighting to him he didnt win convincingly.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson clearly won, but it was a close fight definetly.. Don't think it's wrong to say it wasn't a prime Tyson either ICB.. I mean physically he may have been nearing his peak, but he hadn't faced anyone quick like Tillis before, it was a learning experience for sure.. I think he learned to cope with speed better over the next couple years.. They say ever fighter becomes 50% better when they win their first world title anyways.. It's also worth noting that I seem to remember Tyson had Tillis in big trouble in the last round, he may have very well got the KO if it had gone on another 30 seconds, in a 12 round fight he would have imo..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tyson won convicingly but it was close
    seem like he gas out and tillis took advantage

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Tyson clearly won, but it was a close fight definetly.. Don't think it's wrong to say it wasn't a prime Tyson either ICB.. I mean physically he may have been nearing his peak, but he hadn't faced anyone quick like Tillis before, it was a learning experience for sure.. I think he learned to cope with speed better over the next couple years.. They say ever fighter becomes 50% better when they win their first world title anyways.. It's also worth noting that I seem to remember Tyson had Tillis in big trouble in the last round, he may have very well got the KO if it had gone on another 30 seconds, in a 12 round fight he would have imo..
    Just seems like when anyone gives Tyson hard fight its down to past his prime and actually Tillis also hit Tyson with good shots at end of 10th this is reason why i don't think he would beat prime Holmes or prime Ali because they were smart enough and quick enough to dance jab move and tie Tyson up imo anyway im not saying Tyson isn't good he had great talent in his prime no doubt but i feel he is overrated and would lose to a stick and move type fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

james buster douglas beat a prime tyson . but people say how tyson was having problems at the time and wasn't training properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

uhm imsorry but am i the only one that toguht tyson beat him easy ..... tillis was a scared fighter that night and i love watching tyson tillis on any day ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was'nt close Tyson won 6/4 6/4 8/2 on judges card but it was a great learning curve fight for Tyson he was still only 19 and in only his 20th fight in just over a year as a pro

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tysonbruno
    It was'nt close Tyson won 6/4 6/4 8/2 on judges card but it was a great learning curve fight for Tyson he was still only 19 and in only his 20th fight in just over a year as a pro
    6/4 is close knockdown that Tyson scored was more Tillis being off balance and Tillis was on his way to winning that round bit unlucky for Tillis but he always was decent fighter just he had stamina issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not bad result for a 19 year old kid who had only been pro for about 14 month

Thread Information