Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are shows like the contender good 4 boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default are shows like the contender good 4 boxing?

What do u think of shows like the contender and the image they put on the sport of boxing? I think they are a good idea in princible but dont think they should put better boxers in the show, i dont mean world class fighters as i know fighters like calzaghe and the like dont need to go on them, but i think they could be used 4 the fringe of world class, people who are due a shot, then the final fight could be a final eliminator 4 a big title, wba,wbo,ibf,wbc. That way we wouldnt see fighters like grady brewer winning when he has no chance fighting 4 a world title, and sergio mora has no chance against taylor if thats ever going to happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: are shows like the contender good 4 boxing?

Anything that creats a positive image and interest for boxing is good.
    Balls

ICB Guest

Yes it does brings normal people to watch it creates more fans imo so yes it is.

SigmaMu Guest

It's good for boxing but they need to step it up because UFC is doing the samething. UFC has not completely hooked me but I can see how they can hook a younger audience. UFC is perfect for a stupid generation like this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    It's good for boxing but they need to step it up because UFC is doing the samething. UFC has not completely hooked me but I can see how they can hook a younger audience. UFC is perfect for a stupid generation like this one.
    I read an article in boxing news a few months ago, i cnt remember who it was by, but the guy was comparing boxing to wwe boxing, And i got to be honest he had a good point, boxing should be doing more, spending more money on advertising shows, and highlighting a come-backing fighter, onther good point he made was that every boxer is well known, and the reason 4 this is because advertising and mecendishing. Look at boxerl like steve molitor, ibf world champ, world class boxer, Who has heard of him other than die hard boxing fans or maybe a few canadians?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I like this new season much better. No sound effects. No edited fights. Just good old fashion boxing.

I know there is an argument that this pushes back the casual fans who got into The Contender for the altered suspense. They need to get with the program eventually, right? If not then how are they helping boxing at all if they never convert to the pure form?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

UFC is perfect for a stupid generation like this one.
    LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    Well, I like this new season much better. No sound effects. No edited fights. Just good old fashion boxing.

I know there is an argument that this pushes back the casual fans who got into The Contender for the altered suspense. They need to get with the program eventually, right? If not then how are they helping boxing at all if they never convert to the pure form?
    Thats true, and they might expect every fight 2 be as exciting as the contender, where they were used to the sound efects, in reality nothing beats going to a show live 4 the atmasphere and the buzz.

SigmaMu Guest

LOL
    It's true.
    How hard is it to watch a fight that normaly ends in a knock out or a tap?
    It's a no brainer. You don't have to do anything but sit there and watch.
    UFC is entertainment. I am not taking anything away from the fighters themselves because they work and train hard and most of them are good at what they do and improving your skills in the UFC is easier than improving your skills in boxing.

I enjoy boxing more because you have to really pay close attention to the action or lack thereof because everyone should be trying to score the fight as they watch. This is more than just entertainment to me. Scoring UFC fights is easier and refereeing the UFC's fights is also easier. This is why I became bored with the UFC. At the end of the day it's too simple for me. Like I said before, UFC is perfect for a stupid generation like this one.

One thing that boxing needs is a Referee and Judges boot camp. A strong boot camp over haul. This is where the sport really lacks polishing. IMO

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i guess its good just for the exposure...

but i never watched it, and it didnt do well in the us

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL
    It's true.
    How hard is it to watch a fight that normaly ends in a knock out or a tap?
    It's a no brainer. You don't have to do anything but sit there and watch.
    UFC is entertainment. I am not taking anything away from the fighters themselves because they work and train hard and most of them are good at what they do and improving your skills in the UFC is easier than improving your skills in boxing.

I enjoy boxing more because you have to really pay close attention to the action or lack thereof because everyone should be trying to score the fight as they watch. This is more than just entertainment to me. Scoring UFC fights is easier and refereeing the UFC's fights is also easier. This is why I became bored with the UFC. At the end of the day it's too simple for me. Like I said before, UFC is perfect for a stupid generation like this one.
    i can barely watch 99% of UFC fights, but i used to be able to watch an entire pride PPV, without getting bored for a second...

now that zuffa bought pride i fear that may soon change...

at least the guys i like will still be around for a few more years tho, and even if they are vs some mess like forrest griffen i could watch it, yoshida would KTFO him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ppl that know boxing hate it regular ppl love it

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher
    i guess its good just for the exposure...

but i never watched it, and it didnt do well in the us
    You should have watched it.
    Thank's to people like you it failed in the USA. (Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh)
    Your support was needed.
    Overall it did great around the world.
    100 countries got to watch the Contender. It was shown on all 7 continents.
    If this show would have got the support of the so called hard core boxing fans and self procalimed purist (cus there are no purist in this sport) The show would have done great and it would have opened doors that were closed on local channels rather than having to look for a cable network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know a site that lists the number of people who have purchased each UFC ppv card?

I'm just curious how the best-selling UFC ppv cards match up with boxing ppv buys.

Thread Information