Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cotto/Judah: Chin Checking.

Share/Bookmark
    SigmaMu Guest

Default Cotto/Judah: Chin Checking.

The following are just excerpts taken from an article
    by Steve Farhood (April 25, 2007)

Cotto/Judah: Chin Checking.

In boxing, a reputation is harder to shake than Don King looking to close a contract.

At the press conference announcing the Miguel Cotto-Zab Judah welterweight title fight of June 9, Zab said, “Cotto’s ability to take a punch is VERY MUCH in question.”

While Cotto has been downed once (by Ricardo Torres) and never stopped, Judah’s been dropped at least four times (by Kostya Tszyu, Jan Bergman, Cory Spinks, and Terronn Millett) stopped once (by Tszyu) and Rocked repeatedly by Carlos Manuel Baldomir in the 7th round.

Maybe Cotto should’ve been quoted about JUDAH’S ability to absorb punishment.

Cotto’s won all 29 of his bouts. But has he lost the rep of a fighter who can be hurt? Or to put it another way, are we going to hold round three of the Chop Chop Corley fight against him forever?

Maybe it’s time to reconsider. As usual, history provides perspective.

*In his first 13 bouts, Oscar De La Hoya suffered knockdowns against the unexceptional Narciso Valenzuela (35-13-2) and Giorgio Campanella (21-0). He’s subsequently fought the best opposition available at several weights, and his chin has never been in question. The knockdown he suffered against Pernell Whitaker was bogus. Bernard Hopkins floored him for the count with a bodyshot. And De La Hoya recovered strongly after falling against Ike Quartey.

*In his first 19 bouts, Muhammad Ali suffered left-hook knockdowns against Sonny Banks (10-2) and Henry Cooper (27-8-1). In subsequent bouts, “The Greatest” proved his chin belonged on Mt. Rushmore. Scratch the “knockdown” scored by Chuck Wepner. And what was truly remarkable about round 15 vs. Joe Frazier is not that Ali rose from a wicked left hook, but that he picked himself up before referee Arthur Mercante could reach a count of two.

*In his first 12 bouts, Whitaker suffered knockdowns against a good fighter in Rafael Williams (25-2) and an excellent fighter in Roger Mayweather (26-4). Felix Trinidad and Diosbelys Hurtado dropped “Sweet Pea” later in the hall of famer’s career, but Whitaker was never thought to have a dangerously soft chin. That’s probably because he got hit less often than almost any fighter of his generation.

*In his 12th bout, Juan Diaz suffered a knockdown against Ubaldo Hernandez (15-7-1) and cried about it. That was six years ago. Diaz has faced plenty of punchers since and has remained upright against all of them.

There are plenty of additional examples, including Aaron Pryor. “The Hawk” showed a shaky chin (down in title fights vs. Antonio Cervantes and Dujuan Johnson) until fighting Alexis Arguello, who punched holes through the trunks of redwood trees. In two fights, Arguello hit Pryor plenty, but never put him down.

Maybe it was the black bottle.

Anyway, at some point on June 9, Judah, whose power is generated by his speed and southpaw stance, will test Cotto’s chin … or his temple … or wherever else he’s supposedly vulnerable. If Cotto stands tall, maybe it’ll be time to rid him of his rep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto/Judah: Chin Checking.

Good job.

Corley's power is underestimated. Also, when you don't give a guy's power any respect, you usually get hit with punches you don't see(even Floyd). Also, when you try to evade an opponent with your hands down, and take your eyes off him (Zab), you get rocked. Plus, Carlos Baldomir is 180. Tszyu has heavy hands.
    Didn't Mickey Ward drop Zab with a body shot, just like a whole bunch of Ward's opponents. Not trying to defend either guy, I can just relate to what you wrote. I'd say neither Cotto, or Zab has a great chin, but getting rocked by the guys that have rocked them, is nothing to be ashamed of. Edge goes to Cotto's chin.

And like you said, If Cotto takes Zab's shots well, then he has at least a descent chin, because Zab will land.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have done your homework here!
    Agree with what you say too, I wouldn't be to concerned about Cotto's chin, Torres had him in a little trouble but nothing to serious and the punch Zab took from Tszyu would have floored Bernard Hopkins!
    Tszyu himself was down a few times as was Duran in his prime twice against De Jesus.
    Cotto won't be hard to miss come fight night and Zab will certainly hit him at some point.
    It won't be a dull fight that's for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Cotto at this point has proven that his chin is any better than Zab's. I'd say they're equally vulnerable to being hurt.

The difference is that Cotto has proven he can stay focused and come back, whereas Zab falls apart mentally as soon as something goes wrong.

I'd say as of right now, their chins are equal but the edge in heart or composure goes to Cotto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    The following are just excerpts taken from an article
    by Steve Farhood (April 25, 2007)

Cotto/Judah: Chin Checking.

In boxing, a reputation is harder to shake than Don King looking to close a contract.

At the press conference announcing the Miguel Cotto-Zab Judah welterweight title fight of June 9, Zab said, “Cotto’s ability to take a punch is VERY MUCH in question.”

While Cotto has been downed once (by Ricardo Torres) and never stopped, Judah’s been dropped at least four times (by Kostya Tszyu, Jan Bergman, Cory Spinks, and Terronn Millett) stopped once (by Tszyu) and Rocked repeatedly by Carlos Manuel Baldomir in the 7th round.

Maybe Cotto should’ve been quoted about JUDAH’S ability to absorb punishment.

Cotto’s won all 29 of his bouts. But has he lost the rep of a fighter who can be hurt? Or to put it another way, are we going to hold round three of the Chop Chop Corley fight against him forever?

Maybe it’s time to reconsider. As usual, history provides perspective.

*In his first 13 bouts, Oscar De La Hoya suffered knockdowns against the unexceptional Narciso Valenzuela (35-13-2) and Giorgio Campanella (21-0). He’s subsequently fought the best opposition available at several weights, and his chin has never been in question. The knockdown he suffered against Pernell Whitaker was bogus. Bernard Hopkins floored him for the count with a bodyshot. And De La Hoya recovered strongly after falling against Ike Quartey.

*In his first 19 bouts, Muhammad Ali suffered left-hook knockdowns against Sonny Banks (10-2) and Henry Cooper (27-8-1). In subsequent bouts, “The Greatest” proved his chin belonged on Mt. Rushmore. Scratch the “knockdown” scored by Chuck Wepner. And what was truly remarkable about round 15 vs. Joe Frazier is not that Ali rose from a wicked left hook, but that he picked himself up before referee Arthur Mercante could reach a count of two.

*In his first 12 bouts, Whitaker suffered knockdowns against a good fighter in Rafael Williams (25-2) and an excellent fighter in Roger Mayweather (26-4). Felix Trinidad and Diosbelys Hurtado dropped “Sweet Pea” later in the hall of famer’s career, but Whitaker was never thought to have a dangerously soft chin. That’s probably because he got hit less often than almost any fighter of his generation.

*In his 12th bout, Juan Diaz suffered a knockdown against Ubaldo Hernandez (15-7-1) and cried about it. That was six years ago. Diaz has faced plenty of punchers since and has remained upright against all of them.

There are plenty of additional examples, including Aaron Pryor. “The Hawk” showed a shaky chin (down in title fights vs. Antonio Cervantes and Dujuan Johnson) until fighting Alexis Arguello, who punched holes through the trunks of redwood trees. In two fights, Arguello hit Pryor plenty, but never put him down.

Maybe it was the black bottle.

Anyway, at some point on June 9, Judah, whose power is generated by his speed and southpaw stance, will test Cotto’s chin … or his temple … or wherever else he’s supposedly vulnerable. If Cotto stands tall, maybe it’ll be time to rid him of his rep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope all those saying you did your homework realise you didn't write that article Danny_G but that Steve Farhood of shobox did

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    I hope all those saying you did your homework realise you didn't write that article Danny_G but that Steve Farhood of shobox did
    Yes, it says that at the top, but I gave a cool click for posting it. Addresses an interesting point of view that is close to what I was thinking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He does state that at the beginning of the post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Cotto's chin is stronger especially at welter , ive predicted a 3 round win for Cotto , after climbing up from a knockdown ,
    Round 3 BOOM Cotto conects with a huge left hook and the first 3 rows of fans get showered with GLASS from Zabs JAW LOL
    GO COTTO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In fight news says that the ticket sales are breaking a record for this event.

What a Yeah PBF vs Oscar (it could be boring or not) Cotto vs Judah , Taylor vs Spiks, Hatton vs Castillo

Are you exited yet?

Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

besides mentally, if there is anything wrong with judah boxing wise, its defeinitly his chin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Puya
    In fight news says that the ticket sales are breaking a record for this event.

What a Yeah PBF vs Oscar (it could be boring or not) Cotto vs Judah , Taylor vs Spiks, Hatton vs Castillo

Are you exited yet?

word? how the boriquas back in the motherland feelin about this one bro? hollaaaar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    Good job.

Corley's power is underestimated. Also, when you don't give a guy's power any respect, you usually get hit with punches you don't see(even Floyd). Also, when you try to evade an opponent with your hands down, and take your eyes off him (Zab), you get rocked. Plus, Carlos Baldomir is 180. Tszyu has heavy hands.
    Didn't Mickey Ward drop Zab with a body shot, just like a whole bunch of Ward's opponents. Not trying to defend either guy, I can just relate to what you wrote. I'd say neither Cotto, or Zab has a great chin, but getting rocked by the guys that have rocked them, is nothing to be ashamed of. Edge goes to Cotto's chin.

And like you said, If Cotto takes Zab's shots well, then he has at least a descent chin, because Zab will land.
    I remember seeing Corley for the first time. Can't remember who he was fighting, but I do remember that Chop Chop was the underdog. Corley landed a perfect uppercut as the guy was coming in and this guy just collapsed into the canvas. He was not hurt before that, it was just a one punch, see you later, let me know when you wake up. I thought "WOW, this man can hit". I was very worried about Cotto when he fought Corley and had a big scare in the 3rd. But Cotto did what a Champion does, he got back in the fight and took care of business.

His chin is fine and his hart is better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hmm between the two, i think zab is the most proven glass chin of the two. although not that proven yet, but i suspect cotto has a good chin coming from a latino lineage. Iron chinned boxers are most common with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

EITHER WAY THE COTTO VS ZAB FIGHT IS GOING TO BE A GOOD ONE I CAN JUST SINCE IT!

Thread Information