Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: During sparring....

Chris, it's called the feint. lol. But you're right. The mroe you box, the more all these subtle tactics become inate. You re-program your mind and instrincts. For example, for 30 years I taught myself to catch the ball coming at me, and it got me playing at the college and international level as a 3rd baseman. Now I have to miss the ball altogether, so to speak.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Put it on to see the reaction Von, Boxing equates to everything. Just by looking at someones posture and balance you can see what sort of day theyve had. Looking into someones eyes you can see there soul and know what they are. But at the end of the day I find Boxing is about finding who you are after the first punch has landed. All the technique and knowledge in the world wont help if you cant fight, thats the bottom line.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely Scrap cc. There are people that should box but don't and people who box but don't have the bottle to keep in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i look at hands/chest
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    Do you tape targets on your mirror/bags Chris?
    I have tape that runs around where the belly is and another that goes around where the head is, but I haven't put any targets represent the solarplexus/liver.

I don't have have my mirror marked. It sounds like a good idea though, it'd make it easier to imagine throwing counters to the liver/solarplexus, and chin. I'll give it shot.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Put it on to see the reaction Von, Boxing equates to everything. Just by looking at someones posture and balance you can see what sort of day theyve had. Looking into someones eyes you can see there soul and know what they are. But at the end of the day I find Boxing is about finding who you are after the first punch has landed. All the technique and knowledge in the world wont help if you cant fight, thats the bottom line.
    put WHAT on? What the HELL are you talking about? I asked you about elbows and you get all philosophical...seeing peoples souls, knowgin how their day went... apparently the elbows tell all. lol.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Von I like you, Bet you can fight something tells me you can. You only get one chance as a rule in Boxing, and most of it is luck. Being at the right place at the right time, picking the right gym , coach and the people who will look after you.Ive talked to fighters 90 year old old time greats who wish they had there time again so they could do things different, thats called hindsight, experiance, its what we dont have first time round. Work ethic to go to a gym and work at skills for hours and have fun, making things work, spending up to a month just working on the mechanics of movement and why. Balance ,Perception , Movement Until they have the conception of WHY, its a waste of time. Like giving a18 year old a Ferrari as a first car we know why the insurance will be high tell that to the 18 year old he wont, until the crash. Give me a kid with a good work ethic every day of the week, over the kid whose got so called talent. Ive had them, but the ones that became World Champs worked that bit harder and wanted it more, and did what the nearlys didnt.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

excellent read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    excellent read
    oh, brother. lmao!

scrap my old friend, ya kill me!!! lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scrap is a legend …

exercising the mind is as important as coming into the ring physically correct. Deciphering Scraps wisdom helps fire up some of those dormant neurons in the brain .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going to try to guess what Scrap means. Maybe Scrap or someone else who is 100 % sure they understand him (perhaps Lords?) could tell me whether or not I'm on the right track.

The elbows tell a lot because the position of the elbows in relation to the body indicate where the body is leaning (posture reference)

The eyes might show something about how your opponent is coping but it's best to concentrate on motivating yourself and keeping your own efforts going (eyes, soul reference)

Put it on = Give it a go?

All the technique and knowledge in the world won't help if you can't fight = even if you see the tell you need some aggression and bravery or bite to make the most of it.

Perhaps there's also the risk that even with very good eyes for what your opponent does you are still going to get hit sometimes therefore you need to be able to take a few.

Maybe there is no one perfect body part to watch which tells everything.

Is that what you meant Scrap?

The wider the elbow the easier it is to parry if it's only a jab.

If it's wider again it's a hook - unless it's nice and compact in which case might need an awareness of the feet too perhaps?

Maybe the difference between a really nice compact hook and a jab could be distance?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's scrap saying which isn't to understand?

makes perfect sense to me... He's just getting you thinking....

When you get educated in school you where never given the answer outright where you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Do you tape targets on your mirror/bags Chris?
    I have tape that runs around where the belly is and another that goes around where the head is, but I haven't put any targets represent the solarplexus/liver.

I don't have have my mirror marked. It sounds like a good idea though, it'd make it easier to imagine throwing counters to the liver/solarplexus, and chin. I'll give it shot.
    When you shadowbox in your mirror you can't really visualize your opponent because you're focusing on yourself. If you put targets on the mirror to represent your opponent you can see both him and yourself all at once. I think this seeing of both you and your opponent is critical and to my knowledge this is the only training tool that will work that part of your brain. Helps you see everything in other words. A great training tool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you shadowbox in your mirror you can't really visualize your opponent because you're focusing on yourself. If you put targets on the mirror to represent your opponent you can see both him and yourself all at once. I think this seeing of both you and your opponent is critical and to my knowledge this is the only training tool that will work that part of your brain. Helps you see everything in other words. A great training tool.
    Thanks Thomas, I've started working on it. Although it still takes some getting used to it, I feel it does make it easier to see the targets. Now I'm really focussing on a shot to the solarplexus, liver and chin while before it wasn't always the case. The big thing I want to practice is working on the different shifts/footwork while I'm working the mirror or the bags. I'm trying to keep in mind where I want to be, trying to visualize my opponent's lead and rear hand while I'm moving around.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris tape a nought and crosses on the mirror 8" squares 9 of them dont move the head move the feet and knees to change levels and direction and distance not the head its a very good routine.

Thread Information