Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Promoters agree to quit bitching & have a Calzaghe v Kessler summit! Oh bwoy!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Promoters agree to quit bitching & have a Calzaghe v Kessler summit! Oh bwoy!

Promoters agree to Calzaghe v Kessler summit

http://www.secondsout.com/usa/

By Ant Evans: Promoter Frank Warren has agreed to meet with Danish counterpart Mogens Palle to see if a deal can be hammered out to make the Joe Calzaghe v Mikkel Kessler a reality for later this year.

With Oscar De La Hoya v Floyd Mayweather Junior due to fight next weekend, the biggest bout in boxing will soon be the fight between the two unbeaten super-middleweight champions.

Welshman Calzaghe, 35, is enjoying an incredible decade long championship reign but his status as the No.1 in the 168lbs (12stone) division has been put in the dock as Kessler, the reigning WBC and WBA champion, continues the blitz superior opponents to the handpicked foes Calzaghe has faced over the last year.

Boxing fans around the world are demanding this bout to take place and, for once, the know-nothings at HBO are throwing their weight behind a genuine sporting contest as opposed to the pathetic glorified muggings they’ve arranged over the last months.

Perhaps in response to HBO’s wishes, Palle and Warren have called a ceasefire in their public spat over which champion is “avoiding” the other and have agreed to a face-to-face meeting.

It is a start, at least.

Palle told SecondsOut: “I don’t know if I am flying to London or if Frank Warren is coming here, but, certainly, in the next week we will sit down and see if we can make this fight.

“It is the biggest fight in boxing, it is the best fight that can be made.”

A huge ticket-seller in Denmark, Kessler nevertheless has proved himself well prepared to travel if the money is right and Palle said that ‘the Viking’ would be happy to traverse the North Sea for the biggest fight of his life.

“We could do it in Denmark, Wales or even England,” he said.

Not so easily solved, though, are the issues of purse parity and co-promotion.

Palle said he still thinks the two champions should split the purse 50/50 while Warren believes, with some justification, that Calzaghe is the established No.1 in the division and has earned the right to a bigger purse than Kessler who, despite, his two gold belts will be perceived as the young ’challenge’ in this super-fight.

However, Palle will put an interesting proposition to Warren.

“We could do 60-40 for the winner,” he said. “Or it could be 55-45, it doesn’t matter. I am confident Mr Warren and I will make every effort to make this happen.”
    Let’s hope every effort is enough.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Promoters agree to quit bitching & have a Calzaghe v Kessler summit! Oh bwoy!

NICE

Although it sounds like it's only just beginning, at least the lines of diplomacy are open.
    STEP ONE, DOWN.
    Now just about 80 more steps to go, but it's a start!
    cc for the info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Promoters agree to quit bitching & have a Calzaghe v Kessler summit! Oh bwoy!

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    “We could do 60-40 for the winner,” he said. “Or it could be 55-45, it doesn’t matter. I am confident Mr Warren and I will make every effort to make this happen.”
    music to my ears, this fight might actually happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hahaha i even like wacko's choice of words for the subject title!

good job wacko CC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thank god at least this is a start.. i believe that both fighters want this but on their terms, so theres gona have to be a comprimise somewhere. a 60/40 to the winner is the best solution if there both so confident about winning? i can understand why JC doesnt want this in denmark, because if this goes to the cards he could well end up being robbed of his belts and legacy.

Whats the general opinion of a winner, ive got joe calzaghe, by late tko or ud?? would be some fight though!!!
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll start believing these two are actually going to fight when they step into a ring and I hear a bell, but this is a good start and good news.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH
    I'll start believing these two are actually going to fight when they step into a ring and I hear a bell, but this is a good start and good news.
    I'm yee! on this one.

Won't belive it untill I see some leather gloves flying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as I know Calzaghe has only one demand...

No cameras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe Calzaghe and Warren has been reading in the different boxing forums and the pressure is on from HBO aswell. I hope I can make a trip to UK september then

Lets take Calzaghe to school ( I hope )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love for this fight to happen....I won't get my hopes up until I know there is ink drying on paper though....It seems that Calzaghe is alway's in TALKS with a big time showdown....but talk is all it ever seems to be
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    As far as I know Calzaghe has only one demand...

No cameras.
    Hahaha that made me laugh, good stuff CC.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Promoters agree to quit bitching & have a Calzaghe v Kessler summit! Oh bwoy

Whoop whoop...someone tell those two promoters that they will make truckloads of money if this fight happens, cause it has to be made. Anyhow, once Calzaghe gets his hand raised at the end of this fight, I warn you now I will be unbearable and just about the happiest man in Wales. Either way, I have already dictated to my friends that wherever in the world the fight will be, I'm selling my flat to fund the trip to see the fight.

And personally part of me hopes its in Vegas so I can put any money left from the flat sale on Red 7...it's the banker on the roulette wheel.

Thread Information