Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: stance for close range fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Grand

In my own humble opinion .. i beleive the right hand should be held on your cheek just under your eye as to protect you from left hooks and also acts as a parry. it can easily be held up to cover teh side of yoru head from hooks and brought down to parry the jab and your left hand should be held out infront of you not touching your face ( it acts as a block ) so you can just see over the glove aswell. notice if you bring your elbow out your hand lowers hence leavign a bigger target. the reason you dont hold your jab hand really close to yoru face is cause this gives your jab less distance to reach your opponent then if you had it touching your face. also when your opponent throws a punch you can just block it rather than holding your hands against your face and let him hit you that way ( i find it still hurts the face even if yoru hands are there ). i beleive your body should be facing diagonally to your right ( or left if yoru a southpaw ) as to leaving not as much target as you would give your opponent facing him square on. but your head should be facing your opponent kind of tucked down into your shoulder. kind of like bernard hopkins.

all in my own opinion of course
    I agree with everything you said there.

I once held my right hand up around my cheek for the same reasons. Like you say it allows you to parry the jab or block the left hook in least amount of time possible as the hand only needs to travel a couple inches for either maneuver. One problem I encountered with this tactic (and I imagine that you also have) was that to throw a right hand - a real right hand with full weight and leverage - I had to cock back my hand. I would have to do this because the right hand was not placed in a natural position to punch. Simply put; you can't punch from your cheek. Not with any real force anyway. The right hand naturally wants to be thrown with the hand at around chest level (right side) just under the neck.

That scares a lot of people to think about holding the right hand down there because they depend on blocking and not on slipping/rolling and controlling distance. The great irony of it is that by depending on blocking as your main means of defense you get you hit much more than you should. Slipping/rolling and controlling distance is the superior way to defend yourself from punches. Thus a proper stance would be one that best allows the body to slip/roll and control distance. I can't say that holding the hands up to the head does this.

I agree with your point about making the body a smaller target by standing 'diagonal'. This flows back the underpinnings of smart boxing in that you should show your opponent the least amount of targets to hit as possible. This way you can control where he will try to punch to with greater predictability. If you give him many options he will act unpredictably; if you give him only some options you take away the bulk of his punches and leave him in a predictable state.

Anyhow thanks for the response Grand. Its obvious to me that you approach boxing in very well thought out way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, lots to think about there from everyone. Thanks
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One little thing, basicaly we are always square. Its what were looking at makes the difference, think about it.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Scrap - something to mull over CC
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin

In my own humble opinion .. i beleive the right hand should be held on your cheek just under your eye as to protect you from left hooks and also acts as a parry. it can easily be held up to cover teh side of yoru head from hooks and brought down to parry the jab and your left hand should be held out infront of you not touching your face ( it acts as a block ) so you can just see over the glove aswell. notice if you bring your elbow out your hand lowers hence leavign a bigger target. the reason you dont hold your jab hand really close to yoru face is cause this gives your jab less distance to reach your opponent then if you had it touching your face. also when your opponent throws a punch you can just block it rather than holding your hands against your face and let him hit you that way ( i find it still hurts the face even if yoru hands are there ). i beleive your body should be facing diagonally to your right ( or left if yoru a southpaw ) as to leaving not as much target as you would give your opponent facing him square on. but your head should be facing your opponent kind of tucked down into your shoulder. kind of like bernard hopkins.

I once held my right hand up around my cheek for the same reasons. Like you say it allows you to parry the jab or block the left hook in least amount of time possible as the hand only needs to travel a couple inches for either maneuver. One problem I encountered with this tactic (and I imagine that you also have) was that to throw a right hand - a real right hand with full weight and leverage - I had to cock back my hand. I would have to do this because the right hand was not placed in a natural position to punch. Simply put; you can't punch from your cheek. Not with any real force anyway. The right hand naturally wants to be thrown with the hand at around chest level (right side) just under the neck.

That scares a lot of people to think about holding the right hand down there because they depend on blocking and not on slipping/rolling and controlling distance. The great irony of it is that by depending on blocking as your main means of defense you get you hit much more than you should. Slipping/rolling and controlling distance is the superior way to defend yourself from punches. Thus a proper stance would be one that best allows the body to slip/roll and control distance. I can't say that holding the hands up to the head does this.

I agree with your point about making the body a smaller target by standing 'diagonal'. This flows back the underpinnings of smart boxing in that you should show your opponent the least amount of targets to hit as possible. This way you can control where he will try to punch to with greater predictability. If you give him many options he will act unpredictably; if you give him only some options you take away the bulk of his punches and leave him in a predictable state.

Anyhow thanks for the response Grand. Its obvious to me that you approach boxing in very well thought out way.

You raise good points which i never even thought of before!
    I been thinkign about what you said for a few days and it does make sense! the arm does naturally want to be thrown from beneath your chin but like you said this dos leave yoru face open. the slipping and rolling thing makes sense aswell if you can perfect it i think the slipping and rolling tactic can be very hard to perfect but when done so it would be very effective. if your like me and have not perfected it then you tend to eat alot of glove
    well thank YOU for the reply made me think about it a bit more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

more video info about the boxing stance...
    http://www.5min.com/Video/The-boxing...PLSLaz%2fI8%3d

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cant get it to play, Im lost on these things
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    One little thing, basicaly we are always square. Its what were looking at makes the difference, think about it.
    Hi mate, hows things?
    Hello gentlemen, long time no see.

Little thing

Thats a hell of a big statment you've said there, in disguise.

I like your short comments Scrap they force people to either dismiss what your saying instantly (In which case hmmm hmmm hmm hm) or think deeper before acting.

What you've said here really is the key and the doorway to so much in regards to mental control of what your doing in the ring and the physical control of the opposition ' in close range' :
    in regards to which hand they can reach you with (if any) /which hand 'or hands at the same moment' you can reach them with while choking them out of their own comfort zone or their fixed thoughts /stance or style .
    /Power diversion/avasion.
    Even switching in close without full shoulder commitment, just using foot placment first so your uncommitted until their reaction is felt and you can use their momentum of that reaction to finish them / the list goes on and on in all the combinations of all of the above mentioned just on thinking about ,then acting on what you said in depth. cc

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin

You raise good points which i never even thought of before!
    I been thinkign about what you said for a few days and it does make sense! the arm does naturally want to be thrown from beneath your chin but like you said this dos leave yoru face open. the slipping and rolling thing makes sense aswell if you can perfect it i think the slipping and rolling tactic can be very hard to perfect but when done so it would be very effective. if your like me and have not perfected it then you tend to eat alot of glove
    well thank YOU for the reply made me think about it a bit more
    yeah you definitely would eat lots of glove. You would need to drop your left hand and use your shoulder to block the right hand. With the left hand low and the right hand at chest level you will notice that your upper body can move more freely. Your arms are not bolted to your body like a robot and you can bend at the waist to get under or away from punches with greater ease. Because your gloves are not around your face they don't obstruct your vision in any way. This kind of defense depends less on taking the punches on the arms and gloves and more on seeing them coming and slipping just enough to avoid it entirely. Something will see Floyd Mayweather do tonight against De la Hoya.

Through things like shadow boxing you can get a feel of this style with your body and in time it becomes very instinctive. It very well should be since this stance is a natural position for the body. You will notice this in your arms; they won't get heavy and tire you out because you don't have to hold them up all the time. Many people like to say this style is only for the super quick or slick but thats all bull. Like grey used to say its not some boxing magic. Up until the late 1940's it was the standard way to box.

But I wouldn't recommend this style unless you really know the in and outs of it like you say. It can be extremely effective but the slightest miscalculations can get you clipped. The trainers out there are pretty ignorant when it comes to this so you won't get much out of them trying to learn it. I say watch some tapes and good luck if you're thinking about trying it.

Thread Information