Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayweather's opponents have been hand picked since 2002!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather's opponents have been hand picked since 2002!

Since 2002 these are the blokes that Mayweather has fought Sosa,N'dou,Corlely,Bruseles,Gatti,Mitchell,Judah and Baldomir.

Not exactly a list of p4p fighters.All have styles that were picked to make Mayweather look good with the exception of Judah who was coming off a loss and has always been over rated by the US fight press.

The last dangerous live fighter he fought was Castillion back in December 2002.The fighters he fought previous to 2002 are of much better quality such as Castillio,Chavez,Corrales to name a few.

I think its a bit of a myth that Mayweather has been fighting the best out there and IMO Mayweather has been taken the easy option's for the last few years and this might be his down fall on the 5th.

Cant wait.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather's opponents have been hand picked since 2002!

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara
    Since 2002 these are the blokes that Mayweather has fought Sosa,N'dou,Corlely,Bruseles,Gatti,Mitchell,Judah and Baldomir.

Not exactly a list of p4p fighters.All have styles that were picked to make Mayweather look good with the exception of Judah who was coming off a loss and has always been over rated by the US fight press.

The last dangerous live fighter he fought was Castillion back in December 2002.The fighters he fought previous to 2002 are of much better quality such as Castillio,Chavez,Corrales to name a few.

I think its a bit of a myth that Mayweather has been fighting the best out there and IMO Mayweather has been taken the easy option's for the last few years and this might be his down fall on the 5th.

Cant wait.
    Wasn't Baldomir the recognized champ in the WW division?...I believe so.....Isn't Judah regarded as one of the best fighters out there and he is almost always fighting for a title?...Yep....Hasn't he went up over 3 weight divisions and still showed dominance like no one esle?...Yep.....Has he bit off more than he can chew this time....Yep....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont give him much credit for beating an old gatti nd mitchell but as for the rest they were all doing well at the time they fort floyd i mean ndou record was 31-1 30kos nd sosa nd corley were descent fighters, baldomir had just beaten judah who at the time was the man in that division so it made sense to fight even though there were tougher fights out there nd as for judah hes seen as a big threat to cotto the man who some think can beat floyd but the one thing i will say is he didnt fight the best fighters in LW nd WW divisions (hatton,cotto,margarito) but still claimed he was the no1 in each division nd made it seem as if there is no worthy challengers but never the less he still fort descent fighter nd is now fighting an older but bigger oscar so i do think this is gonna be a dangerous fight for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i agree that he has chosen his oponents very wisely in a buisnessman manner. but to be fair he is going to be fighting de la hoya on saturday so this topic is just another opporunity for people to slagg him off.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's real easy (and real lazy) to just go through a guys past fights and pick apart names, but look at the different styles he fought. Judah was a real tough fight for him to take, because he had similar handspeed. Judah has always been looked at as one of the most talented fighters out there, just because he took Baldomir lightly and dropped a decision didn't mean he suddenly lost all that talent he had. Floyd fought N'Dou, who was an incredibly dangerous puncher. You can point out the fact that Gatti was "old", but you forget to mention that at that time, Gatti was riding some big momentum and people considered him to now be a superior fighter than he was in younger years thanks to Buddy McGirt. Not to mention he was considered the bigger/stronger man going into the fight.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judah is a former P4P contender..And still probably current top 20..and a good fighter

Baldomir was the recognised champ..And obviously held one of those wbc titles that floyd holds so dear

So you can certainly excuse those fights..Judah was decent competition and floyd didnt exactly pick baldo..The public said heres the recognised champ and he said easy pickings ima take his title
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i wonder if this topic will make sense IF judah beats cotto..... and look at ndous knockout ratio going into that fight .... the fight with judah was being planed before he lost to baldomir when he had succes and baldomir beat gatti ass and beat judah so he was the champ and floyd fought him because brian kenny said floyds not the champ until he fight him .... and another thing .... who should he have fought?

he called out mosely mosley said he tooth hurt he called out hatton .... hatton said he not ready ..... maragarito? are u kiddin me.......... cotto he said hell fight him iam guessing cottos ppl said cottos not ready yet he still young ....so giv me other names ....... mayb he should go up to heavyweight will u ppl be impressed then ........ some of u guys dont understand its not hes faoult fights dont get made .... and iam not sayin he nevere hand picked an oponent but u cant say hes been doin for yrears cuz that shit dont look handpicked to me

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cant wait.
    Name another fighter at age 30 or less that has fought better competition. The list gets narrowed down to PAC and Jermain Taylor.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    i wonder if this topic will make sense IF judah beats cotto..... and look at ndous knockout ratio going into that fight .... the fight with judah was being planed before he lost to baldomir when he had succes and baldomir beat gatti ass and beat judah so he was the champ and floyd fought him because brian kenny said floyds not the champ until he fight him .... and another thing .... who should he have fought?

he called out mosely mosley said he tooth hurt he called out hatton .... hatton said he not ready ..... maragarito? are u kiddin me.......... cotto he said hell fight him iam guessing cottos ppl said cottos not ready yet he still young ....so giv me other names ....... mayb he should go up to heavyweight will u ppl be impressed then ........ some of u guys dont understand its not hes faoult fights dont get made .... and iam not sayin he nevere hand picked an oponent but u cant say hes been doin for yrears cuz that shit dont look handpicked to me
    Fair point.. I have the fight on dvd.. I believe Ndou's record was something along the lines of..
    31-1-0 (30 ko's)

South african fighter but had fought all around the world! No sheltered product!
    His only loss came by a late knockout i think..

Also i remember the floyd fight he came in to the ring playing celine Dion!!
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jbirdy
    yeah i agree that he has chosen his oponents very wisely in a buisnessman manner. but to be fair he is going to be fighting de la hoya on saturday so this topic is just another opporunity for people to slagg him off.
    Yep Joseph agree with you totally on the last part.... Again same ol regurgitated horseshit and tired argument....... Again I will petition ring magazine, and all the respected sport writers to have injunctions against them for having Mayweather #1 PFP yep got everyone buffaloed on his status even Oscar for giving him a trillionair of a payday Seriously did you just think of this topic this morning Porky

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point is the fighters he fought pre2002 were better than the one's he fought since and that might be a factor on Saturday night.

I dont blame him for fighting Baldomir as he was the champ at the time even if he was not the best fighter in the division.

As for Judah,I think he has always been way overrated.
    Balls

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    Yep Joseph agree with you totally on the last part.... Again same ol regurgitated horseshit and tired argument....... Again I will petition ring magazine, and all the respected sport writers to have injunctions against them for having Mayweather #1 PFP yep got everyone buffaloed on his status even Oscar for giving him a trillionair of a payday Seriously did you just think of this topic this morning Porky

I was actualy reading The Ring,Golden Boy vs Pretty Boy special when I thought of this topic now you ask.

On pages 38+39 it has all there fights and if you look mayweather fought better blokes pre2002.That all I said fokes,I was not trying to slag Floyd off just reading the stats as I saw them.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was actualy reading The Ring,Golden Boy vs Pretty Boy special when I thought of this topic now you ask.

On pages 38+39 it has all there fights and if you look mayweather fought better blokes pre2002.That all I said fokes,I was not trying to slag Floyd off just reading the stats as I saw them.
    Fair enough, didnt mean to sound terse to you..... Look at Oscar he hasnt had a meaningful fight since 03 Mosely...I dont put much stock in the Hopkins fight since Oscar didnt have a snowballs chance in hell of winning and Hopkins never really asserted himself until late in the fight and when he did Oscar got his liver checked... Luckily for Delahoya, Hopkins wasnt head hunting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fair enough, didnt mean to sound terse to you..... Look at Oscar he hasnt had a meaningful fight since 03 Mosely...I dont put much stock in the Hopkins fight since Oscar didnt have a snowballs chance in hell of winning and Hopkins never really asserted himself until late in the fight and when he did Oscar got his liver checked... Luckily for Delahoya, Hopkins wasnt head hunting

I agree Oscar has done nothing in the last 3 years or so.

But in the past he has always been willing to fight the best out there and I dont think anyone could say different to that.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cant wait.
    Um who has faced that much better of competition? Corley(at the time), Baldomir, Judah, Sosa, Gatti, N'Dou were are credible opponents. He nearly as good of opponents as anyone especially of late(minus the Mitchell fight). He has foughten the standing welterweight champion, former welterweight champion, WBC super lightweight champ. I think all the way back to 2002 Pacquaio has foughten better opponents, and same with Winky, and Taylor, but either than those three I can't think of anyone. Since then PAcquaio is only fighting his first real opponent since his first fight with MOrrales.

Thread Information