Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mamba
    I was just thinking this myself because im 16 and i think i will probably take your advice and start.
    to box professionally I think starting up to the age of 25 is ok. But to just box in the gym any age is ok I would think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Although don't go for broke with a professional boxer if you just started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello all :

That was the best answer I have heard yet ! I would like to add to this. In my years in the fight game, I have ran into this question many of times, and another question that goes hand in hand is peoples perception of peaking, due to age. A fighter peaks after years in the boxing game, reaching the peak has nothing to do with age....However, physical strength and endurance, stamina, these things are related to age. Let me put it this way.
    When I get a young fighter in my gym, 11-12 years old, I have them train 3 times a week, and I do not get mad when they miss training. When I get a 16-28 year old that is very serious about fighting, I have them train 5 days a week, with Saturday being optional. The older group will run everyday, 7 days a week. This training regimen is very hard. Boxing is a life style, a discipline, and it takes dedication. So to me the peak will come at about 4 years of training like this, then the crafty old gym workhorse will emerge, you know the guy that can go 100 rounds sparring and never tire, lol. But his decline is in his/hers strength and endurance and stamina.....what do you all think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post John.

I believe that a lot of guys that make a go of it, especially late bloomers in all seriousness have to approach it like a profession. One thing that should be noted that to reach the level in what we'd consider a fairly decent boxer takes years, even with talent it doesn't all happen over night. Boxing is learning in pieces and always a work in progress.

In regards to older fighters the body does change somewhat, and even if they're a workhorse in the gym they still have to keep from overtraining. But for one thing I'd rather be well trained than under trained.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellent Post CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

This aint been posted on for a good while now but i'm new to these forums and I have been thinking about getting involved in boxing, just as a means to keep fitness levels to a good standard. I'm 21 and at Uni about to go into my final year come september. I've been thinkin about heading over to the closest boxing gym around here but I've been putting it off and off for months now. I think the initial post on here was excellent and just what I needed to read! For me it is all about just getting the courage to go alone for the first time. My fitness aint bad, but I havent done sports for a good while now and I don't regularly workout, however I don't easily put on weight and my stamina has always been pretty good. The other month I went to a single kickboxing class with my brother and I very much enjoyed it, and I easily kept up with the aerobic part to the class.

Like I said its just about that initial push to get myself down there and book into a class. I always think that i'll be the newest person and a level behind everyone else, but then again beginners classes are for that kind of thing and I don't see them judging me in anyway shape or form.

Well I finish my exams in a week, and I need to let my knee heal from an accident I had recently and then I have no excuses not to go get involved. I don't intend to compete at any level, although if I enjoy it and get half decent I might compete in inter-club fights.

Good topic this though with some good advice and has opened my eyes a little bit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At 23?.. No, not at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nope. nate campbell, the former unified lightweight champion started fighting boxing one month before his 28th birthday, if i am not mistaken

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergio Martinez started boxing at 21, initially as something to help his fitness for foot ball. He like it so much he made the switch into boxing and has been fighting pro for years now.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No.

I am 57, and just coming up on 3 months since I started boxing training for the very first time.

My biggest disappointment so far? I would need some slightly expensive physical with MRI (in the US) and likely couldn't pass since I have a "history of high blood pressure". This seems to be a firm rule, even though my blood pressure stays normal and has been treated every since diagnosed a couple of years ago -- and the pills don't make me sleepy or anything.

Sure, I am never going to be a pro, and probably never even fight in the Master division, but I am ready to start bugging the coach to let me spar more and more seriously.

[Coach has known from the beginning that I would want to hit and get hit, but he is pretty careful with newbies and that is a good thing in general.]

Of course it helps that my head is like a cement block and my body pretty much doesn't mind being hit.

In fact one of my strongest reasons for sparring is that getting hit is sort of relaxing (at a reasonable level) and good for you in my opinion.

Besides, I can't be really sure I am learning anything useful from the techniques unless they hold up under real pressure with a fully resisting opponent...

The little bit of shadow sparring I have been able to do indicates that what coach has taught me is working, but I need to see it full force (eventually) to refine and develop the skills fully.

This (low level) sparring has also been good already for helping me overcome my biggest weakness: head movement due to lack of flexibility -- turns out I can slip and fade, and that doing so under the motivation of a punch is pretty compelling.

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by HerbM View Post
    No.

I am 57, and just coming up on 3 months since I started boxing training for the very first time.

My biggest disappointment so far? I would need some slightly expensive physical with MRI (in the US) and likely couldn't pass since I have a "history of high blood pressure". This seems to be a firm rule, even though my blood pressure stays normal and has been treated every since diagnosed a couple of years ago -- and the pills don't make me sleepy or anything.

Sure, I am never going to be a pro, and probably never even fight in the Master division, but I am ready to start bugging the coach to let me spar more and more seriously.

[Coach has known from the beginning that I would want to hit and get hit, but he is pretty careful with newbies and that is a good thing in general.]

Of course it helps that my head is like a cement block and my body pretty much doesn't mind being hit.

In fact one of my strongest reasons for sparring is that getting hit is sort of relaxing (at a reasonable level) and good for you in my opinion.

Besides, I can't be really sure I am learning anything useful from the techniques unless they hold up under real pressure with a fully resisting opponent...

The little bit of shadow sparring I have been able to do indicates that what coach has taught me is working, but I need to see it full force (eventually) to refine and develop the skills fully.

This (low level) sparring has also been good already for helping me overcome my biggest weakness: head movement due to lack of flexibility -- turns out I can slip and fade, and that doing so under the motivation of a punch is pretty compelling.

--
    HerbM

HAHA you don't hear that to often.. But when I started sparring I noticed the same thing.. I felt invigorated and relaxed after even shelling up and getting hit on my arms with decent power...

I've since learnt why and realise it is incredibly good for you, especially in modern society..
    Sparring and getting hit forces you to be in that moment. You immediately go back to our natural, animalistic, survival instincts.. All the distractions of life. Bills, work, family, responsibilities,,,, we rarely get a break from them... And laying down and watching TV doesn't count.. But when you spar, all those things drop away real quick, and our mind being clear of those things for even a few moments can be like an awakening.. You can breath better and stand straighter.. Everything has less weight suddenly, and each time you free yourself from that stuff, it gets a little harder for them to swollow you again completely..

On a non-boxing note, another interesting way to get a similar feeling, albeit a little stupid is to do this whenever you are stressed or about to deal with a stressful situation.

You take a deep breath in.. Not a straining breath, but just breath in a comfortable amount, then you hold your breath for as long as you can. You hold until that very point where you panic and literally can't hold it any more, then at that point you count to 3, and breath out all that crap air..
    At that moment where you kind of panic and feel like your going to not survive unless you breath, then count 3,,, it's at that point your brain clicks into survival mode and drops everything else away. You get a rush of adrenalin which does all sorts of good things for you psychologically, and you get right into that moment and can't really worry about anything else..

Anyway, that's just something fun for you to try anytime you feel like centering yourself.

Back on the subject of starting boxing :
    I havn't been to boxing training for 2 years now, since I moved away from my gym, however i'm back near it now so I should go back soon, I miss it..
    When I started their I was incredibly unfit. Could barely do 3 pushups and 0 sit ups (i could do 1000 crunches but that's different). I smoked a lot and had put a lot of toxins through my system..

But within 3 weeks of going there originally, I was able to run around the block then do 6 x 3 minute rounds of skipping plus pushups and lunges in between rounds.. Granted I had to stop for little breaks to catch my breath and prevent throwing up for smoking... But for someone who is very unfit, the first 2 or 3 times you exercise hard it will tear you a new ass.. Your body says, this is f'cked, i'm gonna feel so shit that you won't want to do that again.. literally anything after that though, your body realises that hey, we are doing this whether we like it or not, and it really quickly gets with the program and you'll be able to do about 500% more than you could do even 2 or 3 weeks back..

As for being new at a gym, the first time I walked up to sign up I was still in my suit and tie from work.. Everyone looked at me weird including the trainer.. But when I came back, of course I felt weird for a little bit, but by the end your happy, and then you just force yourself to second one, and there, your comfortable.. Withing a couple of training sessions you'll probably even see another new person come along...
    Last edited by Dizaster; 03-01-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have mentioned before that I am a Systema (Russian Martial Arts) guy, and the ideas of getting hit (and hitting) and doing a variety of breathing drills are right out of Systema.

Even exactly the idea, of holding your breath to try to get near that panicky feelling -- and ride it through, not really overcoming it, but finding a way to have peace with it.

The four principles of Systema work for just about any sport, but especially well for boxing: always be Relaxing, Breathing, Moving, and maintaining Form (posture and balance).

Those while HEETING are the keys to Systema.

I haven't mentioned that the only real issue that I have at 57 is some moderately severe and very chronic knee (and other large joint) arthritis.

My knees hurt almost all the time -- and frequently its the worst when I am sitting still or even lying in bed, but I seldom hurt at all when I am on the mat or in the ring.

The adrenaline and endorphins make the chronic aches and pains disappear.

As you say, there is something relaxing about getting a solid -- but non-damaging -- hit, both the hit itself and knowing you can survive it, roll with it, absorb it, dissipate it, and even use it to power your own counters.

I did a couple of rounds of jab only shadow sparring today and it was totally enjoyable as well, almost as good as real HEETING....

--
    HerbM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Starting late can have its advantages because you can train with a constant sense of urgency. It can force you to really condense your training to the most important elements. I remember the best thing that ever happened to me when I was playing bass guitar was being thrown into my first band with people who had been playing since they were children. It wasn't until I had my first gig booked that I realized how much time I had wasted and how little I really knew. Those first few gigs were disasters but in a few months I went from slipping in and out of time to being able to groove, create melodies, solo and above everything else, just fucking play.

There's a unique self-confidence you gain when you have to constantly choose to face and be put to shame by people who are so much better than you. People wonder where so many sluggers find the chin and heart that can sometimes just overwhelm even the most masterful of boxers. The fact is everytime they sparred they were at war. While the boxer remained untouched they had to force themselves to come forward. They had to do master and fall in love with the roadwork, floor work and other mundane activities that others see as boring torture.

There's also a certain sense of minimalism that can only come with age. In any craft you will find masters who start to show more and more signs of efficient and effective subtlety as they mature. I don't think all of this is the result of experience in their field but because they mature as a person. A 23 year old will be less inclined to make the same decision as the 6 ft 1 16 yr old junior welterweight trying to fight like Iron Mike Tyson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best Post ever! Perfect timing for me to read this. 38 years old and I have been bringing my 7 and 11 year old to the boxing gym for a couple months. I felt out of place just sitting there keeping an eye on my kids yet I felt foolish being out of shape and even asking to start myself. Seeing a couple of older guys in there did get me thinking a bit. It looks like a total blast.

...I start tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to box professionally I think starting up to the age of 25 is ok. But to just box in the gym any age is ok I would think.

Well.I'm going to start at 47 in 2 months

Thread Information