Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

A while back, a 52 year old male made a Pro-Debut after being exonerated of murder.

These people that say you can't, F! em, if there is a will there is a way"."

"Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind." -Jackie Joyner Kersee

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

whats your fıghtıng weıght? No ıts never too late. Except for people who have been ın 50 or 60 wars lıke holyfıeld--- you and I are alot more fresh than he would be at the same age. Look at Bowe---I know alot of guys ın theır 50s who never fought but would be much fresher and "younger" shall we say than Bowe was at 29 yrs old. Go for ıt. Never too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    whats your fıghtıng weıght? No ıts never too late. Except for people who have been ın 50 or 60 wars lıke holyfıeld--- you and I are alot more fresh than he would be at the same age. Look at Bowe---I know alot of guys ın theır 50s who never fought but would be much fresher and "younger" shall we say than Bowe was at 29 yrs old. Go for ıt. Never too late.
    I guess a rephrase of the question is more appropriate

How fast can a very late starter go pro in boxing?

Notwithstanding any amateur requirements which may apply officially or unofficially in any given state, I would DESTROY any cruiserweight pitted against me after 4 months of rigorous training, & likewise any1 else pitted against me every 2 weeks to a month thereafter"." If only I could find a trainer & manager. That's the MF'n TRUTH"."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for this thread! I am almost 22 and I haven't stepped in a boxing gym yet. this is certainly reassuring... tomorrow's the big day! gonna take a train to the next city over and see if I cant start boxing >

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never boxed when I was younger - big hole in my education! My wife gave me a heavy bag and some stupid gloves one Christmas about 15 years ago. Replaced with better quality and I have been Boxing ever since. Not interested in doing fights at that stage but more in the fitness regime required. Had a ball for a couple years and had a lot of stares and eyes rolling when I go for my run in the morning traffic at about 05h30-06h00. But I ignored that. Lot of people said I am stupid to do boxing and thai and that and the ever but they could never do what I achieved in the gym and later the club.
    I have a bad back with no cartilage anymore in lower back but the train9ing solved the constant pain as the back muscles became stronger and kept the vertebra from pinching the nerves so that was solved and avoided having an op. That alone was enough reward.
    Eventually persuaded by a friend to join them at a gym and enjoyed that even more. Gave the younger athletes a good run for their money fitness wise but still stayed with sparring only. Not the best defense boxer (just that tad too slow ha ha) but had a very good time. Then came Coved....
    2 years ago my one knee started acting up and the end result? Halve knee replacement last November. Recuperation and getting fit again is a long and painful road but I am back in full training and doing my 9 rounds every morning with double end ball and heavy bag and shadow boxing, etc. My aim is that I would like to join the club again. This morning started running 1st time in over 2 years, still not the best but working up the proper distance. Knee a bit iffy but all went well. All, the stares from the commuters to work are back again. Probably because of my atire and grey beard. Tuff sh*t to them.
    What has this to do with question of age and boxing?
    Coming April I will be 67........... If I can do it everybody can do it!
    Cheers!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey good for you! The staring commuters are wishing they could follow your example and determination. Probably a bunch of guys half your age wish they were in as good a shape. Keep at it!

Thread Information