Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best young Heavyweight prospect?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is the best young Heavyweight prospect?

Who is the best young Heavyweight prospect out there? I will give a short list, though if you think it is someone else go ahead and mention them.

Alexander Povetkin 11-0 (9)
    Christian Arreola 19-0 (17)
    Malik Scott 26-0 (10)
    Kevin Johnson 13-0-1 (5)
    Roman Greenburg 24-0 (17)
    Chazz Witherspoon 17-0 (11)
    JD Chapman 26-0 (23)
    Alonzo Butler 25-0-1 (1
    Travis Walker 23-0-1 (17)
    Shane Camerson 18-0 (16)
    Steve Herelius 13-0 (9)
    Egon Roth 17-0 (13)

I know its tough to pick one. I've got my thoughts, but I'm just curious to see what all you experts think.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is the best young Heavyweight prospect?

Well from the ones you listed I've only seen, Povetkin, Arreola, Scott, Greeburg, JD.
    Funny the youngest is 26 and the oldest is Hereluis whois 30 and I don't consider him young espcially taking into consideration he has only 13 fights.

Uuuummm! I think from that lot I would side with Greenburg slightly BUT he lacks power IMO, I also like Arreola but he lacks some skills and needs to work on that dept. I also think those 2 have fought the better opposition out of the lot.

I would also like to add Eddie Chambers & Dimitrenko to the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Goyo
    Who is the best young Heavyweight prospect out there? I will give a short list, though if you think it is someone else go ahead and mention them.

Alexander Povetkin 11-0 (9)
    Christian Arreola 19-0 (17)
    Malik Scott 26-0 (10)
    Kevin Johnson 13-0-1 (5)
    Roman Greenburg 24-0 (17)
    Chazz Witherspoon 17-0 (11)
    JD Chapman 26-0 (23)
    Alonzo Butler 25-0-1 (1
    Travis Walker 23-0-1 (17)
    Shane Camerson 18-0 (16)
    Steve Herelius 13-0 (9)
    Egon Roth 17-0 (13)

I know its tough to pick one. I've got my thoughts, but I'm just curious to see what all you experts think.
    CC #4 bro! good thread!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Chambers definitely belongs up there. He is so relaxed in the pocket, makes his punches worth his money and he's slick. He has great poise, punches in combinations and is very fast. You just wonder how his body will hold up at heavyweight. If you took anything out of the Rossey fight, it was that even though he carried some weight around his stomach, he got better as the fight went along against the physically imposing Rossey in the guy's backyard. He has all the skills and has a lot of polish, but he really isn't a natural heavyweight so you never know.

Witherspoon is class imo. 100 punches a round, he has good instincts and he is built like a tight end. Not the prettiest fighter But he is really going to be something. I mean, when he develops his all around skills a bit, how are heavyweights going to deal with that level of activity? A track and basketball star in school, very athletic. He will make a big splash imo.

Another guy, a guy I really like, and I've been talking about him for months and hopefully years to come, a guy who could completely change the face of the division if he is brought up right, Cleveland's Aaron Williams. Cruiserweight as of right now but only 20 years old. He'll grow into a heavyweight though. Had an excellent amateur career out of Cleveland. Now he's a pro. Really fast. Works well with both hands. Punches in high volume. Has good defense. Decent pop. Throws real straight and doesn't throw the same combo twice. Works good from the outside and and inside out. REALLY someone to look out for. He's another guy who has an exceedingly high workrate for a heavy guy. Won't be long before he starts headlining big cards, a gem.

Absolute manchild and I really really believe he has the potential to be something special. Watching him fight is like watching a welterweight, Paul Williams or somebody in terms of his offense fight, 6'2 I believe with a giant reach, and he knows how to slip a punch. I don't know what his plans are for his future and what division, he fought on the 18th as a cruiserweight, but he is going to be special and as a heavyweight imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I would definitely add Chambers and Dimitrenko. Don't count out Jason Estrada yet either. He looked like he got his act together, lost 20 lbs, for his last fight when he pushed around Zack Page. Taras Bidenko is another one. Vladimir Virchis. People say the heavyweight division is dead. I don't think so... There are a lot of talented guys out there. They've just got to move quicker... make these fights. How about a tournament between the top eight prospects, and the winner gets a title shot?

There is something extra-tough about Arreola that I like. He will be very tough to beat.

Also, Malik Scott has excellent skills. They've been protecting him for quite a while now. He's young, but I think just about now they will start to make their move with him. I think he will outbox Charles Shufford, something like 100-90, on Friday night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say Sam Peter age 26 W28 L1 D0 22KO'S number 1 WBC contender only defeat against devisions best Wlad and 2 good wins over James Toney

ICB Guest

Chazz Witherspoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    Yeah Chambers definitely belongs up there. He is so relaxed in the pocket, makes his punches worth his money and he's slick. He has great poise, punches in combinations and is very fast. You just wonder how his body will hold up at heavyweight. If you took anything out of the Rossey fight, it was that even though he carried some weight around his stomach, he got better as the fight went along against the physically imposing Rossey in the guy's backyard. He has all the skills and has a lot of polish, but he really isn't a natural heavyweight so you never know.

Witherspoon is class imo. 100 punches a round, he has good instincts and he is built like a tight end. Not the prettiest fighter But he is really going to be something. I mean, when he develops his all around skills a bit, how are heavyweights going to deal with that level of activity? A track and basketball star in school, very athletic. He will make a big splash imo.

Another guy, a guy I really like, and I've been talking about him for months and hopefully years to come, a guy who could completely change the face of the division if he is brought up right, Cleveland's Aaron Williams. Cruiserweight as of right now but only 20 years old. He'll grow into a heavyweight though. Had an excellent amateur career out of Cleveland. Now he's a pro. Really fast. Works well with both hands. Punches in high volume. Has good defense. Decent pop. Throws real straight and doesn't throw the same combo twice. Works good from the outside and and inside out. REALLY someone to look out for. He's another guy who has an exceedingly high workrate for a heavy guy. Won't be long before he starts headlining big cards, a gem.

Absolute manchild and I really really believe he has the potential to be something special. Watching him fight is like watching a welterweight, Paul Williams or somebody in terms of his offense fight, 6'2 I believe with a giant reach, and he knows how to slip a punch. I don't know what his plans are for his future and what division, he fought on the 18th as a cruiserweight, but he is going to be special and as a heavyweight imo.

Witherspoon needs to increase his KO power.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tysonbruno
    I would say Sam Peter age 26 W28 L1 D0 22KO'S number 1 WBC contender only defeat against devisions best Wlad and 2 good wins over James Toney
    I counted only one good win and one gifted decision...,but still big name no prospect anymore...

Hidden Content

Arturo "THUNDER" Gatti 1972-2009

To alcohol...the cause of and the solution to all of lifes problems...- Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peter has definately reached contender status. Dimitrenko is nearly bordering on it as well, though he really hasn't fought anyone. He's still a 'prospect'. Chambers too...he's real skilled but just a little too small, I think, in this day and age at heavy. He could certainly win a world title at Cruiser...maybe take over the division. How about Chambers vs. Chris Byrd? Here's a second list of less-experienced prospects. Alot of these guys are untested, and most of them I haven't even seen... Any feedback would be cool. Who are the future contenders from this pack?

Michael Marrone 18-0 (13)
    Teki Oruh 13-0-1 (5)
    Devin Vargas 11-0 (5)
    Joey Abell 14-1 (14)
    Bermane Stiverne 14-0 (14)
    Oleg Platov 25-1 (21)
    Mariusz Wach 12-0 (5)
    Rene Dettweiler 20-1 (10)
    Alex Mazikin 10-1 (2)
    Donnell Holmes 26-0-2 (23)

I suspect that Abell is somewhat of a novice. Vargas has skills, though I'm gonna say Wach and Mazikin would meet in the finals of a tournament between these guys.

El Kabong Guest

Chazz and Povetkin.....those are the best so far

Arreola and Vargas might have a shot too

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tekeh Oruh intrigues me. The guy is HUGE, and apparently he had a good amateur career before joining the military. I've seen video of the guy on another computer and he looked really fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a guy out of Canad named Bermaine "Beware" Stiverne. I'd keep an eye on him . He is 12-0 with all wins coming by ko. I have seen him fight twicw and he moves nicly for a big man. He is very atheltic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James Tony!

Thread Information