Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighters who retired at the right time.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters who retired at the right time.

Joe Calzaghe-
    Took on & beat up the undefeated IBF champ in Jeff Lacy. Took on Undefeated Kessler & grabbed 3 belts. Vindicated in his points win when Bhop went on to prove he had a lot left, just not enough for Calzaghe.

Andre Ward, Carl Froch, Jean Pascal, Jermaine Taylor all were coming into their own around Y2k8, but hadn't prove it to be worth him sticking around.

I think he could've beaten all except Ward, I could envision an ugly draw, which would've left question marks, just left at a great time and actually stayed retired.

Carl Froch,
    Robin Reid, Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Lucian Bute, Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler This resume is mas macho! Father time creeping up, shows possible passing of the guard when he rematches George Groves & SPARKED HIM!
    No better way to retire!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky as he was showing signs of age but would have lost his next fight.

Hagler sticking two fingers at the boxing world for not appreciating his greatness and leaving Leonard hanging.

Ricardo Lopez clears up his draw on his record to win and ride off into the sunset.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just reading the opening post, I don't agree with the choice of Naseem.

To leave like that, after being humiliated by MAB in the worst way (made ME a fan of Barrera )........ especially when he hadn't taken hardly ANY prior punishment in the ring.

It's not like he was worn out from a zillion wars in the ring. He had been dominant and was relatively unscathed.

Then.... to suffer an embarrassing loss like that and not even make an attempt to make amends..... no..... I don't think he retired at the right time.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

To leave like that, after being humiliated by MAB in the worst way (made ME a fan of Barrera )........ especially when he hadn't taken hardly ANY prior punishment in the ring.

It's not like he was worn out from a zillion wars in the ring. He had been dominant and was relatively unscathed.

Then.... to suffer an embarrassing loss like that and not even make an attempt to make amends..... no..... I don't think he retired at the right time.
    Naz won his last fight but was booed by fans. He seemed to have nothing left to get back to the top again.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Naz won his last fight but was booed by fans. He seemed to have nothing left to get back to the top again.

Then two things:

One, he crashed and burned rather quickly. Most of the time with boxers, the decline is gradual.... even if it appears to show up in any one fight.

Two, he had a fragile mentality. Once someone bullied him back and shoved his bravado right back at him, he mentally crumbled.

Huge talent... low on mental fortitude.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then two things:

One, he crashed and burned rather quickly. Most of the time with boxers, the decline is gradual.... even if it appears to show up in any one fight.

Two, he had a fragile mentality. Once someone bullied him back and shoved his bravado right back at him, he mentally crumbled.

Huge talent... low on mental fortitude.
    You are probably right on both issues.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler sticking two fingers at the boxing world for not appreciating his greatness and leaving Leonard hanging.

Ricardo Lopez clears up his draw on his record to win and ride off into the sunset.
    Rocky had 2 or 3 good fights left in him. Nino Valdez was scheduled for June/July 1956, and Rocky would have beaten him. Liston was in jail. Patterson was 20 years old. Who was left? Eddie Machen?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post

Rocky had 2 or 3 good fights left in him. Nino Valdez was scheduled for June/July 1956, and Rocky would have beaten him. Liston was in jail. Patterson was 20 years old. Who was left? Eddie Machen?
    I read that his back injury was the reason why he retired at the time he did.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read that his back injury was the reason why he retired at the time he did.
    Yes I read the same thing a couple of times. I think Archie Moore ruined Marciano's back, because Archie Moore was probably the most skilled boxer that he ever faced and I believe he made Marciano miss 75% of his punches. Marciano threw 800 punches that night which were pretty much all power punches. If he missed 600 punches, it's no wonder that he threw out his back and ruined his back. If this is the case then Archie Moore ended Marciano's career.

I can believe it because I don't know how a guy can crouch down sideways like Marciano did for the entire fight throwing bomb after bomb after bomb with all his might and all his power behind it without completely destroying his back.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking back through the thread, I can't agree with Hagler either.

C'mon! He loses a decision to Leonard and just walks away? Ok so he may have tried to get a rematch and wasn't able to. He should've tried harder. Called Leonard out. No way Hagler fights the same stupid fight he fought the first time around.

That must've left such a BAD TASTE in Hagler's mouth. Leonard was and ATG, and maybe even TBE in my book... but his reign wasn't middleweight. That was Hagler's domain. For Leonard to take that away from him had to sting like hell.

Especially when Hagler had already dismantled the fearsome Hearns in 3 rounds. Where the hell was THAT Hagler against Leonard?

No... Hagler didn't retire at the right time.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

C'mon! He loses a decision to Leonard and just walks away? Ok so he may have tried to get a rematch and wasn't able to. He should've tried harder. Called Leonard out. No way Hagler fights the same stupid fight he fought the first time around.

That must've left such a BAD TASTE in Hagler's mouth. Leonard was and ATG, and maybe even TBE in my book... but his reign wasn't middleweight. That was Hagler's domain. For Leonard to take that away from him had to sting like hell.

Especially when Hagler had already dismantled the fearsome Hearns in 3 rounds. Where the hell was THAT Hagler against Leonard?

Yeah I agree with that. Hagler may have been exposed as the stereotypical bully that the first time somebody stands up to them and whips them they just totally collapse and that is the end of them.

I believe he should have fought on. What the hell would he want to go out on a bitter note like that?

Oh and there's no way that Sugar Ray Leonard takes another chance and takes on that beast again....because you just know that the next Marvin Hagler that shows up will literally rip his head off.

I can never understand why Hagler decided to fight orthodox against Leonard to try to prove that he could box as well as Leonard.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I agree with that. Hagler may have been exposed as the stereotypical bully that the first time somebody stands up to them and whips them they just totally collapse and that is the end of them.

I believe he should have fought on. What the hell would he want to go out on a bitter note like that?

Oh and there's no way that Sugar Ray Leonard takes another chance and takes on that beast again....because you just know that the next Marvin Hagler that shows up will literally rip his head off.

I can never understand why Hagler decided to fight orthodox against Leonard to try to prove that he could box as well as Leonard.

If anyone ever starts a thread titled "The Stupidest Ring Strategies of All Time", Hagler against Leonard takes top honors.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If anyone ever starts a thread titled "The Stupidest Ring Strategies of All Time", Hagler against Leonard takes top honors.
    I think Leonard, being the diva that he was at that time, would have asked for more concessions to face Hagler that would have been too unbearable for Marvin to accept so he just called it a day. Leonard was the Canelo of his time.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never liked Leonard until he fought Camacho, then I was rooting for him because I didnt like Camacho AND because Leonard was old and the underdog.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never liked Leonard until he fought Camacho, then I was rooting for him because I didnt like Camacho AND because Leonard was old and the underdog.
    I loved it when Camacho and Norris kicked Leonard's ass. He deserved it for his shenanigans he used against Hagler, Hearns and Lalonde.

Thread Information